PDA

View Full Version : Planting Your Own Grove

Litha
April 3rd, 2001, 02:32 PM
Do you have a reverence for trees, particularly oaks? You can grow these mighty trees yourself, from seed.

Start by gathering acorns. Let your favorite kids help or find acorns at the foot of an oak that has a special meaning for you. Make sure the tree is healthy. Use a fishing pole or other long pole to shake them from the tree. Your best chances of successful acorns are those picked directly from the oak.

Gently twist the acorn's "hat." If it comes off easily, you've got a candidate for your project. Toss out any cracked, rotten, or hole-y acorns as well as those that seem very light by comparison. As a final test, place the acorns in a bucket of water and get rid of the floaters.

Don't keep acorns too long before you plant them! Once they dry out, they probably won't germinate.

Using plastic bags, mix a handful of acorns with a handful of perlite. (Vermiculite can be added to the mix, if you like.) Seal the bag, date it, and place it in your refrigerator. It may take as much as 3 cycles of the moon for the acorns to germinate or as little as one cycle, depending on the type of oak. At the full moon and the new moon, check your acorns to see if they are starting to sprout. When several have sprouted, it's time to plant all the acorns in the bag.

To plant the acorns, use large plastic pots (this is one time I actually like plastic anything!). I tend to use the large black ones left over from the previous spring's azalea purchase. Use one-gallon size at a minimum. The little oaks will develop looooooong tap roots, so they'll need plenty of depth. Make sure the pots drain well, too, with holes in the bottom.

Fill the pots with potting soil almost to the top. Leave about one inch. Place a single acorn on its side and cover it with half an inch of potting soil. Then water, taking care not to wash the soil away from the acorn.

Place your pots in a protected area so the cold won't freeze them or dry them out. Water them whenever the soil dries on top.

Now sit back and wait! Hopefully in the spring, you'll see the first signs of growth. When the little oaks are growing nicely, you can move the pots to an Eastern sunny spot and fertilize them every Sabbat. At Mabon or Samhain when the little oaks are one to two years old, plant them in a permanent spot.

The thing I really like about having these small oaks in pots is that I can arrange the pots in a circle for special workings. In the side yard, on the back deck, or even in a pasture, I can let them grown (almost) naturally and feel the power of this magickal tree. As they grow, I can move them out, away from the center of the circle, to make room for their future growth. Once a lot of rituals have taken place in this circle of young trees, the place becomes sacred, and it's a good spot to plant the trees in a special ceremony.

Amethyst Rose
April 3rd, 2001, 08:03 PM
This is an absolutely wonderful idea! Thank you for posting it. :D

(now to find out if there are any oak trees where I live....)

Litha
April 4th, 2001, 01:20 AM
yes, glad you liked t...I love trees, talk to my oak in the front yard almost daily.
when I first moved to my home, it was summertime.
I have a convertible and the top was down.
I'd pulled into the driveway and was still sitting in my car, when the front yard oak tree wished me hello with a pelt on the noggin of an acorn!

I thought the sky was falling, heheheeehee :)

Earth Walker
April 4th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Zodiac Corresponding Elementals Gardening
Signs Plant Parts Qualities

Aries barren
Leo Fruit Triad of Fire barren
Sagittarius barren
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gemini barren
Libra Flower Triad of Air semi-fruitful
Aquarius barren
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cancer fruitful
Scorpio Stem, leaf Triad of water fruitful
Pisces fruitful
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taurus semi-fruitful
Virgo Root Triad of earth barren
Capricorn semi-fruitful

Emerald Sky
April 28th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Thank-you for this wonderful idea, Litha. I love trees! I live on 13 beautiful acres of rolling hills. Two or so acres of which are wooded. Just beyond the edge of the woods is a whole grove of fledgling maples which have grown on their own! There are literally hundreds of them. Unfortunately they're very close together so many of them will probably get "drowned" out. I have mostly maples in my woods and possibly a few beech trees. I'm not quite sure what type some of them are... I'll have to do some research. Just beyond the edge of the maple trees is a small valley with four very old trees, and a hill of huge rocks. As soon as I saw this place I felt its energy pulling me. I'm looking forward to making this area the "heart" of my outdoor sacred space. Hasn't the Goddess given a beautiful earth to enjoy and worship?!

Litha
April 28th, 2001, 09:04 PM
your home sounds like a idyllic place, wonderful for walking meditations and space to commune with Her.
We're looking to move to a less suburban area to a more woodsy one.
My beau is from horse country and not accustomed to the hustle and bustle of metro NY/NJ area.
Less traffic would be a nice change; I hope we find something as pleasing as yours!

Earth Walker
April 28th, 2001, 09:19 PM
It is my dream to have a small acreage, to have my
horses, and to have other animals, grow hay, grow
our own veggies. <sigh>:(

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.:crazy:
---Isaac Asimov - Foundation

ruthie
April 29th, 2001, 08:40 AM
What a beautiful idea. Sadly, although I could start off the trees at home, I would never have enough room in our garden to plant one. However, I am pretty sure if I keep my eyes open, there would be somewhere wonderful to plant them outside of my home.