PDA

View Full Version : Heathen tribes

sybba_leigh
September 1st, 2006, 11:08 PM
Are there any heathens here?

Are any of you in a heathen tribe?

Do you think being in a hethean tribe is a good idea?

I went on a camping trip last weekend with some heathens i know as "good folk" and i met their tribe and i got along with them okay and i'm thinking of joining.

Rick
September 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM

Yep, there are a few around... :hahugh:

Speaking for myself, no.

Again, speaking for myself, no.

Sounds like you were hangin' with some Theodsmen, or maybe Anglo-Saxon folk... most of 'em that I know are good folks & good Heathens, but oathing to a lord or king just ain't my thang.

Give me my freedom for as
long as I be.
All I ask of livin' is
to have no chains on me.

...from When I Die by Blood, Sweat, & Tears

sybba_leigh
September 2nd, 2006, 12:30 AM
well i don't know the lord very well. but he seems to be a nice and knowledgable person. the lady, his wife, however, i really admire. can you oath to just the lady? :-S i don't even know what that oath would entail. its just like i agree that she should be in charge of the tribe? if that's the case, then i would oath to the lord too because he's a good leader.

obviously i don't know much about heathenism/asatru, but being a lover of learning sag, becoming a skalk is a good way to learn and make new friends, right? i'm not obligated to oath to anyone after my training. i'll probably just want to by then.

Wolfpoet
September 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Never take an oath lightly, they have a habit of becoming chains you can not break.

Anyway, Skalds should be free of obligations. Skalds speak the truth, tell the sagas and spread the wisdom.

Sometimes that truth must be an uncomfortable truth, or in your duties have cause to speak against your own Jarl. an oath could lead to a conflict of interest on that.

me, I am and always will be a Vargr.

Mjollnir
September 3rd, 2006, 10:16 AM
well i don't know the lord very well. he could be a very nice person. from my pov, he seems okay but he's nothing great. the lady, his wife, however, i really admire. can you oath to just the lady? :-S i don't even know what that oath would entail. its just like i agree that she should be in charge of the tribe? if that's the case, then i would oath to the lord too because he's a good leader.

obviously i don't know much about heathenism/asatru, but being a lover of learning sag, becoming a skalk is a good way to learn and make new friends, right? i'm not obligated to oath to anyone after my training.

Just out of sheer curiousity, the lord isnt named O'Halloran is he? and your "camping trip" wasn't the ECT was it?

sybba_leigh
September 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Just out of sheer curiousity, the lord isnt named O'Halloran is he? and your "camping trip" wasn't the ECT was it?

YES!!!!

my name's lisa and i was the little shy girl lol. do i know you?!

i hope i don't get in trouble for talking about the tribe like this. :-(

La Fortuna
September 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
Hi All !

I believe there are many heathens on Mystic Wicks. Heathen usually refers to those paths or religions outside of Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.

I think many here would be considered heathens by these particular religions. LOL

As for your camping trip with the tribe, I would be first very curious about their dogma, codes and doctrine and such before I joined. However, joining a path is usually the only way to really gain experience and understanding.

Good Luck!

Blessing, La Fortuna

Mjollnir
September 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
YES!!!!

my name's lisa and i was the little shy girl lol. do i know you?!

i hope i don't get in trouble for talking about the tribe like this. :-(

I am heathen but I am not a Normannii and I was at the ECT. I do not remember being introduced to you however that has no real bearing on this, if you get in trouble for asking questions about a particular group then that group IMO isn't worth joining, e-mail me off list and we will talk more.

sybba_leigh
September 3rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Hi All !

I believe there are many heathens on Mystic Wicks. Heathen usually refers to those paths or religions outside of Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.

I think many here would be considered heathens by these particular religions. LOL

As for your camping trip with the tribe, I would be first very curious about their dogma, codes and doctrine and such before I joined. However, joining a path is usually the only way to really gain experience and understanding.

Good Luck!

Blessing, La Fortuna

i think anything outside of islam, christianity and judaism is simply paganism. the heathens i know like the word heathen as opossed to pagan because pagan is too much of an umbrella term.

okay, i just looked up the word heathen at dictionary.com and i think they have a really bitchy definition:

hea‧then  /ˈhiðən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hee-thuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -thens, -then, adjective

–noun 1. an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the Bible; a person who is neither a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim; pagan.
2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
–adjective 3. of or pertaining to heathens; pagan.
4. irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: bef. 900; ME hethen, OE hǣthen, akin to G Heide, heidnisch (adj.), ON heithingi (n.), heithinn (adj.), Goth haithno (n.); perh. akin to heath]

—Related forms
hea‧then‧dom, noun
hea‧then‧hood, noun
hea‧then‧ness, noun
hea‧then‧ship, noun

—Synonyms 3. heathenish, barbarous. Heathen, pagan are both applied to peoples who are not Christian, Jewish, or Muslim. Heathen is often distinctively applied to unenlightened or barbaric idolaters, esp. to primitive or ancient tribes: heathen rites, idols. Pagan, though applied to any of the peoples not worshiping according to the three religions mentioned above, is most frequently used in speaking of the ancient Greeks and Romans: a pagan poem; a pagan civilization. 4. philistine; savage.
—Antonyms 4. sophisticated, urbane, cultured.

sybba_leigh
September 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I am heathen but I am not a Normannii and I was at the ECT. I do not remember being introduced to you however that has no real bearing on this, if you get in trouble for asking questions about a particular group then that group IMO isn't worth joining, e-mail me off list and we will talk more.

yeah, i wasn't introduced to many people outside of normannii. its so funny that we were both there though. good point about the being aloud to ask question, i just don't want anyone to think i'm a bitch because i questioned dan's greatness. i added you to my yahoo list--- i'm tryamourx. talk to ya soon!

David19
September 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Hi All !

Good Luck!

Blessing, La Fortuna

I agree with the rest of your advice, but just wanted to say i don't think Heathen means every religion that isn't Jewish, Christian or Muslim, like sybba_leigh said, from what i know, most Heathens are those that are practicing the religion of the Norse, or at least influenced by the Norse (e.g. i think it includes Anglo-Saxon recons (or Theodish, i think is the name?)).

Everyone else is just a 'pagan', i think anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to say that :).

sybba_leigh
September 3rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
right, heathenism includes theodism and asatru. i think. theodism- modern people modeling their lives after the ancient ways of the norse. asatru- true to the gods and goddesses.

Mjollnir
September 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
right, heathenism includes theodism and asatru. i think. theodism- modern people modeling their lives after the ancient ways of the norse. asatru- true to the gods and goddesses.

The Theods and Normannii are modeling their ways after tribal anglo-saxon/continental ways, i.e the whole sacral king thing, pledging fealty, thralldom and what have you. Asatruar/heathens are basing their beliefs of the pre-christian views of northern europe, most specifically the Scandanavian countries and Iceland. The Theods and Normannii are also it seems trying to recreate a whole system of living as it was back in the day as opposed to taking what they know and applying it to this day in age.

Asatru are much more than just being true to the gods and goddesses

KellyP
September 3rd, 2006, 11:19 PM
The Theods and Normannii are modeling their ways after tribal anglo-saxon/continental ways

I have not seen mention of the Normannii before. Do you have any links to info that might educate me (The modern organization, not the original Normans)?

It would definitely be interesting to have some folks familiar with both types of organizations comment here in the MW forums. Maybe we could send some emails inviting members to come and represent their beliefs and practices? Or even host a "Heathen Tribes Chat Night".

*Donning his party hat*

sybba_leigh
September 4th, 2006, 12:00 AM
The Theods and Normannii are modeling their ways after tribal anglo-saxon/continental ways, i.e the whole sacral king thing, pledging fealty, thralldom and what have you. Asatruar/heathens are basing their beliefs of the pre-christian views of northern europe, most specifically the Scandanavian countries and Iceland. The Theods and Normannii are also it seems trying to recreate a whole system of living as it was back in the day as opposed to taking what they know and applying it to this day in age.

Asatru are much more than just being true to the gods and goddesses

okay, so would you like to share your definition of asatru?

btw how did you know i was talking about dan? that was a very good guess considering there were many other tribes at the ect...

sybba_leigh
September 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I have not seen mention of the Normannii before. Do you have any links to info that might educate me (The modern organization, not the original Normans)?

It would definitely be interesting to have some folks familiar with both types of organizations comment here in the MW forums. Maybe we could send some emails inviting members to come and represent their beliefs and practices? Or even host a "Heathen Tribes Chat Night".

*Donning his party hat*

the normannii website is:

http://www.normannii.org/

i'm in their yahoo group, maybe i should post a link to mw and tell them that their presence is wanted here?

Mjollnir
September 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM
okay, so would you like to share your definition of asatru?

btw how did you know i was talking about dan? that was a very good guess considering there were many other tribes at the ect...

Easy, the ECT ia an Asatru community building event, the Normannii and Theods may say they are asatru, but most times they say they are not and their actions back it up.

There were other kindreds there, but only the Normannii and Theods call their groups tribes and considering the words you used to describe them it wasn't too hard to figure it out. I would be more than happy to share my knowledge withy you, be it e-mail,PM, telephone or even if you came to one of our kindreds events...one of which was held at our home this past saturday...but my kin and I would more than likely be willing to meet at a diner with you to discuss it if you like.

Wolfpoet
September 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Many ways to follow a path.

The Theods wish to deny the future and live in the past, the asatruar try to apply the lessons of the past to the future.

The Vargr just live today, forget yesterday and do not care for tomorrow.

But where we may travel different paths and argue over the wisdom of each one, they all lead to the same place.

sybba_leigh
September 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Many ways to follow a path.

The Theods wish to deny the future and live in the past, the asatruar try to apply the lessons of the past to the future.

The Vargr just live today, forget yesterday and do not care for tomorrow.

But where we may travel different paths and argue over the wisdom of each one, they all lead to the same place.

i have noticed they're very focused on the past, but i think they are just honoring their ancestors because they think they had the right idea. they try to recreate their rituals and hospitality and all that. but wow, normannii is also really up on their pop culture!!

can someone please, please explain the concept of "wyrd"? i didn't really understand what i was told. something about a well of knowledge? is this like an astral well? and then there's seers (i don't know if that's the right word) who can look into the well and gather information?

sybba_leigh
September 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Easy, the ECT ia an Asatru community building event, the Normannii and Theods may say they are asatru, but most times they say they are not and their actions back it up.

There were other kindreds there, but only the Normannii and Theods call their groups tribes and considering the words you used to describe them it wasn't too hard to figure it out. I would be more than happy to share my knowledge withy you, be it e-mail,PM, telephone or even if you came to one of our kindreds events...one of which was held at our home this past saturday...but my kin and I would more than likely be willing to meet at a diner with you to discuss it if you like.

ooooh, okay. kindreds. it was confusing to have all these different terms thrown around, i thought people were using kindred as a synonym for tribe 8O .

umm yeah, i would love to come to one of your kindred events! i'll pm you about it now.

Vigdisdotter
September 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM

<raises hand>

No, I'm a lone wolf at the moment. Most of the heathens near me are not all that "near" and it's just not practical for me at this time. though I've been thinking about starting a kithing in my area.....

Yes, but mostly because community is very important to me. Being in a tribe isn't your only option when it comes to community, though.

Vigdisdotter
September 4th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Heathen usually refers to those paths or religions outside of Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.

Not in paganism. The above Judea-Christian version. Among pagans though, it refers to the group beliefs and practices that are derived from the Germanic Tribes. And as those guys moved around and evolved "heathen" therefore covers more then a few things.

Carla O'Harris
September 6th, 2006, 05:52 AM
can someone please, please explain the concept of "wyrd"?

Basic root-concept : Becoming, the flow of events.

Generally speaking "wyrd" as such refers to past events, but is not restricted to that. Historians were called "wyrd-writers" in Anglo-Saxon, indicating this usage of "wyrd" to mean "that which has happened".

Because of all of this, the word "fate" is sometimes used to translate it.

A book called The Well and the Tree by Bauschatz is worth reading for its philosophy of wyrd and the well of wyrd.

The Well of Wyrd feeds and heals Yggdrasil, the World-Tree. Bauschatz essentially considers the Tree to represent manifestation, and the Well to represent potentiality, with a constant circulation between the two. Past deeds lay the pathworks for present deeds.

The Well of Wyrd bubbles and circulates, but at its bottom are layers of sedimentation from all the deeds which have been lain down. When you commit a deed, you are sowing a seed, as it were.

This is merely scratching the surface of this important concept, but I'd begin chewing on these ideas and then seek out more.

sybba_leigh
September 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Basic root-concept : Becoming, the flow of events.

Generally speaking "wyrd" as such refers to past events, but is not restricted to that. Historians were called "wyrd-writers" in Anglo-Saxon, indicating this usage of "wyrd" to mean "that which has happened".

Because of all of this, the word "fate" is sometimes used to translate it.

A book called The Well and the Tree by Bauschatz is worth reading for its philosophy of wyrd and the well of wyrd.

The Well of Wyrd feeds and heals Yggdrasil, the World-Tree. Bauschatz essentially considers the Tree to represent manifestation, and the Well to represent potentiality, with a constant circulation between the two. Past deeds lay the pathworks for present deeds.

The Well of Wyrd bubbles and circulates, but at its bottom are layers of sedimentation from all the deeds which have been lain down. When you commit a deed, you are sowing a seed, as it were.

This is merely scratching the surface of this important concept, but I'd begin chewing on these ideas and then seek out more.

thanks for the explanation!! i'm gonna try to get my hands on the book you mentioned. :)