PDA

View Full Version : Dosage for acidophilus?

Faery-Wings
February 21st, 2002, 08:56 AM
I am currently taking a two week course of antibiotics (severe sinus infection, yuck!) I always, and I mean always, get yeast infections when I am on anti-bi's. I am taking acidophilus, hoping that I can keep one away this time. Do any of you what the dosage for that should be? The bottle says 2 caplets a day and there is 40 billion colony forming units at time of manufacturing. What that menas...*shrug* :) My book says a dose of 1- 10 billion units 3-4 times a day. So this is a big range here! Any clue as to how much to take and if there are any side effects/issues with taking too much?

Thanks!

Chris

Lavender
February 21st, 2002, 02:27 PM
I wonder if Greenman could help you here. I have no idea but just wanted to say hope you get better soon! :(

Faery-Wings
February 22nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Thanks Wildchild. I feel miserable still. Eucalyptus steams, tea tree and almond oil rubs in the sinus area, nettle tea.....nothing helped. And I think I let it go too long.
I appreciate the get well wishes. I hate being sick! ( And this is why I have been quiet here, no energy. :()

So greeeennnnmaaaaaaaannnnnnn, where are you? :D

Chris

Ganga
February 22nd, 2002, 12:00 PM
There are no side-effects with taking too much acidophilus. You can easily follow the largest recommended dose. In Finland, acidophilus/lactobacillus is often added to yoghurt or buttermilk. It is a great help! Antibiotics are very harsh. I prefer garlic, but it does smell awfull.

I used to get sinusitis at least twice a year, but once I cured it with homeopathic medicine, it hasn't come back. Homeopathy is great because it builds your body's own resistance.

Have you tried sauna bath with eucalyptus/pine mixed in the water that you throw on the stones? (Don't go to sauna if you have a high fever, though.)

Faery-Wings
February 22nd, 2002, 06:27 PM
Thanks Ganga, I think I am going to take an extra capsule here and there to be on the safe side, as long as there are no major side effects. The sauna sounds great, and I haven't tried that tho I would love to. When I wrote euc. steam, I meant hanging my head over a steamimg boil of water. LOL! The sauna would be *much* better!

What homeopathy meds did you take for your infection? Maybe I will try that next time. I am prone to them too. If a cold lasts more than 3-4 days, it goes right into my sinuses and I hate antibiotics too.

BB

Chris

Lavender
February 23rd, 2002, 12:11 AM
I forgot! I was going to suggest putting a few drops of tea tree oil in your eucalyptus steam. Tea tree is good for that.

Laiste
February 23rd, 2002, 12:23 AM
Well Chryssi I don't have any advise for you and it looks like your doing all you can for yourself! I just want to send some warm healing energies your way!! Fell better soon!

Yvonne Belisle
February 23rd, 2002, 12:28 AM
Get better quick! :)

Ganga
February 23rd, 2002, 11:42 AM
Yes, get better quick!

I'm sorry that I can't remember the name of the homeopathic remedy/remedies I took. It's been five years since, and the medicine was prescribed by a homeopathic doctor in India. I'm not even sure if he actually told me the name of the remedy, or if he just gave me the pills (I was quite sick at that time with a high fever, etc.). I only remember that it did work.

Faery-Wings
February 25th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all of the get well wishes. I am finally starting to feel a bit better.

(psst- and no yeast infection yet, *knocks wood* I think the acidophilous is working :D)

:D

Chris