PDA

View Full Version : Where do we all come from?

Nitefalle
July 23rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
I was just curious as to how similar our respective paths are. I suppose when I think of this type of path (green, hedge, kitchen, etc) I tend to think of Western wise women, little European villages, basically in sort of a neo-celtic vein. This is probably because I fall into that category; I work with the celto-germanic gods and am slowly spiraling towards Celtic Recon with strong Germanic influences. I realized how narrow this view was and wanted to see just how diverse we really are. Any agnostic, kemetic, buddhist, shinto, hindu, etc. witches out there that follow the natural witch path?

Morr
July 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
I am an Irish Reconstructionist.

Zephyrstorm
July 23rd, 2006, 12:16 PM
I'm Kemetic Orthodox, but I don't let that interact with my Kitchen Witchcraft. I keep them completely separate. :)

Pagan Mantis
July 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
I consider myself simply Green. I have Celtic influences, as family from Ireland raised me, but don't really think of myself as anything but solitary and Green.

Tanya
July 23rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
I would say I'm a non-demoninational Wiccan. This end of magic is in my blood, passed down from my great grandmother, an interest in healing, herbalism and a tradition of magic songs and poems

Sionnach le Fey
July 24th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Heh, I'm a bit of everything these days. But recently I've been drawn to the Kemetic side of things.

adrianne
July 24th, 2006, 03:28 AM
I am a free Kemetic and a mystic Christian.

Philosophia
July 24th, 2006, 03:42 AM
A Dianic witch who includes some Gods as well.

ap Dafydd
July 24th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I was just curious as to how similar our respective paths are. I suppose when I think of this type of path (green, hedge, kitchen, etc) I tend to think of Western wise women, little European villages, basically in sort of a neo-celtic vein. This is probably because I fall into that category; I work with the celto-germanic gods and am slowly spiraling towards Celtic Recon with strong Germanic influences. I realized how narrow this view was and wanted to see just how diverse we really are. Any agnostic, kemetic, buddhist, shinto, hindu, etc. witches out there that follow the natural witch path?

Not a woman and don't live in a village but...

Welsh/Celtic by inclination.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Crysiira
July 24th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I'm somewhere in the woods... The path is green... I haven't seen the main path in quite awhile... I think I may have followed deer tracks by mistake and now I'm lost in the underbrush... But I'm enjoying it. :hahugh:

Crystal Raven
July 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM
in the woods as well, but a Celtic Dianic Flavoured Hedge Witch :spaceman:

MoonDragn
July 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I'm not a woman either, but I sort of lean towards Dianic. I however do not associate with traditional gods/goddesses. The goddess that I worship has no name that I know of and I never thought to ask what her name was. She's just the goddess. However, I have dreamed of Brigitte so I wonder if she identifies herself with her. My goddess has fiery red hair and is fair skinned with an almost pale complexion. Her hair almost bright orange and looks like it has a life of it's own.

misty
July 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I'm just me...I don't follow or come from any certain path.

Witchy_Momma
July 26th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I consider myself a Celtic Fae Witch.

Leslie

Nitefalle
July 27th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm Kemetic Orthodox, but I don't let that interact with my Kitchen Witchcraft. I keep them completely separate. :)

I must admit, I am completely ignorant of Kemetic ways. Do you keep them separate out of a personal preference, or is there no place in Kemeticism for Kitchen Witchy ways?

ETA - To all the guys, I say HECK YA!

Zephyrstorm
July 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I must admit, I am completely ignorant of Kemetic ways. Do you keep them separate out of a personal preference, or is there no place in Kemeticism for Kitchen Witchy ways?

ETA - To all the guys, I say HECK YA!

I suppose I could work with Kemetic Gods in my Kitchen Witch stuff, but there are other Gods who've laid claim to those practices in my house, and you don't combine Gods when you're Kemetic Orthodox.

You use Egyptian ways to worship the Egyptian Gods and use other ways to worship those Gods who aren't Kemetic.

That's all. I guess it's as much personal preference as anything. :)
Hadn't really thought about my motivation, thanks for asking! Its good to think about such things.

Tigereye
September 8th, 2006, 04:28 AM
I used to be agnostic, but not anymore.
I'm animistic/something something... still figuring it out! ;)

Duwayitheru
September 17th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I am very similiar to Zephyrstorm in this regard. I'm another Kemetic Orthodox, but it doesn't mix in with my witchcraft. The two sort of started together but split off into seperate ways. My witchcraft mostly does not involve any Deities actually. Brighid on occasion makes Herself known, so I do have a little kitchen shrine to Her.

There is some Celtic in my witchraft for sure, and you'll find some Shinto and Japanese folk lore there too. Even a little Native American Indian (Abenaki). Blame my grandparents and my ancestors. :D I use to have a forest for a back yard, now not so much in my apartment. It's been difficult to adjust.. :/

Semjaza
September 17th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Hmmm... Germano-Celtic, Celto-Germanic, I'm sure there's a Rhine joke in that mess somewhere... :) I'm a hedgewitch of the 'reconstructionist' variety (haegtessa), interested in psychotropic plants, Anglo-Saxon witch deities, and the Celtic Faery Faith. I also like traditional witchcraft of the 'magisterial' variety, and the witch master/cunning folk practices and faery lore of Nova Scotia, which is where I come from...

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF

Xirian
September 19th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I have finally realized, after much resistence, that my spiritual path is that of a, what many would call a green/hedge/kitchen witch. I feel compelled to (and really always have, but have been supressing it), to incorporate my spiritual practices into my daily life. It appears I've been doing that all along, but wasn't as aware of it as maybe I should have been. It was the first information that I had read about when I started trying to find information about paganism and found that I could incorporate what I was already doing, which was studying herbs and stones for medicinal purposes, into my life and what I really felt I was missing, a spiritual path. I was supressing my spirituality after having left the Jehovah's Witnesses. I didn't know the first thing about paganism then. I found a book by Rae Beth that got my foot in the door, so to speak, but I took what I could from it then. I've since realized that my spiritual path is part of my life and that it would be weird for me not to incorporate these spiritual elements into my daily life.

I probably got a little to wordy for this thread, but it just sparked some thoughts in me that I've been having lately. Sort of a new realization of old practices of mine. lol

However, I am studying Etruscan Reconstructionism and work with Etruscan deities.

covenofkeys
September 21st, 2006, 07:04 PM
where do we come from? i came from my parents actually! lol

Faelon_Moon_Hawk
September 25th, 2006, 10:26 PM

My path has a number of different influences... There is definately some wiccan influence in there, along with traditional witchcraft or cunning craft of the northern european area. My gods are Bast and Ullr, though I am drawn to the Norns and perhaps the Morrigan too. I also love herbs, and herbcraft in all manner; magickal and mundane. I try to live as natural a life as i can, buying local organic foods, using more natural cleaning supplies, etc.

Desert_Witch
December 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Oh geez. this is a tough one for me. I usually take the easy way out and just call myself Witch and let others try and define me from there:lol: But my Path involves teachings from my Scilian Grandparents/Great Grandparents from my Mother (all of whom woulf freak if called a Witch), as well as what I have been taught by various Native teachers (I am a Cherokee mixed blood) and also general Craft teachings, plus the Traditional Wiccan my Coven teaches. This is all gonna synthisize into a Family Tradition that I hope to pass on to my kids.

I do not teach Trad Wicca so I do not generaly call myself Wiccan, although I have been an Initiate for around five years or so and am still active within my Coven and our Mother Coven. I find the Higharchy to be counter productive to the empowerment of students. "Non greater, none lesser-all are equal" except we are wearing these cords that say I am a bigger witch than you!:lol: I won't say that Trad Wicca is wrong or anything, it is just not the vehicle I use to empower my students. Those that want three Degrees and all that are refered to one of the Trad Covens in my area. My Students will recieve Initiation as a Witch if desired, but they are told that i do not elevate-the Gods do. I teach each Student to find their own Path.

I guess what I am getting at is that in a round about way I am an American Cunning Man. (Hey that sounds cool, I think I will put that as my Title!)

Romani Vixen
December 23rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
I am Kemetic Orthodox. I keep my hedge witchery seperate from it.

Thunder
December 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
I came from a cozy little nest on a fencepost next to a field of winter wheat on a farm in Saskatchewan.

Twinkle
December 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
LOL!! Thunder!!!

I'm a Hellenic Reconstructionist

Adrianus
December 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I am a Trad Witch. While many Trad Witches do not recognize gods (via belief that we (all spirits) are all equal), the tradition that I follow does recognize the Roman gods, especially Jupiter, Apollo, and Diana. This probably comes from the days when Britain was Roman. We have daily libations. I am very interested in Roman Recon.

Nitefalle
December 27th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Very interesting, Adrianus! Do you give daily libations to all three of your mentioned Gods, or just one in particular that you feel an affinity to above the others? Were you to become a Roman Recon, would you blend your current path with Roman ways? Or would you switch cold turkey?

AmbivalentMirage
December 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hmmm.

My path is kind of an interweaving of Judaism and witchcraft. I try to bring nature-oriented and mystical elements (mostly kitchen-witch kind of stuff) into my Jewish practices and faith, but, in a way I keep them separated. I do not alter the traditional rituals or prayers in my siddur (prayer book), but I recognize a mystical element which is missing from the more traditional side of Judaism. It's a mix of folk magic and traditional religion. :)

So, in other words, you might find me at my stove casting a protection spell with some herbs while I make my breakfast... this is, of course, right after I've finished my morning prayers. ;)

Nitefalle
December 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM
That is very cool, AmbivalentMirage, I love to hear when people put a new spin on something old. Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing.

Adrianus
January 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Very interesting, Adrianus! Do you give daily libations to all three of your mentioned Gods, or just one in particular that you feel an affinity to above the others? Were you to become a Roman Recon, would you blend your current path with Roman ways? Or would you switch cold turkey?

Question 1, 2) Libations to all three every morning, Jupiter has priority, Apollo is my favorite.

Question 3,4) The answers to these questions are very complicated. In general, the Roman religion and Trad Witchcraft are different religions and are best kept separate.

Nevertheless, there are some things done in the Trad Craft that could be done in the Roman manner without offending the Roman gods. But these "things" could never involve any of the Roman gods directly in a Craft rite. The Roman gods, according to Roman religion, would be highly offended if their servants stuck them into a witchcraft rite. Witchcraft was always seen as strictly alien to Rome. Italian witchcraft did not come from Rome and was never welcomed in Rome although it was usually tolerated.

That said, I am aware that in times of extreme danger, the priests of Jupiter, if not the entire college of flamens (or high priests of Rome) would cast a curse on an enemy of Rome. However, other uses of spells and curses were not done as it was seen as unnecessary.

Also, I am a Trad Crafter, which has a very different view of the gods than in Wicca. We simply do not search and find gods we like to be a male god and female goddess. That is set by tradition. Many Trad Craft traditions have no gods at all. Or, I believe one could select to follow another religion in paralell to the Craft, if it did not conflict with the Craft. In this regard, as an example, one could never be a Christian and a Trad Crafter.

As it happens, I believe I spent many lives in ancient Rome. So, ever since I was a boy I have felt a closeness to Apollo and some of the other gods. I think it is a horrible shame this great religion did not continue as it had for so many centuries.

In any event, these are my thoughts.