PDA

View Full Version : Polytheistic Christian's?

David19
July 21st, 2006, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering, are there any Christian witches, Christian Wiccan's, Christo-pagans (or just Christian's) here, who would call themselves polytheistic?.

I know that some people do believe that 'all gods are one' and that's a cool belief to have, but this is something i've been curious about, like, do you believe YHWH (& Jesus, Mary, etc) are 3 out of the many gods exist (like would you accept that people have had seperate spiritual experiences with Apollo or Zeus or Isis, for example).

I know that some 'pagans' and other Christian's (& other's) say that YHWH is against other gods (but i'm pretty sure YHWH only says 'not to have any gods before me', not that they don't exist), even though i'm not Christian, and am a 'pagan' i've noticed the tendancy of some 'pagans' to feel that Christianity (or Judaism or Islam, etc) are somehow at 'odds' with 'their' religion, IMO, i don't think they are, 'cause i can see YHWH, Jesus, Mary, etc as existing, i don't actually worship them but i don't see how it's somehow at 'odds' with other religions (just like a Hellenic recon worships the Greek gods but that doesn't deny the existance of the Sumerian gods, etc).

I'm not sure if that last part made any sense, but i hope it did.

Anyway, what are your thoughts/beliefs/opinions?.

Neosnoia
July 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM
I'm not a polytheist, so I hope you don't mind if I reply? :)

You made an interesting comment:

I know that some 'pagans' and other Christian's (& other's) say that YHWH is against other gods (but i'm pretty sure YHWH only says 'not to have any gods before me', not that they don't exist),

Early Judaism was polytheistic in that, while they only worshipped Yahweh, they did think there were other Gods. Yahweh was one God out of many.

As time passed the view changed to an actual monotheism where the Jews thought their God was the ONLY God.

I never knew that when I used to be a fundamentalist. I thought Judaism was always monotheistic. Just thought it was cool and that I'd share.

ViolinGoddess
July 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM
I don't know if you'd call me a polytheist or not. I beleive in the christian God because I'm a christian. But when other people of different religions tell me of their religous or spiritual experiences, I don't discount them. I think they're valid and true. But I'm not sure if I beleive in other gods as well as the christian God, or if I just beleive that all gods are one. In which case I chose to worship deity as it's expressed through the christian religion. I'm still figuring it out.

Violin Goddess

Ryden
July 25th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I wouldn't consider myself polythiestic in a sense that I worship one God. As a pagan I was a hard polythiest, so I don't follow the "all gods are one" philosophy.

do you believe YHWH (& Jesus, Mary, etc) are 3 out of the many gods exist (like would you accept that people have had seperate spiritual experiences with Apollo or Zeus or Isis, for example).
I don't believe that Mary is a Goddess, or that God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are seperate, so they wouldn't be three Gods to me. I don't discredit other people's spiritual experiences in the least.

Meryln2k
July 28th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I believe that any Christian denomination that has saints is implicitly polytheistic. I am Christo-pagan myself, but while I accept the Old Gods, I also work with a couple of Orhtodox saints as newer deities (my personal fave is St. John of San Francisco).

starfire
July 28th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Don't know what is considered polythiestic. I was taught that in the commandments that you are not to put other "Gods before me", I was raised Catholic yet like many people I have an open mind, and find other religions and other christian faiths interesting. I take the basic and leave what doesn't speak to me behind. So I guess in that respect when someone says they are at odds with their religion, for me that means I don't believe all the catholic religion rules, and I do believe that the bible or other documents have been re-written several times, so who is to say that they are exactly as they were written in the original form. Also how do we know what was not printed due to the fact that at the time someone thought it not necessary or perhaps it would contradict something else. So don't know if that helps or not. I am not pagan, but don't have any problem with their beliefs, and some things I find quite interesting and scientific and logical, so go figure

Anita
December 19th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I am fully polytheistic. I believe there are many gods. I worship YHWH as my primary deity and as a trinitarian god. I have also been called by Bast and Het-Heret (Hathor)

Arion
December 19th, 2006, 11:43 PM
[FONT=Tahoma]I don't believe that Mary is a Goddess, or that God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are seperate, so they wouldn't be three Gods to me. I don't discredit other people's spiritual experiences in the least.

I agree with you, I don't see Mary as a goddess within Christian context, or that the father, son and Holy Spirit are seperate. I think the Father and the Son are understood as two manifestations of the Holy Spirit, but I'm no expert on Christianity. I think Pagans saying that Jesus and Mary are gods is applying their own religious beliefs onto another religion in which it makes no sense. Christianity is a seperate religion from polytheistic pagan religions, and it is a monotheism which has different ideas about the Divine than polytheistic faiths. Trying to equate one with the other makes no sense, IMO.

Mab
December 20th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Xtian witch here. I believe all "gods & goddesses" are aspects of a whole. Why not call them by different names to access the part you need at the time ?

TheWanderer
December 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM
I see God/Jesus/HS as three aspects of One God. Mary is a venerable human, but no more. I can understand the Pagan tendency to want to make her a goddess in her own right (as many of my pagan and Christian-turned-pagan friends do, but I do not.
As for Saints, I hold them on the same principle as Mary. Venerable persons who have obtained a right to be put in a special place and honored in a special way.

LadyCelt
April 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'm a christian, but not a witch. yet, I am constantly troubled by this question for myself. I just don't see God as only male and it doesn't make sense to me cause life, nature, etc are not only male. I can see how people break it down to god or goddess as male or female traits. But, I don't know if I could feel seperate gods are real. I think part of it is living so far in the future from way back when that was how things were. Maybe if I lived in the past, it would be different.