PDA

View Full Version : Writters block

Fyre_Nymph
August 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM
ok, so I'm having a hard time with writers block. School's about to start and I want to get the first chapter wich is only about 6 pages long, finished.

can anyone help me get my creativity back? Please?

Findarto
August 23rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Try sitting down, and writing through it.
It's hard for me as well, I have such a problem with it.

Coming out with great starts, and then crawling is my problem.

Good luck though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fyre_Nymph
August 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
thank you

Findarto
August 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
No problem,
fellow Slytherin :p.

Tanya
August 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
I keep a list of words that i find 'evocative' When I'm stuck I go to them and free write from one of them.. just what ever comes into my head associated with the word, and just go and go and don't look to form or point or plot... just spew.... and then I craft into something... and usually the 1st 3rd is crap and I just chuck it away... me warming up... and then if gets better and at the end
I usually find I did have a point.... its all there though...

after a session like that I then keep it by my bed and find I noodle on it more and clarify and get the right word combinations for things in bits and pieces through out the evening and night.

Fyre_Nymph
August 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
thank you. the writters bllock is clearing up, so you guys know, and I'm actually getting good headway on some characater profiles.

majo
August 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I always admired people who could 'write through' their writer's block. Maybe that is why I always struggle with finishing my full length stories because I just don't have the mental stamina, lol.

When a creative block hits, I usually drop what I am writing and take a walk for an hour with the dog. The fresh air always gives me a chance to think about the direction of whatever story I am writing. Sometimes I find myself rewriting an entire story in my head!

If that doesn't help, I have a semi-large pile of stories that were never finished and so I sometimes go back and reread them to see why I quit in the first place. More often then not, I find myself taking bits from the unfinished stories and tossing them into the new one which leads to kind of an inspiritational boost. =)

SilverClaw
August 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM
For me I do one of three things, 1)write for the sake of writing, if what I write cannot be used at the time of my writers block it can be used at another time with maybe another story idea.

2) I usually take a break from writing the story that I am having the block with and usually then work on something else...which usually helps me. ( and it has resulted in three new stories.)

3)Then when I have severe writters block I cannot write poetry, or work on any of my novel ideas that is when I take and fall back upon meditation and lighting a yellow candle. Yellow is the colour that is said to break up writers block and inspires and I found it to be true.

Fyre_Nymph
August 24th, 2006, 08:50 PM
thank you. I should be able to get this book back up and going soon ^.^

SilverClaw
August 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM
That is great to hear and good luck. :)

Findarto
August 24th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Know what I hate?
When your head can tell the story faster than you can type it!
Argh, and then it wants to keep going and going :lol:.

SilverClaw
August 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Usually that is when I say forget typing and just get a pen and paper and away I go... :)

Findarto
August 24th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Usually that is when I say forget typing and just get a pen and paper and away I go... :)
THen I have to puzzle over my mix of cursive and manual lol :p.

SilverClaw
August 25th, 2006, 12:11 AM
:nyah: ok so your saying your writing is that bad ? :hehehehe: JK

Philosophia
August 25th, 2006, 12:14 AM
When I get writers block, I get somebody to give me a topic (for example, write a story centred around an animal) and I'm off writing. It doesn't matter if its good or bad, but that I'm simply writing.
Don't force yourself and enjoy it. When we start forcing ourselves, we may end up hating it.
:hugz:

Ron
August 25th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Personally I stop writing, and pick it up later. Regardless of circumstance.

Bad habit for exams.

SilverClaw
August 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM
When I get writers block, I get somebody to give me a topic (for example, write a story centred around an animal) and I'm off writing. It doesn't matter if its good or bad, but that I'm simply writing.
That reminds me of what my English/ Composition teacher did. He would give us a topic or two to chose from and exepect a story or essay by the end of the class.. I found it challenging because I had two classes with him. So I would have two hours in a row of just writing.

Philosophia
August 25th, 2006, 09:47 AM
That reminds me of what my English/ Composition teacher did. He would give us a topic or two to chose from and exepect a story or essay by the end of the class.. I found it challenging because I had two classes with him. So I would have two hours in a row of just writing.

Exactly! I'm a member of a local writers group and we sometimes set "homework" where people will set a topic, e.g. a Valentines day poem or a halloween short story, and we share it with everybody. Lately we've been setting exercises within the meetings and we share what we have written. Not only does it allow us to write but it also stretches our abilities and imagination to new depths.
:hugz:

Fyre_Nymph
August 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM
thanks, yall. my minds clearer already and I think the block is about gone. ^.^ Couldn't have done it wihtout you guys.

Tanya
August 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM
soo... there you are writing like mad and ... hand cramp...... must fight through pain... for art......

Findarto
August 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
soo... there you are writing like mad and ... hand cramp...... must fight through pain... for art......
You mean, Art™?

Fyre_Nymph
August 27th, 2006, 08:33 PM
actually, i think she means art as in creativity.

Findarto
August 27th, 2006, 10:03 PM
actually, i think she means art as in creativity.
Nah,
it's a political Pagan thing ;).

Fyre_Nymph
August 29th, 2006, 04:19 PM
oh. sry, dind't know, I don't know muhc about politics