PDA

View Full Version : Going to the gyno tomorrow for pre-pregnancy stuff!

Morr
July 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM
To get a regular check up and ask him Qs about Pre-Pregnancy stuff.

I dislike doctors greatly, so I hope I wont be disappointed by this one...

Any Qs I should ask him? Any advice?

Is 8 months before we attempt at conception too early to start asking the gyno for pregnancy Qs?

:boing:

I'm excited but scared all at the same time!!

RubyRose
July 25th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Sorry Morr, I can't be much help. The first time I went to a Gynocologist was when I was around 10 weeks pregnant with Xander. I should have gone back 6 weeks after I gave birth, but they couldn't fit me in, until 4 months after he was born, and then I completely forgot about having made the appointment, until several days later. Needless to say I wasn't impressed with how I was treated by my Gynocologist the day I gave birth to Xander, and the four days following the birth while I was in the hospital. She made it to the hospital in time to stitch me up after the birth. Spoke to me, maybe three times, for all off maybe a minute. Yeah ... she came across as a lovely woman while I was pregnant though.

RubyRose
July 25th, 2006, 12:44 PM
8 months probably isn't too early ... can't hurt to be prepared.

Morr
July 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks Ruby!

I appriciate it :)

I'm sorry you had a yicky situation with your gyno!

moonbride
July 25th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's ever too early to start asking questions and getting yourself prepared. I, however, wouldn't know what that's like since all three of the kids I gave birth to were unexpected LOL. Happy little surprises is what you could call them. I was lucky in the way that the two doctors I had for all of them were wonderful. I felt like I was really taken care of in each case.

As far as what to ask... I guess I don't really know how to answer that one, but I would say to just ask anything that might be on your mind or a concern. I'm sure they've heard it all at least once ;)

Good luck to you!

Morr
July 25th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Thank you moonbride :D

Aleannah
July 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM
8 months isn't too early...it gives you time to get your body prepared (i.e. taking the right vitamins, eating the right foods, making sure your body can/will handle the pregnancy well). My gyno was great - he was very caring and actually listened to any problems or concerns I had and was great in the follow-up care as well. Best of luck to you! :hugz:

Morr
July 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks!

The thing is, that I will be moving to the US in a couple of months, so my next gyno appt will be with a different gyno. So this one wont be doing the whole follow up stuff and conception and pregnancy care.

But I guess it doesnt matter, since this is just the very first step with the whole thing.

Thanks!

Ravenna Angellin
July 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM
It's never too early to start planning for a baby. Like someone else said, it gives you enough time to begin taking pre-natal vitamins, start eating properly, and even a light exercise program would be beneficial.

My boys were both surprises, but I had been keeping track of my cycles for so long, I knew fairly early on that I was pregnant. If you don't track your cycles, it's a good time to start doing so now, and can even help get a more accurate due date when you do get pregnant. For example, I have a 26 day cycle, which made my due date more accurate than the one my doc gave me initially from going off the 28 day cycle that many women seem to have.

Also, if you are on birth control now, it may slow down your chances of getting pregnant when are ready to. My birth control pills made me "sterile" for about 3 months, but some women find that it can take from six months to a year to conceive after stopping birth control.

Either way, good luck on all fronts, and don't worry about the gyno switch. It'll all wind up fine in the end.

Huggles!!

~ Ravenna

Atalante
July 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Hi,
next week I'll also go to the gyno to "pregnancy check-up" - I usually don't like going to doctors, but this time, I'm rather looking forward...
I married in May, and I have a seven-year-old-son (who is a surprise, too - and this time I was looking forward to "plan" a baby - as long as this term fits for it... I want to be prepared somehow, physically as well as spiritually...)
I think 8 months isn't too early - although we want to "start" next month.... :boing:
I wanted to go earlier, but my gyno closed, so I had to find a new one... Not easy...
I'm not sure about the questions myself - okay, some health questions...
What are you going to ask?
Greetings
Atalante

Autumn
July 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
get a script for prenatal vitamins and a copy of your chart, if it's in english.

The prenatal vitamines will help prevent some birth defects as well as getting your body extra healthy to start with. It'll be much more important to be selective in your choice of providers once you get here.

Morr
July 29th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys.

I went to the gyno on Wedensday.

He told me to start taking follic acid 3 months before we begin trying to concieve. He also reccomended that we keep using condoms, and not to go on the pill or any other hormonal type birth control, as we will want to ttc in less than a year and there is no reason to mess with my hormones or cycle for such a short amount of time. He also said that since I am at a good weight for my height, and since I quick smoking 2 months ago, as well as after looking at my medical history in the past couple of years, he said there is no need to change my diet at the moment.

He examined me, said everything looks perfectly healthy down there, and that my uterus is at the right size, etc.

So, I guess in a few months I will be looking for follic acid, and going to a gyno again for further talk about ttc as March gets closer :)

Thank you everyone for your advice and tips :)

RubyRose
July 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Thanks Ruby!

I appriciate it :)

I'm sorry you had a yicky situation with your gyno!

Yeah ... next time round I'm going to look into hospitals and Gynocologists.

Oh ... when you do get pregnant is when the fun really starts ... if you don't like needles or having blood drawn ... well you're in for a treat.

Morr
July 29th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah ... next time round I'm going to look into hospitals and Gynocologists.

Oh ... when you do get pregnant is when the fun really starts ... if you don't like needles or having blood drawn ... well you're in for a treat.

Heh.

I have no problems with needles or having blood drawn ;)

I'm looking forwrd to being pregnant.

Sage Rainsong
July 29th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Well it sounds like you are well on your way Morr. Congrats. Oh and here is a link that talks about foods with folic acid in them in case you need it: http://www.4woman.gov/faq/Easyread/folic-etr.htm

Ravenna Angellin
July 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Heh.

I have no problems with needles or having blood drawn ;)

I'm looking forwrd to being pregnant.

*Happy Dance!* I love babies!

You and the blood drawers are going to become such great friends, lol. I was a regular during my pregnancy. And then when they thought I gestational diabetes and had to come back for the 4 hours repeated blood drawings we had such fun, haha!

Pregnancy is great, though... I still remember how I felt the day I first heard Aiden's heartbeat whilst he was in the womb. I cried it was such a beautiful sound. I think you will find it to be both a wonderful experience and also the "get it out of me right now!" experience. You'll love every minute of it.

Either way, keep us all posted on the journey towards pregnancy! _happydanc :hugz:

~ Ravenna

Morr
July 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM
*Happy Dance!* I love babies!

You and the blood drawers are going to become such great friends, lol. I was a regular during my pregnancy. And then when they thought I gestational diabetes and had to come back for the 4 hours repeated blood drawings we had such fun, haha!

Pregnancy is great, though... I still remember how I felt the day I first heard Aiden's heartbeat whilst he was in the womb. I cried it was such a beautiful sound. I think you will find it to be both a wonderful experience and also the "get it out of me right now!" experience. You'll love every minute of it.

Either way, keep us all posted on the journey towards pregnancy! _happydanc :hugz:

~ Ravenna

I definitly will keep ya'll updated :)

We are both very excited and eager, but we agreed that we wont start the baby making deal till we are financially stable, and till we have a good family medical inssurance plan. If we get those before March, I might be announcing I'm pregnant sooner :lol: But for now, March 2007 it is!

Damn, I wish I could find a -- Going to begin ttc in _______ -- type of ticker :lol:

Oh well!

And yes, I am sure I'm going to turn into a great big pile of mush when I hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time. So will semi. But he'll never admit it :lol:

Chesna
July 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Ohhh soo happy for you!! :hugz: So you will be getting vitamins in late dec or early jan!!! not that far off!! Ohhh baby vibes!!!

Morr
July 29th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Hehehe, thanks Chesna ;)

Seren_
July 29th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I definitly will keep ya'll updated :)

We are both very excited and eager, but we agreed that we wont start the baby making deal till we are financially stable, and till we have a good family medical inssurance plan. If we get those before March, I might be announcing I'm pregnant sooner :lol: But for now, March 2007 it is!

Damn, I wish I could find a -- Going to begin ttc in _______ -- type of ticker :lol:

Oh well!

And yes, I am sure I'm going to turn into a great big pile of mush when I hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time. So will semi. But he'll never admit it :lol:

Awww. My husband was fine until our second ultrasound when we found out the sex of the baby. Then he turned to mush. I think that's when he realised it was happening. To be able to label this previously non-descript bump/baby that I was carrying around his "son" for the first time, it hit home that he was going to be a dad.

Ravenna Angellin
July 29th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Awww. My husband was fine until our second ultrasound when we found out the sex of the baby. Then he turned to mush. I think that's when he realised it was happening. To be able to label this previously non-descript bump/baby that I was carrying around his "son" for the first time, it hit home that he was going to be a dad.

AWWWW! That's soo sweet! My kids' dad really didn't react much during the pregnancies... just during delivery. Though I walked around for at least 4 months calling my youngest "Baby Blobula", lol. We had a few snafus during the first trimester and I got an 8 week ultrasound and he looked like a little blob... hence the name, lol!

~ Ravenna

Atalante
August 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Hi,
I went to the doctor today. He was very nice (I was there, as mentioned, for the first time, after a friend's recommendation).
It's everything okay, I bought folic acid already (*ggg*) and we'll "start" next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)
Bright blessings
Atalante