PDA

View Full Version : Private Christian Schools in the US?

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 12:40 AM
my sister-in-law(this is the good sister in law not the evil one) is considering placing her kids in a private school. It's $200 per month ($100 per child), supplies are provided by the school, and the children are allowed to work at their own pace, doing the level of schoolwork that they are suited to.

Then she tells me that she was told that they use corporal punishment. In other words, they spank kids.

They also couched her on how to react when her kids come home telling stories. I.E. to write off whatever her kids might tell her that is negative as a lie.

They also told her that, should they expel her children from their school, she would still be required to pay the monthly tuition costs.

She was also told that next year they would expect her to attend their church. I'm not sure if that's actually a Red Flag or not. As I said, it's a Christian school. Baptist, in fact. But I have never heard of any other such school making such a requirement.

this just sounds way off to me. any opinions welcome.

GEBS
July 31st, 2006, 12:55 AM
My son went to a similar school. They didn't require that we attended their church but they "strongly recommended" that we become an active part of the congregation. The rest of it sounds pretty close to the same requirements that his school had (except it was $350 a month and they didn't provide the supplies).

Their rules were a little strange for me but we decided to have him attend anyway. I didn't attend public school and I didn't want my son to either. This particular school was not my first or even second choice but his father insisted. We kept him there for a couple of years and we never had a single problem with stories or discipline. As he got older though he said that he didn't believe the things they were teaching him regarding his spirituality and asked that he attend a different school. He said he felt alone there knowing that all of his friends believed the teachings and he did not. We let him switch schools but I am still glad he had the experience. He said that it helped him to understand how to talk to his dad without his dad knowing he is not a Christian.

Overall it was a good experience for us.

LadyKaty
July 31st, 2006, 02:34 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA.

The school is coaching her on how to react when her children come home with stories that paint the school in a negative light? And that coaching is to treat her children as liars?

You've got to be sh*tting me.

That's just wrong, I don't care what kind of school it is.

There are lots of parochial schools that don't do that. My mother has been teaching at a Catholic school for, oh gosh, let me think....I'm almost 31, and she started teaching there when I was 7, oh 24 years now. No corporal punishment, from the same time that the state banned the use of corporal punishment in public schools. No coaching parents to think that any negative reports about the school the kids come home with is a lie. None of that.

I just don't think it's a very Christian attitude to teach parents that if their kids are coming home telling them, "Mrs. So-n-so smacked Jimmy across the face today," that it's a flat-out lie. I mean, a Christian school shouldn't be afraid of parents finding out about what's really going on in the school, should they?

Oh well, I'm just a Lapsed Catholic, what do I know? *okay, I'll turn off the sarcasm meter now*

Little Billy
July 31st, 2006, 02:47 AM
They also couched her on how to react when her kids come home telling stories. I.E. to write off whatever her kids might tell her that is negative as a lie.

They also told her that, should they expel her children from their school, she would still be required to pay the monthly tuition costs.

She was also told that next year they would expect her to attend their church.

Tell your sister to run - do not walk - away from this school.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 02:49 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA.

The school is coaching her on how to react when her children come home with stories that paint the school in a negative light? And that coaching is to treat her children as liars?

You've got to be sh*tting me.

That's just wrong, I don't care what kind of school it is.

There are lots of parochial schools that don't do that. My mother has been teaching at a Catholic school for, oh gosh, let me think....I'm almost 31, and she started teaching there when I was 7, oh 24 years now. No corporal punishment, from the same time that the state banned the use of corporal punishment in public schools. No coaching parents to think that any negative reports about the school the kids come home with is a lie. None of that.

I just don't think it's a very Christian attitude to teach parents that if their kids are coming home telling them, "Mrs. So-n-so smacked Jimmy across the face today," that it's a flat-out lie. I mean, a Christian school shouldn't be afraid of parents finding out about what's really going on in the school, should they?

Oh well, I'm just a Lapsed Catholic, what do I know? *okay, I'll turn off the sarcasm meter now*

Thats the one that really bugged me. "If your kid comes home with negative things to say about us they are lying" WTF? no way would i ever send my kid to a school like that.

here's what i was able to find on the curriculum they use, and i don't like that either. i'm hopeing me and hubby can talk her out of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACE_%28Accelerated_Christian_Education%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_of_tomorrow

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 02:52 AM
Tell your sister to run - do not walk - away from this school.

that's what we are trying to tell her. i just hope she listens, she's supposed to come over tomorrow and look at what info i"ve been able to find.

Little Billy
July 31st, 2006, 03:07 AM
that's what we are trying to tell her. i just hope she listens, she's supposed to come over tomorrow and look at what info i"ve been able to find.

Okay. Let's review:

1. They use corporal punishment.

2. They try to tell parents that anything a kid complains about is a lie.

3. If you don't kowtow to them and they expel your kid, you STILL have to pay the tuition.

These facts (especially the 3rd) tell me that the school is going to be hell on Earth for the child. They can expect to get away with this, because most people wouldn't be able to pay the default tuition AND send their kid to another school.

Add to this the part about the parents being required to attend the church, and it starts to sound a bit like a cult.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 03:13 AM
Okay. Let's review:

3. If you don't kowtow to them and they expel your kid, you STILL have to pay the tuition.

These facts (especially the 3rd) tell me that the school is going to be hell on Earth for the child. They can expect to get away with this, because most people wouldn't be able to pay the default tuition AND send their kid to another school.

Add to this the part about the parents being required to attend the church, and it starts to sound a bit like a cult.

I agree with you about it. just wanted to make sure i'm not just paraniod. add that the school will only have 12 students this year(including hers), that's the total number of students grades pre-k through 11th grade.

Broken Babydoll
July 31st, 2006, 09:22 AM
We had my dsd in a baptist private school. The tuition was yearly and paid on a monthly basis, so the being expelled and still having to pay does not sound that far off. The rest of that, though, is total crap! Not all Baptist schools are like this. She should look into all her other options before going with this school.

Bluewillow
July 31st, 2006, 09:38 AM
Okay. Let's review:

I agree wholeheartedly. I my siblings and I attended a Baptist private school when we were kids, and that wasn't anything like what you've described (other than being very, very expensive. lol)

Sun Sprite
July 31st, 2006, 10:00 AM
I agree, run, don't walk.

Kids that age DON'T lie. They might exagarate.

Corporal punishment doesn't have to be worng, just make sure the parent know when and why, and the correct kid is being punished. (Don't punish the ten year old for being late because the four year old won't get out of bed in the morning).

Forced church attendance is not acceptable.

How long do they expect her to continue paying if the kids leave the school under any circumstances?

Is she sure the school is certified?

Run, don't walk away.

debnmike
July 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM
When my oldest son was 3, I called the local Catholic school to check enrollment for Pre-K. After finding out that my son's father and I weren't married yet, the tuition went *up*, and they made it perfectly clear they were going to let my son know he was the product of sin.

I hung up.

I got him into a Lutheran school. The tuition was pretty steep (I've forgotten how much it was, but I worked as a teachers aid and they took it out of my check) but they had no corporal punishment and didn't require church attendance.

The only reason I wanted private school was becuase the public schools in the area I lived at the time were (and still are) absolutely horrible.

I don't like the idea of anyone paddling/spanking/touching my kids (other than me :viking:). Nope. No Way, brotha.

The scary part of what you've said is the whole "you-should-think-your-kid-is-a-liar-unless-he-says-something-nice-about-the-school"
thing. That just doesn't sit well with me at all.

I've had plenty of private school dealings (went to them myself) and their
rules seem pretty steep. I'd check out some different schools.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM
I agree, run, don't walk.

Kids that age DON'T lie. They might exagarate.

Corporal punishment doesn't have to be worng, just make sure the parent know when and why, and the correct kid is being punished. (Don't punish the ten year old for being late because the four year old won't get out of bed in the morning).

Forced church attendance is not acceptable.

How long do they expect her to continue paying if the kids leave the school under any circumstances?

Is she sure the school is certified?

Run, don't walk away.

if they leave the school they expect her to pay the tuition for the rest of the year.

as far as them not lying.....Misty is really good at telling tales, Brooklynn does a bit but not as much as Misty does. But to automaticly dismiss anything they say as a lie is BS and would be a very stupid thing to do.

Other then the info about the curriculum i found on wikipedia i've found a few pages like this

http://www.privateschoolreview.com/school_ov/school_id/11243

and that's ALL i've been able to find. the school isn't worth the trip(she'd have to take them to school and pick them up a round trip of about 40 miles twice a day)

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
When my oldest son was 3, I called the local Catholic school to check enrollment for Pre-K. After finding out that my son's father and I weren't married yet, the tuition went *up*, and they made it perfectly clear they were going to let my son know he was the product of sin.

I hung up.

I got him into a Lutheran school. The tuition was pretty steep (I've forgotten how much it was, but I worked as a teachers aid and they took it out of my check) but they had no corporal punishment and didn't require church attendance.

The only reason I wanted private school was becuase the public schools in the area I lived at the time were (and still are) absolutely horrible.

I don't like the idea of anyone paddling/spanking/touching my kids (other than me :viking:). Nope. No Way, brotha.

The scary part of what you've said is the whole "you-should-think-your-kid-is-a-liar-unless-he-says-something-nice-about-the-school"
thing. That just doesn't sit well with me at all.

I've had plenty of private school dealings (went to them myself) and their
rules seem pretty steep. I'd check out some different schools.

just for the record here, i would NEVER send my kids to this school. unforunately where sis sends my neices to school is her decision, all i can do is try to talk her out of it.

debnmike
July 31st, 2006, 10:55 AM
just for the record here, i would NEVER send my kids to this school. unforunately where sis sends my neices to school is her decision, all i can do is try to talk her out of it.

Oh, I knew you weren't talking about your kids, I just kind of mis-directed my post.

I'd talk to her about it (for what it may be worth--it's her decision in the end). I wouldn't feel comfortable with the parameters this school has.

And anybody spanks my kids will find out that I'm only a passivist when it doesn't involve my children!! :viking:

Sage Rainsong
July 31st, 2006, 11:00 AM
Wow I went to Catholic schools all of my life and I never heard of such a thing. Corpral punishment has been considered outdated and archaic since I went in the 80's. Maybe Baptist schools are different. I agree with LB. She should run away from the school.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Oh, I knew you weren't talking about your kids, I just kind of mis-directed my post.

I'd talk to her about it (for what it may be worth--it's her decision in the end). I wouldn't feel comfortable with the parameters this school has.

And anybody spanks my kids will find out that I'm only a passivist when it doesn't involve my children!! :viking:

I'm the same way about my kids anyone lays a hand on either of them and they'd better _inabox_ as far away from me as they can get.

Both me and hubby are trying to talk them out of this, while on of our cousins is trying to talk her into it. suffice to say the cousin isn't very bright, she's someone i wouldn't trust with raiseing a dog(and she's got two kids that she sends to this school).

debnmike
July 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm the same way about my kids anyone lays a hand on either of them and they'd better _inabox_ as far away from me as they can get.

Both me and hubby are trying to talk them out of this, while on of our cousins is trying to talk her into it. suffice to say the cousin isn't very bright, she's someone i wouldn't trust with raiseing a dog(and she's got two kids that she sends to this school).

Ah-ha! Betcha this school has one of those "referral discount" thingy's. You know, if your not-too-bright-can't-raise-a-dog cousin gets your sister to enroll her kids then her kids get a tuition lowering.

Or, maybe she just wants an easier way to carpool.

Dunno.

Shanti
July 31st, 2006, 11:45 AM
I didn't know there were any states left that allowed corporal punishment in schools!!
I would call the state and find out for sure, heck, IMO, it would be nice if the school was breaking the law so they could be shut down!!

I would run for the hills before I would allow the school to pass judgement and hit my child!!

She doesn't mind the school smacking her kids? Do they even state what kind of smacking they do? What circumstances warrant it?
What guarantee is there that they wouldnt use excess? What guarantee that they wont hit for trivial matters?

Years ago in the 60's my sister got her fingers black and blue from a nun beating them with a ruler. My dad threatened to sue. The school never allowed hitting after than.

I am so glad Wisconsin doesn't allow the school to smack kids anymore.
I will never forget what my sisters hands looked like.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 11:50 AM
Ah-ha! Betcha this school has one of those "referral discount" thingy's. You know, if your not-too-bright-can't-raise-a-dog cousin gets your sister to enroll her kids then her kids get a tuition lowering.

Or, maybe she just wants an easier way to carpool.

Dunno.

could be both for all i know. The cousin and her hubby use sis as a free babysitter most of the time as they live about 50 yards apart on the same lot. they just tell their kids "go down the hill" and don't even keep track of them. drives me up the wall, i can't understand someone being that way with their kids. I HAVE to know where my kids are.

i'm may be a bit over protective, and it doesn't only apply to my kids it applies to my neices to(the being very protective part, it's up to their parents to keep track of them) LOL

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 11:55 AM
I didn't know there were any states left that allowed corporal punishment in schools!!
I would call the state and find out for sure, heck, IMO, it would be nice if the school was breaking the law so they could be shut down!!

I would run for the hills before I would allow the school to pass judgement and hit my child!!

She doesn't mind the school smacking her kids? Do they even state what kind of smacking they do? What circumstances warrant it?
What guarantee is there that they wouldnt use excess? What guarantee that they wont hit for trivial matters?

Years ago in the 60's my sister got her fingers black and blue from a nun beating them with a ruler. My dad threatened to sue. The school never allowed hitting after than.

I am so glad Wisconsin doesn't allow the school to smack kids anymore.
I will never forget what my sisters hands looked like.

she's a bit odd about other people spanking her kids, if my hubby did it she's nail him, if i did it she wouldn't do anything about it.

I'm not sure what they told her about it just that kids did get spanked when it was called for. if a teacher ever hit my kid they'd end up being very sorry they did. I don't allow ANYONE other then hubby or me to spank them(which is maybe a once a year thing, I have great kids)

Shanti
July 31st, 2006, 11:58 AM
What state is this school in? I would love to right its legislators and protest its out of date policies that allow spanking in schools.

I also would so not move there!!

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM
What state is this school in? I would love to right its legislators and protest its out of date policies that allow spanking in schools.

I also would so not move there!!

Kentucky, as far as i know it's illegal in public schools here not sure about private schools tho.

debnmike
July 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that because private schools don't take state funds, they are free to teach/discipline/whatever however they please.

There's a school in California that a friend of mine's daughter attends. They do not teach reading----AT ALL. This daughter of theirs is 10 and cannot read or write. It's absolutely astounding to me, as both her parents are extremely well educated (master's degrees, no less!). What's going to happen to this little girl later, I have no idea. Apparently they teach them cooking and crafts and stuff. It's waaaay bizarre.

GEBS
July 31st, 2006, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure what they told her about it just that kids did get spanked when it was called for. if a teacher ever hit my kid they'd end up being very sorry they did.

In the school my son went to the teachers were not allowed to hit the children. If a teacher felt it was necessary for the child to be punished she would send the child to the office. The principle would discuss the issue with the teacher and the child. The parents would be called and then the decision to spank or not spank was made. Very rarely did any child actually get spanked. I know they went several years without any child being hit. It's likely that this school has the same kind of policy. I know everyone gets very defensive over a corporal punishment policy in a school but in my experience the punishments are not used frequently. It has to be a major offense to warrant hitting the child. I was very uncomfortable with my ex-husband's insistence on sending our son to a school with this policy but after much discussion with the school's administrators I felt very comfortable and we never had any problem. It wasn't like the Catholic school I went to where the Nun's were hitting kids with rulers or dragging them around by their ears.

GEBS
July 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.childadvocate.org/1a_laws.htm

http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pages/frame.html

Based on the information in the two links above corporal punishment is allowed in schools in Kentucky.

ETA: grrr... just went to find some info on those links and realized they don't go to the pages I wanted them to. Sorry!!

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 12:46 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that because private schools don't take state funds, they are free to teach/discipline/whatever however they please.

There's a school in California that a friend of mine's daughter attends. They do not teach reading----AT ALL. This daughter of theirs is 10 and cannot read or write. It's absolutely astounding to me, as both her parents are extremely well educated (master's degrees, no less!). What's going to happen to this little girl later, I have no idea. Apparently they teach them cooking and crafts and stuff. It's waaaay bizarre.

Could be the laws are different for private schools.

That is odd. My oldest(10) reads on an 11th grade level. this is a girl that the kidnergarten teacher and the school said was unteachable, said she was too dumb to learn anything. she took second place in the school spelling bee(in first grade) a 5th grader took first place. (the school only goes up to 5 th).

I can't even imagine a school that doesn't teach reading, those kids are gonna have a heck of a hard life.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
http://www.childadvocate.org/1a_laws.htm

http://www.endcorporalpunishment.org/pages/frame.html

Based on the information in the two links above corporal punishment is allowed in schools in Kentucky.

thanks for the links.

debnmike
July 31st, 2006, 12:50 PM
Could be the laws are different for private schools.

That is odd. My oldest(10) reads on an 11th grade level. this is a girl that the kidnergarten teacher and the school said was unteachable, said she was too dumb to learn anything. she took second place in the school spelling bee(in first grade) a 5th grader took first place. (the school only goes up to 5 th).

I can't even imagine a school that doesn't teach reading, those kids are gonna have a heck of a hard life.

Someone said that about my child and I woulda gotten midieval on their ass BIG TIME.

I had an idiot teacher tell me my son was "below average" intelligence about 2 years ago. She can bite me.....my son is in honors classes this year and we had his IQ tested--he's near genius level.

Yay for your daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!

GEBS
July 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM
thanks for the links.

You're very welcome!!

I should say also that even though I chose to send my son to a school that had a corporal punishment policy we do not adopt the policy in our home.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 01:02 PM
Someone said that about my child and I woulda gotten midieval on their ass BIG TIME.

I had an idiot teacher tell me my son was "below average" intelligence about 2 years ago. She can bite me.....my son is in honors classes this year and we had his IQ tested--he's near genius level.

Yay for your daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!

my kids were living with my mother in law while we looked for suitable housing after we moved back down here from Mighigan, they told her to just take Jamie home and keep her there because she'd NEVER learn anything. My mother in law made a huge deal about it at the spelling bee, told them "and THATS the girl you said was too dumb to learn anything, How do y'all like that" LOL. Jamie proved them wrong, she's a very smart kid, sometimes things have to be repeated because she's partially deaf in one ear but that doesn't slow her down much. Ruby isn't very far behind her on reading. I'm very proud of my kids.

debnmike
July 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM
my kids were living with my mother in law while we looked for suitable housing after we moved back down here from Mighigan, they told her to just take Jamie home and keep her there because she'd NEVER learn anything. My mother in law made a huge deal about it at the spelling bee, told them "and THATS the girl you said was too dumb to learn anything, How do y'all like that" LOL. Jamie proved them wrong, she's a very smart kid, sometimes things have to be repeated because she's partially deaf in one ear but that doesn't slow her down much. Ruby isn't very far behind her on reading. I'm very proud of my kids.

You have one great mother in law! And you should be proud of your kids....they sound like great people.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM
You're very welcome!!

I should say also that even though I chose to send my son to a school that had a corporal punishment policy we do not adopt the policy in our home.

My kids don't get spanked offen but it does happen, all i can say is my kids teacher had better NEVER lay a hand on them. me and hubby both would be up there raiseing hell.

Shanti
July 31st, 2006, 01:08 PM
OMG I cant believe it. Kentucky along with a lot of states allow it!!
For info here are Kentucky schools that allow spanking, and some sound pretty nasty!!
I do not, would not ever use a weapon, and to me a wooden paddle is a weapon, on my child!!!

KENTUCKY: private schools
Frankfort Christian Academy (http://www.frankfortchristian.org/page.aspx?id=91547)
Corporal punishment is only for major or continuing offenses, and parents must sign a form agreeing to this and be present to witness it.
Oneida Baptist Institute (http://web.archive.org/web/20040609102945/http://oneidaschool.org/faq.html), Oneida
This long-established rural mountain boarding school seems a little different from most. The student body includes a significant contingent from overseas, and do not have to be Christians. In designated areas and with parental permission, they may even smoke. "Limited corporal punishment" may be administered by the principal, the Dean of Girls or the Dean of Boys. Another page, Student Questions Part II (http://web.archive.org/web/20040103132536/http://www.oneidaschool.org/sqa2.html), is aimed specifically at prospective students and states in a matter-of-fact way that punishments include "swats".
These Kentucky private schools also state that they use corporal punishment, but give few or no details:
Assembly Christian School (http://web.archive.org/web/20031219174939/http://www.geocities.com/assemblychristianschool/adm-policy.html), Lexington
FBC Christian School (http://web.archive.org/web/20040215011733/http://www.kellyswebdesign.com/fbccs/student_conduct.htm), Louisa
Micah Christian School, (http://www.maryvillebaptist.com/micah.htm) Louisville

KENTUCKY: public schools
Adair County Schools (http://policy.ksba.org/A01/9B433.doc)
CP, to be used only after other means have been found ineffective, shall consist of striking the student's buttocks with a paddle. Parents shall be notified after the event, but there seems to be no mention of securing their consent beforehand. However, a student shall be excused from CP upon the written request of the parents. Typical rules about privacy and witnesses. See also, in relation to Shepherd Elementary School, Adair County, this March 2001 news item (http://www.corpun.com/uss00103.htm#7557).
Edmonson County School District (http://www.edmonson.k12.ky.us/code.html), Brownsville
Corporal punishment may be used for second- and third-level offenses but not for first- or fourth-level ones. It is to be a last resort and "shall be administered by striking the student's buttocks with a paddle". There must be two witnesses, at least one of whom must be of the same sex as the student. Parents may exempt their offspring by giving notice in writing.
Harlan County Schools (http://policy.ksba.org/H03/9B433.doc) (includes Baxter, Bledsoe, Brownsville, Cawood, Cumberland, Evarts, Grays Knob, Kenvir, Wallins)
Black Mountain Elementary School (http://web.archive.org/web/20040615091157/http://www.harlan.k12.ky.us/BME/Student+Handbook/studenthandbook.rtf), KenvirSimilar rules to Edmonson County, except that only one witness is required, and it is the person administering the paddling who should be of the same sex as the student, "except when a staff member of the appropriate gender is not assigned to the school". See also this Feb 2004 news item (http://www.corpun.com/uss00402.htm#12660). CP is not listed as one of the normal penalties at Black Mountain, but it may be given "upon parent request". Special forms for this purpose are kept in the school office.
Hart County Schools (http://policy.ksba.org/H07/9AR433.htm)
Identical rules to Adair County Schools, above. Also on line is the Corporal Punishment Report Form (http://policy.ksba.org/H07/09_2$433.doc). See also, in relation to LeGrande Elementary School, Hart County,
Hickman County Schools (http://www.hickman.k12.tn.us/policy/6.314.pdf), Clinton
In grades K-4, parents may request corporal punishment (max. 3 licks a day) by filling out a permission form. In grades 5-8 it is a parental option instead of after-school or Saturday detention. Students will receive two licks for 6 demerits and three licks for 9 demerits in a six-week period. No CP will be administered in grades 9 to 12. Typical rules about record-keeping and witnesses.
Johnson County Schools (http://policy.ksba.org/J06/9J433.doc)
CP consists of "striking the student's buttocks with a paddle". There must be two witnesses. It should not be used unless other disciplinary means have been tried and failed. A student may be excused paddling upon a written parental request. Also on the site are the Corporal Punishment Report Form (http://policy.ksba.org/J06/09_2C433.doc) and the Disciplinary Referral Forms (http://policy.ksba.org/J06/09_21D43.doc) (to parents) with a tickbox marked "Paddled".
Lincoln County Schools
Stanford Elementary School (http://www.lincoln.k12.ky.us/stanford/combined%20policies%202003%20copy.doc)
Lincoln County High School (http://www.lincoln.k12.ky.us/lchs/Handbook.htm), StanfordThe elementary school allows parents to choose between corporal punishment and suspension. At the high school, CP with "a wooden paddle to administer one to three blows to a student’s posterior" is to be used in the principal's office in a "very discretionary manner" and not in a fit of anger. Parental permission must be on file.
McCreary County Schools (http://www.mccreary.k12.ky.us/policies/) (covers Pine Knot, Stearns)
These rules seem at one point to imply that corporal punishment may be applied only to elementary students. It is available (maximum 3 swats in any one day) for nearly all the offenses listed, and must be inflicted on the student's buttocks. See also this Feb 2004 news item (http://www.corpun.com/uss00402.htm#12660).
McKee Elementary School (http://web.archive.org/web/20040203030437/http://www.jackson.k12.ky.us/mckee/Student+Handbook/student+regulations.htm), Jackson County
Same rules as at Johnson County but, in addition, the paddling must be given by the principal or assistant principal, who must be of the same sex as the student being punished. Also, a student who is paddled twice or more during the year must embark upon a "behavior improvement plan".
Pike County Schools (http://policy.ksba.org/PrintDocument.asp?DocumentPath=/P06/9B433.doc), Pikeville
Corporal punishment shall consist of striking the student's buttocks with a paddle. It should be a last resort. Parents may request exemption.
Pulaski County School System (http://policy.ksba.org/P11/9D433.doc) (covers Somerset)
Corporal punishment shall consist of striking the student's buttocks with a paddle. It should be a last resort. There are various bureaucratic requirements about the documentation of the punishment.
These Kentucky public schools are also known to use corporal punishment, but do not appear to say so online, or are not online at all:
Allen County Schools, Scottsville
Warren County Schools, Bowling GreenLINK (http://www.corpun.com/usscr2a.htm)
Wisconsin banned public schools not private but the three that use it either ask the parent to administer it or want parent consent . So at least no surprises. Thanks the spirits it doesn't happen in our public schools!!

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 01:08 PM
You have one great mother in law! And you should be proud of your kids....they sound like great people.

they are. Their great great grandmother brags on them all the time for being well behaved LOL

my mother in law is cool like that sometimes now, as far as her sticking up for Jamie, it really suprised me, she offered to pay for an abortion when i got pregnant and then refused for about three yrs to even believe Jamie was her grandchild. Swore there was no way Jamie was my husband's daughter.

debnmike
July 31st, 2006, 01:13 PM
they are. Their great great grandmother brags on them all the time for being well behaved LOL

my mother in law is cool like that sometimes now, as far as her sticking up for Jamie, it really suprised me, she offered to pay for an abortion when i got pregnant and then refused for about three yrs to even believe Jamie was her grandchild. Swore there was no way Jamie was my husband's daughter.

Wow....I guess she's changed her mind, huh?

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 01:14 PM
OMG I cant believe it. Kentucky along with a lot of states allow it!!
For info here are Kentucky schools that allow spanking, and some sound pretty nasty!!
I do not, would not ever use a weapon, and to me a wooden paddle is a weapon, on my child!!!
LINK (http://www.corpun.com/usscr2a.htm)
Wisconsin banned public schools not private but the three that use it either ask the parent to administer it or want parent consent . So at least no surprises. Thanks the spirits it doesn't happen in our public schools!!

my kids school isn't on that list. as far as i know they don't use it. not since way before my hubby graduated anyway.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM
Wow....I guess she's changed her mind, huh?

i guess she did. funny how that happens. I think her thing was she did NOT want to be a grandmother, didn't want to feel old. she was in her early 40's at the time.

Tarbh Nathroch
July 31st, 2006, 02:02 PM
I did K-8 in a Catholic school in the 70s-80s so I am very familure with strick Chirstan schools and their workings and that discription sounds off even for me.

LadyMoreta
July 31st, 2006, 09:00 PM
decision made, they don't see anything wrong with the school, and are going to send their kids there. :(

Little Billy
July 31st, 2006, 10:03 PM
I agree with you about it. just wanted to make sure i'm not just paraniod. add that the school will only have 12 students this year(including hers), that's the total number of students grades pre-k through 11th grade.

When it comes to SOME sects of Baptists, it is impossible to be paranoid, by definition.

Bronach Druid
July 31st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Sounds scary to me.
I attended a private catholic grade school many, many years ago. They did have some strange punishments and they did expect students and their family to attend mass. However, they never spanked kids nor did they try and coach my parents on reaction to what I or my siblings might tell them. To me that is a major red flag. Do they allow or encourage parental involvement at the school? I would definitely be stopping by unannounced on a regular basis if my kids were going there.

LadyMoreta
August 1st, 2006, 12:10 AM
When it comes to SOME sects of Baptists, it is impossible to be paranoid, by definition.

when it comes to some sects of any religion it is impossible to be paranoid, that's my view on it anyway.

Suzette
August 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't dream of placing my children in a school which taught them a different faith and mindset of what I practice at home. In other words, you go learn this way of thinking but mommy and daddy are going to remain with their way of thinking...

Damn if fiance and I aren't living with this CRAP right now. :grrrrr:

Our son (my step) and his brother are in Catholic school, their mother (biatch #1) placed them there. Now mind you, she adopted a child and had one out of wedlock (with my fiance) and is very confused with her faith and confused in general.

She will now not allow the boys to spend the night at our home until WE'RE MARRIED because that's what they're learning in school!!!!! Talk about messing with these kids minds even more, ya know? Confused biatch.

And what does she say when they start asking her questions?? URRRGGHHHHH.

Although, I am all for private school as the system here in Los Angeles is such that if you don't speak Spanish, you won't learn anything. Not that the Spanish speaking kids are learning anything either. Meh.

LadyMoreta
August 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't dream of placing my children in a school which taught them a different faith and mindset of what I practice at home. In other words, you go learn this way of thinking but mommy and daddy are going to remain with their way of thinking..

i have that problem with the public school here, kids come home talking about God, oh well this is the Biblebelt after all. they get it from the other kids, not much i can do about it.

GEBS
August 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM
I wouldn't dream of placing my children in a school which taught them a different faith and mindset of what I practice at home. In other words, you go learn this way of thinking but mommy and daddy are going to remain with their way of thinking...

In my case, my ex-husband is Christian and I am not. My son has learned both ways of thinking and chose for himself which is right for him. He has always been taught "mommy believes this, daddy believes this, other people believe this... what do you think?" I have always encouraged him to make up his own mind in regards to his spirituality. He comes up with some really interesting answer to questions, things I never even considered. We talk a lot about our paths and how they differ and how they are alike. I have always exposed him to as many views as possible so he could make educated choices for himself.

I realize that many parents would disagree with my way of doing things but it works for us. My son is a very well informed child and is very good at making choices that effect him and his path. He uses the information he learned at the Christian school to relate to his friends and his father but he does not adopt the thoughts in his own path. And he doesn't adopt all of the things I believe either. In fact, he adops very little of my thoughts. He prefers to develop his own.

I am very happy with the choice to expose my son to beliefs I do not hold as my own. It has helped him learn to think for himself.

Suzette
August 1st, 2006, 05:36 PM
In my case, my ex-husband is Christian and I am not. My son has learned both ways of thinking and chose for himself which is right for him. He has always been taught "mommy believes this, daddy believes this, other people believe this... what do you think?" I have always encouraged him to make up his own mind in regards to his spirituality.

Yes, and you are a smart, healthy, rational and well-grounded woman sans issues. I suppose I should have specified that in my thread... Apologies.

I say this as the woman (can't even call her ex-wife or ex-girlfriend really, they were only together a very short time) is so completely and utterly F'd up dealing with the dogma of her faith. Here she was having sex out of wedlock, had a child, etc., etc., and she's barking about our life.

So she's living pretty much a life of seclusion, which is her choice, both that and to have kids out of wedlock - but she expected my fiance to not move on with his life? And she's freaked out about the thought of the boys spending the night over when they're taught what we're doing is wrong. I moved in June, wedding is October. Whatever.

Anyway, in a healthy household I would have to agree, it is possible and would give a child a good foundation to later decide. The boys don't know I'm pagan, and won't until they're old enough to understand.

Jenne
August 1st, 2006, 05:41 PM

Damn if fiance and I aren't living with this CRAP right now. :grrrrr:

Our son (my step) and his brother are in Catholic school, their mother (biatch #1) placed them there. Now mind you, she adopted a child and had one out of wedlock (with my fiance) and is very confused with her faith and confused in general.

She will now not allow the boys to spend the night at our home until WE'RE MARRIED because that's what they're learning in school!!!!! Talk about messing with these kids minds even more, ya know? Confused biatch.

And what does she say when they start asking her questions?? URRRGGHHHHH.

Although, I am all for private school as the system here in Los Angeles is such that if you don't speak Spanish, you won't learn anything. Not that the Spanish speaking kids are learning anything either. Meh.

Ugh. What a pisser of a situation, Hon. :hugz:

Suzette
August 1st, 2006, 06:19 PM
Ugh. What a pisser of a situation, Hon. :hugz:

Thanks hon, you have NO idea. What's ironic is our household is so well-adjusted, happy and healthy... Her's may be Catholic, but there's nothing healthy or happy going on there.

GEBS
August 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM
... Her's may be Catholic, but there's nothing healthy or happy going on there.

It sounds like there's a lot more there than what you're even able to share with us. My goodness, those kids must be confused!

It doesn't sound like she's complaining about you because of her faith. My guess is that she's bitter about his happiness and is using her religious beliefs to control him. I'd be interested to know what the courts say about that.

Luckily you don't have much longer before the wedding. Then there's really nothing she can do to keep them away from you.

:hugz: to all of you.

Jenne
August 1st, 2006, 06:36 PM
It sounds like there's a lot more there than what you're even able to share with us. My goodness, those kids must be confused!

It doesn't sound like she's complaining about you because of her faith. My guess is that she's bitter about his happiness and is using her religious beliefs to control him. I'd be interested to know what the courts say about that.

Luckily you don't have much longer before the wedding. Then there's really nothing she can do to keep them away from you.

2ded! :wave:

Suzette
August 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM

Bingo. She totally freaked out as my fiance wasn't involved with anyone for the six years Grady's been here. Now that I'm in the picture, her "vision" of what she's tried to teach the boys as being a "normal family who just don't live together BS" is disrupted. No more will he spend holidays at her place or out to dinner for birthdays. She hates me, but not really me - the idea of me. We are so genuinely happy, and not annoyingly in-your-face so, but enough to send her over the edge. And yes, she's totally using the boys in the process. He has 50% custody, but she's the primary caregiver and mother, so guess what? We're screwed.

Sorry folks, didn't mean for this to go off topic. Thanks for the hugs GEBS, I've read your posts and you've always seemed like a cool lady.

Suzette
August 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
2ded! :wave:

Yes, my queen. We need to wine-ho, and SOON. Hehe.

Maybe we should get GEBS on board, if she's into the good food and vintage! :)

Jenne
August 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yes, my queen. We need to wine-ho, and SOON. Hehe.

Maybe we should get GEBS on board, if she's into the good food and vintage! :)

Wine-ho's unite! :D

LadyMoreta
August 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM
Sorry folks, didn't mean for this to go off topic. Thanks for the hugs GEBS, I've read your posts and you've always seemed like a cool lady.

I hope that things get better for you, your fiance, and the kids.

I'm not worried about the thread going off topic, any coversation tends to do that, and you've as much right to say what you want as anyone else.

GEBS
August 1st, 2006, 10:47 PM
good food and vintage! :)

mmmm... you're making me drool :drinking: :uhhuhuh:

I have to admit I've been on a drought lately though :(

Jenne
August 1st, 2006, 10:50 PM
mmmm... you're making me drool :drinking: :uhhuhuh:

I have to admit I've been on a drought lately though :(

:hugz: Dat's a bummer now! Here, have a cyber beer with me! :cheers: (it's certainly warm enough, eh? ;) )

I hope you ladies have an easier time of it! :hugz: all around!!!

GEBS
August 1st, 2006, 10:56 PM
:achug:

Woohoo!! yay for cyber beer!

ya know, I think I do have some vodka in the kitchen. Maybe I should go hunt for it. I could use a drink today.

Jenne
August 1st, 2006, 11:04 PM
:achug:

Woohoo!! yay for cyber beer!

ya know, I think I do have some vodka in the kitchen. Maybe I should go hunt for it. I could use a drink today.

He he. I just put a bottle of riesling in the freezer! Cheers, GEBS! :wave:

Suzette
August 2nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Well DAD GUM if you guys didn't go a ho'in without moi!

Andrew and I met our officiant last night then headed out for margarita's... Dang, missed you girls!

I'm thinking we should grab GEBS and the other girls and reconvene Friday evening :drinking:

Suzette
August 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
I hope that things get better for you, your fiance, and the kids.

I'm not worried about the thread going off topic, any coversation tends to do that, and you've as much right to say what you want as anyone else.

Thanks, appreciated. You know, the only thing we can do is continue being as happy as we are, and that will be the foundation these boys will rest on - when they're with us that is. As they grow, they'll make up their own minds about what a nutter their mother is.

Shame really.

LadyMoreta
August 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks, appreciated. You know, the only thing we can do is continue being as happy as we are, and that will be the foundation these boys will rest on - when they're with us that is. As they grow, they'll make up their own minds about what a nutter their mother is.

Shame really.

I know, i still hope things change for the better, for all of you.

Tanya
August 2nd, 2006, 10:45 PM
I went to a Catholic school most of my school life. Yes there was corpral punishment (as there was in public schools) yes they encouraged my family to go to chuch (we got a cut in our tuition if we were parishoners) and I had to attend and pass religion class, even though I wasn't Christian... those things were hard, but I was pragmatic, they had AP bio....and French. .. so I just bore thru the BS...

but I wouldn't let ANYONE tell me my kid was lieng to me... nor would i pay for a sevice I didn't recieve.

CajunLady
August 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM
my sister-in-law(this is the good sister in law not the evil one) is considering placing her kids in a private school. It's $200 per month ($100 per child), supplies are provided by the school, and the children are allowed to work at their own pace, doing the level of schoolwork that they are suited to.

Then she tells me that she was told that they use corporal punishment. In other words, they spank kids.

She was also told that next year they would expect her to attend their church. I'm not sure if that's actually a Red Flag or not. As I said, it's a Christian school. Baptist, in fact. But I have never heard of any other such school making such a requirement.

Lots of things in this post would have me wondering...like them having to payt even though the child has been expelled....telling the parents to ignore their children, (that way they can do what they want to the kid and the parents won't believe it) Spanking, I'm not against, but they better have my permission before doing it!! I think there is probably a much better private school out there!!!

LadyMoreta
August 3rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Lots of things in this post would have me wondering...like them having to payt even though the child has been expelled....telling the parents to ignore their children, (that way they can do what they want to the kid and the parents won't believe it) Spanking, I'm not against, but they better have my permission before doing it!! I think there is probably a much better private school out there!!!

there are better private shools around here they are just more expensive and a much longer drive for sis to take the kids to school, and go pick them up. This time she's pretty much taking the easy route.

not a thing i can do but hope for the best.

Lahmi
August 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM
no time to read the rest of the thread...
but from my perspective, I am not thrilled with that curriculum.
and am less thrilled that they want her to discount anything negative
the kids say..

I would recommend she check into something else, or look at homeschooling.

Mark

Semele
August 5th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I had an interesting discussion about this with a coworker of mine last night. He was telling me how his estranged wife unenrolled their son from one particular catholic school and enrolled him in another. Both of these school are very expensive and apparently I missed the point because one is more so expensive and has a better reputation academically etc. I was then told how I should start saving my pennies now to send Trey there. I just stared blankly at him and then reminded him that I was not Catholic.

He tried to argue that it was beside the point and that the catholicism could be looked at as just another history class. I asked him if he remembered it like that or if all the other classes were spun into god's classroom and he just rambled on about how good the school was and I excused myself to get back to work.

Frankly I don't think I could pay for a better school for trey currently and that is all I can really focus on just now. He goes to a public school with a program specific to Asperger's syndrome integrated into the mainstream. It is on federally protected land, two blocks from our house, so they have an animal theme. There are large bird cages and reptile cages in the halls and the children all get to take care of them. The children know every one of the staff members personally from the principal to the janitor and so do the parents.

This is a public school and it works like this because the people who run it care because it is their grandchildren and children. If the public schools are failing we have to change them. It can obviously be done. If a school within a community is failing..the community has failed that school and those teachers and students.

LadyMoreta
August 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I had an interesting discussion about this with a coworker of mine last night. He was telling me how his estranged wife unenrolled their son from one particular catholic school and enrolled him in another. Both of these school are very expensive and apparently I missed the point because one is more so expensive and has a better reputation academically etc. I was then told how I should start saving my pennies now to send Trey there. I just stared blankly at him and then reminded him that I was not Catholic.

He tried to argue that it was beside the point and that the catholicism could be looked at as just another history class. I asked him if he remembered it like that or if all the other classes were spun into god's classroom and he just rambled on about how good the school was and I excused myself to get back to work.

Frankly I don't think I could pay for a better school for trey currently and that is all I can really focus on just now. He goes to a public school with a program specific to Asperger's syndrome integrated into the mainstream. It is on federally protected land, two blocks from our house, so they have an animal theme. There are large bird cages and reptile cages in the halls and the children all get to take care of them. The children know every one of the staff members personally from the principal to the janitor and so do the parents.

This is a public school and it works like this because the people who run it care because it is their grandchildren and children. If the public schools are failing we have to change them. It can obviously be done. If a school within a community is failing..the community has failed that school and those teachers and students.

Sounds like Trey goes to a great school.

The whole school system here is just a bit wacked. There aren't really that many people in the whole county. and too many schools. There's three elementary schools, one here in Livermore, one in Sacramento, and one in Calhoun. their main problem is funding issues, and some of the teachers strike me as odd, but this is Kentucky and i grew up in Michigan so a lot of the attitudes around here strike me as odd. LOL

Mab
August 5th, 2006, 11:13 AM

um......yeah, that just sounds weird. I went to private Christian schools my whole life, and I wasn't surprised to hear that this one practiced corporal punishment, and I wouldn't have been surprised if they had told her they have chapel once a week that all the kids are expected to go to, but that whole mess about teaching her that whatever her kids say about bad things going on at school is a lie & having to go to their church sounds way too weird. I'd go find another school, if I were her.

Suzette
August 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Gods you are so right, yet I wish it were so easy. Come to Los Angeles and see our public schools and I guarantee your head will spin like the Exorcist.

F'd up doesn't hit the tip of the iceberg. Even though my new stepson and his brother are in Catholic school, I'd rather have them in some kind of private rather than the hand our public system has dealt us.

LadyKaty
August 5th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Sounds like Trey goes to a great school.

The whole school system here is just a bit wacked. There aren't really that many people in the whole county. and too many schools. There's three elementary schools, one here in Livermore, one in Sacramento, and one in Calhoun. their main problem is funding issues, and some of the teachers strike me as odd, but this is Kentucky and i grew up in Michigan so a lot of the attitudes around here strike me as odd. LOL

Oh, now, see, I actually know where you are. I grew up in Hopkins County.

McLean County is just so rural....there's not that much there at all. Too bad she's not willing to drive into Daviess County, there's some awesome private parochial schools in Owensboro.

Your sister would rather take the "easy" way out, and do what she wants, rather than what's best for the kids. Lazy parenting at its finest.

LadyMoreta
August 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Oh, now, see, I actually know where you are. I grew up in Hopkins County.

McLean County is just so rural....there's not that much there at all. Too bad she's not willing to drive into Daviess County, there's some awesome private parochial schools in Owensboro.

Your sister would rather take the "easy" way out, and do what she wants, rather than what's best for the kids. Lazy parenting at its finest.

McClean County is that LOL.

The thing that gets me is that Owensboro isn't that much farther to drive. and as you said the schools there are much better. I'd see about my kids going over there if we could afford it and had a car. There's just nothing in McClean County.

Yes she's taking the easy way out and i'm pretty sure she's gonna end up regreting it. Both sis and her hubby have decided to listen to her cousin who quite honestly couldn't care less about her kids. :(