PDA

View Full Version : Single

clef0628
February 18th, 2002, 09:24 PM
My mom got on me again this weekend about still being single. Again with the grandkid thing. (She does not like only being grandma to a snake.) Why just she cannot leave the subject alone. She keeps asking me when I'm going to get out more and see someone. I know she just trying to make sure I'm happy. But, it does not seem to get though to her that I'm happy being single for now. I just wish she would lay off the subject. I'm a quiet person, I'll find someone on my own time, or maybe I won't. Oh, well. Anyone else go though this stuff?

Haedis
February 22nd, 2002, 08:17 PM
well, though i'm not currently single...i've been through that alot. nobody would ever understand that when I wasnt comfortable with myself, the LAST thing i needed was another person in my life to complicate things. I went hearing that sort of stuff for a long time. I'm glad I didn't allow myself to be pressured into any relationship. It was well worth the wait, for me atleast. I wonder if you can put an invisibility spell on a certain topic. Like a "dont talk about me getting married" spell. hehe that would be splendid.

Faechylde
February 23rd, 2002, 05:03 AM
Hi! I never had that with my mom, but then again, I got married at 22 (I'm only 23 still). And I looked at your profile. You are only a couple years older than me. You've got plenty of time. Most parents don't want their kids getting married early and all that. Maybe she thinks you need a man to make your life worht anything. SO NOT TRUE! I LOVE my hubby but I don't need a man to validate my life. Your mom should see that. I hope she does soon. Good luck!

BB!

clef0628
February 23rd, 2002, 10:13 PM
I'm 25 now, my Mom was 25 when she got married. So, I guess she is putting herself into my place. Well, I atleast she has not brough it up again, but she will :rolleyes: I think she thinkness that a person cannot be happy alone. So, she is just looking to make me happy. I can understand that.

Rubi Waters
February 28th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Yes I went through that a lot. I was always a very quiet,shy person. My Mom was always on my case about it. I then met someone and the whole marriage thing happened. I know she did a lot of pushing (on his side too) well I am now divorced. that was a big disaster. Stay true to yourself and do what feels right to you.

mato
February 28th, 2002, 02:23 AM
went through that stuff and still am... My sister told me one day "gay straight bi tran whatever I am still looking for the right... human for you." ARG! she doesnt get the need to be single for a while. My mom is more like "We will just have to find the right girl for you." I stopped listening to both of them as they wouldnt respect my desire to be single. Funny though I have had some fun with the people they set me up with ;)...

clef0628
February 28th, 2002, 04:21 PM
I just got back to my desk, where I work to find a message on my phone; it is from my Mom. HR, just hired someone new here, and my Mom works in HR where this person use to work, so Mom called to let me know this and that they are cute, blond, a little of an airhead, and single. I'm the quiet, shy and yes, :rolleyes: nerdy type. That is me. I could care less about hair, but I perfer people with brains. Anyhow, she just does not give up. I think it is because, I don't get out to place where one can meet people, Oh, well!

Myst
February 28th, 2002, 04:42 PM
What did you say? "That's nice mom, bye now" ?

ManyBlessings
March 3rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
I think you should enjoy being single
its not healthy to be in a relationship all the time.
get to know yourself better or anything.
Enjoy the time you have with yourself.
My mom is not like that with me I have 2 kids and im with their father.
Going on 8 yrs.
She never pressures me or bugs me in any way to do something i dont want to.
She really doesnt bud in my business which is good.

Nina
March 3rd, 2002, 05:29 PM
... I always thought I should find someone, settle down, be a good girl - and I ended up with a divorce, and then an abusive relationship. Both me and my parents agree - time for me to be single. For however long I need to be.

Earthcup
March 5th, 2002, 08:32 PM
I get the same thing, only from my 13 yr old niece. Everytime I see her she wants to know if I have a boyfriend and then she wants to know if I'm a lesbian. It's getting quite annoying.

I'm Bi, single and it's none of her business!

*raises a glass to all the happy singles*

Dancin Girl
March 9th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Aaaaaaaaack!!! I used to get the suggestions, questions, prodding, what ever you want to call it.... from my daughter!! Only she was always a bit more blunt about it and had her own personal reasons and agenda..... She was constantly telling me I needed to go out and find a guy, have some sex....not her exact words but I'm being nice about it here.... and then maybe I wouldn't be so bitchy and I would be more occupied and leave her alone!! After I nicely and calmly explained to her that what if I found a guy, really cared about him, wanted a permanent relationship with him and then she would have two parents to bug her instead of just me?? Of course as a vocal, rather rebellious teen, this idea didn't sit well with her, and she stopped bothering me. Now that she's older, she says she completely understands my choice to be single and is grateful that I never pressure her on the subject.

Of course My Mom had a little to do with my views on the whole issue. She didn't get married until she was 36, and admitted that there were times when she regretted it even then. She never pressured us, in fact she was always the one telling us to keep looking, to not settle, and that there was nothing wrong with being single and happy, but something very wrong with being married and miserable!!

Nect
March 27th, 2002, 03:38 AM
I don't get too much pressure from my parents on this subject. They do occassionally want to hook me up with some guy, but I always dare them to, "Go ahead, put me on some blind date. I'll give you a bad reputation, too." They know that I could just go psycho and start dancing naked on the dinner table if I wanted...so they don't push it! :lol:

I really don't understand how so many people think it's SO important to find someone... I mean, I'm happy for all those who are in happy relationships, but I like being single! I find it such a burden to be in a relationship...I'd really much rather read a book... But that don't mean I don't want sex...just no attachments. :D

Nect

Niamh
March 27th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Well...
I just ended a long term (4 years) with the man I figured I'd be spending my life with (ok, I didn't end it, he did). I'm working on getting over it, and have since moved back in with my parents.

I know I want to be single for a good long while. I don't have opposition to going out on a date now and again, but not another relationship for... well, til I think I'm ready.

My mother understood that at first, but now I should be fixed up with this person or that person, or, "IF you go to the pub later, bring home a nice Irish boy."

I think part of it is she's trying to help cure my depression. And the larger part is she thinks I need a man.

I don't really say anything about it to her... unless she gets very pushy!

shnen
March 28th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Hey! I'm 10 days older than you!
Yes, I have my family ragging on me too about marriage and the kids, and that's even after 2 ex-fiances!

If you can't ignore it, then talk with her. She only wants you to be happy, and a lot of people seem to think you can't be happy unless you are with someone else, that you can't possibly be happy alone...

I am single, and very happy being single. Enjoy it, embrace it and when or if you chose to date or whatever... you'll know, and only you! good luck.

Alphyna
April 7th, 2002, 12:36 AM
You8 probably already know this, but never settle! Don't ever take what anyone else says seriously. We all have someone to meet, Allow yourself to be receptive, and understand that they enter our lives when we are truly ready for them
:heartthro :sunny: :heartthro :bubbles: :loveduv:
Love to All! Sarah