PDA

View Full Version : Generic Gods and Goddesses as opposed to specifics

Shy Hawk
April 4th, 2001, 04:21 PM
My question is this, I have been involved in wicca for some time now, and I have always used the terms God and Goddess, but many people use specific Gods and Goddesses. Hera, Apollo....etc.
What is the value of using specific names as opposed to general terms?
Also, would you have to use a different God or Goddess depending on your ritual or spell? Or do some people just have one God and one Goddess they worship?
Thank you, any help on this would be great.
Shy Hawk

Amethyst Rose
April 5th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Of course, everyone practices differently so I can only speak for myself.
I use the terms God and Goddess, because I believe that all Gods and Goddesses are all parts of one big unknown. However, if I want to perform a ritual or spell, I will use the name of one goddess/god to represent the certian powers that I want to bring to the working.
For example, say I wanted to cast a spell to aid a friend in childbirth. Then I would call on Carmentia (Roman goddess of childbirth), or Eleithyia (Aegian goddess of birth). You get the point. By calling on these goddesses, the energies that I want to put in the working are more focused.
Some people always use different gods and goddesses for rituals and spells, and some people only use God and Goddess.
It is completely up to you how you want to practice. Are you more comfortable with just the god and goddess? or are you more comforable giving them names? It's your choice. :)

Shy Hawk
April 5th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply.
See I think I would be more comfortable following a certain pantheon, or just using certain specific names, but that's a very tough decision to make. I'm not really sure how I would go about picking one.
Maybe it's another one of those things like it will chose me when I'm ready. lol. Like my name..
I am planning on going to the Pagan Spirit Festival in Ohio this summer, I'm sure it will be wonderful and may give me more info on a specific tradition. Anyone else going?
Shy Hawk

Wynter
April 5th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I am one of those Wiccans who choose to see all the different names of goddess and gods, as one whole. When I'm explaining this to my friends, I use a story. Some of you may have heard this before, I've slightly modified it.

One was 5 blind men walking throughout the savanna of Africa. They came to an elephant. Each one laid there hands on a different part of it.
The man who had his hand on the tail declared, "This is a Rope with frayed ends."
The man who hand his hand on the elephants' ears said, "No its not you fool, Its a fan of course."
The man who had grasped the elephants leg said, "No, both of you are wrong, its a tree."
The man who had laid his hands on the elephants trunk said, "No, its a hose."
The man sitting under the elephant said, "I don't know what you are talking about! There is nothing here."
The man argued over it, the finally moved one, each having their own idea of what the had come on.

I see use very much like the blind man, and the elephant the Divine. We each see a different part of it, but maybe we are all looking at the same thing.

Some people find it easier to use different Pantheons to view the Divine. Others, Like myself, prefer just to call the divine the God and Goddess. And still other view each god or goddess as separate. I feel its about choosing the one which you feel most comfortable with.

In Ritual, I usually invite the Goddess and God. In spellwork, I either ask the help of a certain 'aspect' of the Goddess or God. Like when I did a spell to protect the woods near my home, I called on Artemis.

Like I tell my friends, no matter what you choose, you can always change back, or to something else.

MoonWolf
April 8th, 2001, 09:41 PM
Well like most people, I believe that all the gods and goddesses are one, however each aspect of the god and goddess has it's own personality, likes and dislikes etc. So it is always best to know something about the diety you are working with if you are going to work with a specific diety.