PDA

View Full Version : MW Library!

Evendusk
August 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
First post in a new forum! I just had to do it!

MW having it's own library is fantastic! Woo hoo! _handclapp :fpartyfav

:dancy: :dancy: :thewave: :dancy: :dancy:

:fpartyfav:thewave: :ringaroun :thewave::fpartyfav

GEBS
August 29th, 2006, 02:49 PM
LOL!

Just be patient with new additions. It's going to take forever to get everything in here that we want. :)

MockingbirdOxygen
August 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM
It's pretty dang cool, though! :thumbsup:

And... will there be anyone to ask questions, like, if we aren't sure if we totally "get" what a piece is saying? I say this because I browsed that first Thelemite piece and I'm not really familiar with it, although another weird coinkydink is the way I came across a book about Aleister Crowley a few weeks ago, and the book mentions some of this same stuff, although I only skimmed it and did not read cover to cover...

oh, and it stuck in my head while I was writing lyrics , I kept hearing that phrase "Do what thou wilt", so that I put that in my song, in fact, started the song out with it, but the rest of the song, I thought that was all my own! - however, now after looking at the literary work on here, I'm thinking it really parallels the whole song, maybe, even though that wasn't my intention, having no other knowledge of the religion. I might want to pass the lyrics by someone else to see if they think so too, if anyone is interested...

:wave:

GEBS
August 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM
We chose to list each book the way we did so that if anyone has questions they can start a thread in that section so everyone can discuss it. I'm sure there is someone here that will be able to help. We figured open discussion would be the best option.

I would love to read the lyrics if you want to share them :)

Xentor
August 29th, 2006, 05:00 PM
LOL!

Just be patient with new additions. It's going to take forever to get everything in here that we want. :)

Hey... can we list the Dialogues on Checkerism (http://www.omegajunior.net/leven/faith/) too?

GEBS
August 29th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hey... can we list the Dialogues on Checkerism (http://www.omegajunior.net/leven/faith/) too?
Yes!

Silvana
August 29th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I've seen a site full of free Reiki manuals...let me see if I can find it again and I'll post back. I would love to see a Reiki text section in the library!

Edited to Add:

Found it! http://www.sharereiki.org/sriforum/index.php?topic=4978.0
They list a bunch of free Reiki manuals :)

Ben Gruagach
September 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Just wondering (and I hope this question doesn't offend those who've worked hard posting texts...)

Would it be possible to post these wonderful public domain texts as file attachments to the threads instead of as a series of cut-and-paste posts? TXT is an allowed file attachment format and is ideal for these sorts of longer texts. (Other formats are also allowed for attachments such as graphic files but also other document formats such as MS Word's DOC, and Adobe Acrobat's PDF.)

File attachments would make the threads easier to check out, and people could choose to print out the whole thing on their own printers much more easily (and with their own preferred formatting if they want to format the TXT or DOC files) than if they want to save a document from a bunch of separate posts in a thread.

I've done a sample thread with the public-domain version of Leland's "Aradia" in both TXT and PDF formats. It's here (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?p=2818044).

GEBS
September 25th, 2006, 12:44 PM
see your karma poke :)

must get off lazy bum and fix technical difficulties that have kept me from working on the library. *blush*

Ben Gruagach
September 25th, 2006, 12:53 PM
see your karma poke :)

must get off lazy bum and fix technical difficulties that have kept me from working on the library. *blush*

I sent this to you as a PM but I'm posting it here in case anyone else is wondering.

You can add file attachments to any post you make here at MysticWicks. When you're composing your message to post, just scroll down the screen below the "Submit" button to where it says "Additional Options."

There's an Attachments section -- just click the button that says "Manage Attachments" and it should pop up a window where you can select the files you want to attach. Be sure to click the Upload button over towards the right after you've selected the file or files you want to upload. Then wait for it to finish uploading them before you try to do anything else. When it's done uploading the floating attachment window should have a section that says "Current Attachments" which lists all the files you've attached and already uploaded to include with the message you're posting. It also tells you the file size and lets you remove it if you change your mind before you post the message.

Once you've uploaded the files to attach you can close the floating window and finish posting your message!

You can't attach files to Private Messages but you can in regular posts in the messageboard.

That floating window where you upload the files to attach also has a chart that shows you the maximum file size for each file type. Just make sure the files you want to upload are under those limits and you should be safe!

GEBS
September 25th, 2006, 01:05 PM
hehe... that's not the part I needed help with! :D

but thank you!

SylverStar
December 15th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Wow, this is pretty cool...I just noticed it.

Kaylara
March 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
BenG,
I'd do that, but it really doesn't work for the PodsnetBOS. If want to download the full version they can google it and download the 7 zip files. (But it's really difficult to find anything in it from those files.)

Ben Gruagach
March 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
BenG,
I'd do that, but it really doesn't work for the PodsnetBOS. If want to download the full version they can google it and download the 7 zip files. (But it's really difficult to find anything in it from those files.)

I just thought if someone was going to all the trouble of formatting stuff to post as a series of messages here, it would actually be easier for them to just do it as a TXT or DOC file and attach it -- regardless where they're getting it from (like the PODSNet stuff or elsewhere.)

TXT or DOC or even PDF files are easier for the end user to actually save and keep themselves than posts.

But don't let me stop anyone who wants to post stuff as actual messages! Just trying to save everyone having to reformat things multiple times.

GEBS
March 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
If we don't post the files in the posts they will not be searchable. mol wants to have the actual text posted so we can easily find what we're looking for. It would be good to have both though.

Speaking of.... I'm considering looking for a MW Librarian. I don't have time to post all the texts I want in here.

Ben Gruagach
March 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM
If we don't post the files in the posts they will not be searchable. mol wants to have the actual text posted so we can easily find what we're looking for. It would be good to have both though.

I did not realize that making the texts searchable with the MysticWicks forum search was part of the plan. That does make sense.

If the goal is to have a searchable database of spiritual documents though it might be better to just point people towards things like sacred-texts.com where they've already got that project well under way. They could also use our support instead of recreating what they've got elsewhere. (They're also very open to new submissions if there are public-domain documents you feel should be included.)

But if the goal is to have searchable texts that would come up in the usual search feature here at MysticWicks, including both the discussions as well as text files, then posting documents as threads would do the job.

Just trying to suggest options!

MysticCottageHerbs
March 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM
This was a great idea! Thank you!!

Cassie
March 22nd, 2007, 06:26 AM
This is going to be a great resource. Well done to everyone involved and thanks for the work you are putting in on this.

NefertSatSekhmet
May 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Speaking of.... I'm considering looking for a MW Librarian. I don't have time to post all the texts I want in here.

:wave: I noticed the Kemetic/Egyptian folder has never been posted in. I know Budge and some others are no longer under copyright. I would happily volunteer to post some stuff in the library.

GEBS
May 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM
That would be wonderful. I'll add you to the Librarian list, if you don't mind.

BenSt
May 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM
That would be wonderful. I'll add you to the Librarian list, if you don't mind.

Hey, do you need another Librarian?? If you want, I have credentials :p... I volunteered at a Library for 5 years... but more so becasue I have a good 4 Gigs of public domain texts I would like to share! Most specifically in Buddhism and Hinduism... and a few other things.

Namaste

Tobias

GEBS
May 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM
:fpraise:

I'll set you up! I'm so glad to have more help!

Libris
October 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM
If you need more help posting things, I'd love to be involved. I have many texts that are not yet posted- mostly relating to Scottish, Welsh and Irish mythology and worship. Of course so many of those texts from the 1800's are questionable, but still useful in their own way, I think. In many cases, they're all we've got :(

Anyway, thanks for putting so much work into this. I think this will be a great resource in the future!

GEBS
October 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I would be happy to add you to the Librarian group. We need all the help we can get. :)

Libris
October 24th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Awesome :D As soon as I am allowed, I'll start adding (public domain) texts (^_^)

-Goes off to browse through her files-

GEBS
October 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM
You are all set :) Please visit the Librarians Corner first. Thanks so much for your help.

mammas_girl
December 12th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Is there anything I can do to help???

acdb
February 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Same here; is there anything I can do to help? It seems to have gone fairly quiet in here.
Cheers,
Alex

Humming Bird
February 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
so, whats the protocol here for getting something added?

theres a bunch of free and legal stuff out there!

Just wondering (and I hope this question doesn't offend those who've worked hard posting texts...)

Would it be possible to post these wonderful public domain texts as file attachments to the threads instead of as a series of cut-and-paste posts? TXT is an allowed file attachment format and is ideal for these sorts of longer texts. (Other formats are also allowed for attachments such as graphic files but also other document formats such as MS Word's DOC, and Adobe Acrobat's PDF.)

File attachments would make the threads easier to check out, and people could choose to print out the whole thing on their own printers much more easily (and with their own preferred formatting if they want to format the TXT or DOC files) than if they want to save a document from a bunch of separate posts in a thread.

I've done a sample thread with the public-domain version of Leland's "Aradia" in both TXT and PDF formats. It's here (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?p=2818044).

I think this is a great idea, although, why not both? :D