PDA

View Full Version : aunt's dog peed on my handcrafted jewelry

sybba_leigh
August 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM
i am so upset. how would you guys feel if all your hard work got ruined and no one cared?

i have been making jewelry to sell for MONTHS. i have a lot of pieces, and i kept them stored in two bags. my mother put them on the floor for some reason, and while no one was around... my aunts disgusting dog peed all over the 2 paper bags. one bag was completely soaked through, my jewelry was dripping when i took it out and dumped it on my table. the other bag... i went away crying... and my mom dumped out the other bag and put it with the definite pile of urine/jewelry. it started a huge fight with my aunt and me because i was upset and yelling and she couldn't even apologize or admit that her dog did it. her dog pees on EVERYTHING. she's been crying all night, and my mother is mad at me for "not showing respect." she has been living with my family for like 5 months now... because her husband died... everyone in my house wants her and her dogs out... everyone is so fed up with her but doesn't say anything.

i am so tired of this whole situation, and now my work is tainted. if i wash it with water, it will tarnish probably. i used beads and fake gold and jewelry you get at arts and crafts stores.

anyway, so yeah, my jewelry got urinated on and now i feel that it is ruined. i was going to sell my pieces at a pagan fair thing in a couple of weeks, but now i feel bad that i'm going to have to either sell nothing or ask people to pay me for making them wear disgusting urine jewelry.

my mother said she wiped everything off, but "nothing got wet". that's a flat out lie. i saw and felt it dripping. she says it doesn't smell, but i don't believe her and its not like i can smell for myself... i have had no sense of smell since i was born.

everyone is mad at me for yelling at my aunt. i told her her dog peed on my jewelry and she got all defensive... and later on, when i was still upset... she started bitching at me that it wasn't her dog's fault. THAT'S when i started yelling cuz my feelings were so hurt.

advice? anyone? :'(

Morgandria
August 10th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry your work got ruined. I'd be just as upset in a similar situation (in fact, I was - one night I had $800 of my stock stolen the week before a show).

However:

1) I always keep my work in separate poly bags, and then inside a box (plastic preferably, but one of those photo storage boxes works well too.)That way they don't get tangled, and they don't get wet.

2) I don't ever leave my work out in the open if I am not currently working on it. If I'm someplace where there's more than my husband and I around, I always put it somewhere totally out of the way, in a cupboard or hidden in my luggage. If I have guests over, again, it goes in my crafting cupboard, out of sight and harm's way.

I agree that your aunt's dogs are poorly housebroken, and she owes you an apology for ruining your posessions. However, you are ultimately responsible for your own things - if they were that important to you, you really owed it to yourself to put them in an safe place, in something sturdier than paper bags.

sari0009
August 11th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Sorry about the family problems...

I keep my cheaper stuff in plastic lock tite brand containers. Beads are often organized in little tubes or tins within those containers. I've never had one of them open up accidentally if it was closed right.

These are put away in my craft area the moment I'm done or if I have to leave for a while.

Djiril
August 11th, 2006, 03:09 AM
I'm sorry that happened. I would be upset too! I think you should find a neutral third party to judge whether it is still saleable (sp?). It might be that your mom is telling the truth, even if she does have an ulterior motive

sybba_leigh
August 11th, 2006, 09:40 PM
thanks for listening, guys. my dad thinks my jewelry is okay to sell... and i'm going to start keeping my things upstairs, away from everybody and everything. i guess i should just take this as a learning experience!

Xander67
August 12th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I think you can probably use a cleaner for it... im not sure...
maybe look on the box(bag) where your supplies are.. or check with the arts and crafts store for cleaning tips...

hope all goes well!

sybba_leigh
August 12th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I think you can probably use a cleaner for it... im not sure...
maybe look on the box(bag) where your supplies are.. or check with the arts and crafts store for cleaning tips...

hope all goes well!

hey. thanks for the advice, papi. :)

MysticWitch
August 12th, 2006, 12:54 AM
It was your aunts dog, your aunt should say sorry and your mom should say sorry for putting it on the floor and you should find a better place to keep your things. If you are so attatched to the hard work you do, put it some place where no one will touch it :wave:

sybba_leigh
August 12th, 2006, 12:55 AM
my aunt won't talk to me anymore... she's been avoiding me all day...

MysticWitch
August 12th, 2006, 01:03 AM
my aunt won't talk to me anymore... she's been avoiding me all day...

It sucks having family be mad at you, it feels horrible, but she will get over it. Give her time. :hugz:

sybba_leigh
August 12th, 2006, 01:21 AM
It sucks having family be mad at you, it feels horrible, but she will get over it. Give her time. :hugz:

:hugz:

Sev
August 23rd, 2006, 10:47 PM
Well, what was the jewelry made out of? So long as it's basically nonporous -- plastic, stones, metal -- stuff that can get wet without any real problem -- you could just soak 'em in mildly soapy water for a while, and they'd be fine.