PDA

View Full Version : Adopt-A-Newbie FAQ

Kalika
August 24th, 2006, 11:21 AM
If you have a question that you think should be added, please PM me.

What is the "adopt-a-newbie" program?

The adopt-a-newbie program is a program that we came up with for new pagans and seasoned pagans alike to learn more about their areas of interest within paganism/wicca/witchcraft/etc. "Newbies" are those who would like to be paired with a more seasoned "mentor" to help guide them along their path, assist with building confidence and to answer questions, as well as to provide direction for learning and growing.

How does the program work?[b]

There is no formal format to how the program proceeds once you are assigned a mentor/newbie. That is up to you and your mentor/newbie. We provide you with the match; you set the learning structure and communication style that works best for you. This way, hopefully, you'll be able to set guidelines for yourself that enable you to stick with the program, making it more beneficial for you to utilize. If you are unsure how to proceed, feel free to PM me, and I can offer teaching/training suggestions.

[b]Why did you choose the term "newbie"?

"Newbie" was the easiest way to describe a newcomer to the path, or one who didn't quite feel as sure-footed on their way as others may. This also avoids confusion as to what the program entails, because it is not an apprenticeship or a formal learning program.

Why does it seem like my mentor and I are not a 100% match?

The mentor-newbie pairs are as closely matched as the resources that I have available (ie, mentors and newbies who have signed up), meaning you will likely not be a 100 or even 80 percent match to your mentor/newbie. This is the reason for requesting five areas of interest/knowledge - so that at least one area is a match between the two of you, generally the first one listed, or the one you have expressed the most interest in learning more about. Every mentor should be able to provide you with some knowledge that will be beneficial to you, even if they are not 100% matched to the areas that you expressed an interest in.

I don't think that things are working out between my mentor/newbie and me, can I be reassigned?

Yes, you can be reassigned, but I ask that you give your mentor/newbie a chance before requesting this, as it does take time on my part to pair you up and I give it a lot of thought before doing so. If you would like to be reassigned, please PM me with the following information: Your mentor/newbies MW ID, why you don't think it's working, your email address, and your areas of interest/knowledge. This will help keep the new requests separate from the reassignments.

I didn't receive a response to my email right away - should I re-send my information to you?

No. When I send out assignments, I will also post in the forum - so check back frequently. If you do not receive an email assignment, or an email saying why you were not assigned, then send another email with your information to the mwmentors email address.

How do I sign up?

Follow the instructions in these threads:

"Newbies" (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=126857)

Mentors (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=126855)

Beckyfacerod
February 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
This sounds like a great program! I have sent my e-mail and hope to hear back soon. Thanks! :fpraise: