View Full Version : When to introduce a newbie...

July 22nd, 2006, 07:29 AM
Well so far Sneezy hasn't been responding well to his medications, there has been little change at all, and he's gotten "the runs" and sort of crawls about like a zombie. For those of you who knows his story I abopted him almost abandoned and near dying from the labored breathing he's been suffuring from most of his life.

The vet says his lungs are probley just detorating and if he dosn't respond to the medication I should just put him down, and I agree. Poor honey has had a very harsh life until two months ago when I adopted him.

But the question remains of his cage mate Hurley. Hurley is still new and he loves Sneezy half to death. It's going to break my heart to have to put an end to there time togther, but naturally I don't want him to be alone so I do plan to intoduce a new cage mate for him to love.

The question is when? Should I do it before I make the harsh descion to put Sneezy out of his pain so Hurley isn't at all alone? Or should I wait, give me and himself some time to mourn then introduce a new friend for him? Which would be easier for Hurley?

person of shadow
July 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM
this is a tough desicion, I know what it's like. It sounds kind of mean, but the best thing to do is to get one as soon as you can after. Though it may seem like your are forgetting Sneezy, it's better for Hurley.

I'm sorry that his has happened to you.:( I do hope everything turns out ok.

July 23rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
I would have to agree, do try to find a new playmate asap.
Make sure to change the cage around a little and remove / clean things that may smell or remind Hurley of Sneezy. They can get really lonely and kind of crazy when they can still smell their buddy around after they are gone. Waiting a day or two so Hurley understands Sneezy isn't coming back wouldn't be a bad idea, but I wouldn't leave it so long that he starts getting lonely or frightened.
I really feel for you and your little friends.
I'm glad Sneezy could be with you for the last part of his life, poor guy sounds like he's had a rough time.
Good luck.

July 24th, 2006, 03:34 AM
By the sounds of things, Sneezy may make the decision for you. I"m sorry Hun, but when they get diarrhea and that old and ill... welll... any time now. I'm sure Hurley knows too, rats are very smart and perceptive.

As for Sneezy, don't pick him up unless you have to, but pet him and let him know it's OK to let go.

I would Waite until Sneezy goes, and get him a friend in about 2 -3 days.