PDA

View Full Version : A Book For Women

Earth Walker
April 5th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Don't be put off by the title, it is a very good book,
and one that every woman should read. :)

****....a declaration of independence, by Inga Muscio

You may order the book at:

www.sealpress.com :sunny:

Ari
April 6th, 2001, 03:19 AM
*intrigued* will have to go have a look for this one, I like feminist literature...on a slightly off topic (and not entirely unrelated) note, has anyone seen these http://www.yoni.com/loverf/vulvaintro.shtml before? ;)

reanna
April 6th, 2001, 03:40 AM
I had to do a double take when I read the title.
Wasn't sure I had seen what I thought I saw.... but.... I did.
Comes like... BANG!!! right out of left field.. and hits ya!
I actually choked, coughed and sputtered. LOL
Was not what I was expecting to read... I know you warned, but maybe I was sleeping on that one. Too funny.

However, I will go and check out the site. A book with such a bold title, bears some more investigation. :)

I am not offended. I just figured that my coughing and sputtering moment was worth sharing for a laugh.

Thanks for sharing.

reanna

Lady Raven
April 8th, 2001, 12:07 AM
Just thought I'd share Barbara G. Walker's Feminist Fairy Tales, the cutest story is Ugly and the Beast. It's a good read, some stories I couldn't get into, but they're alright.
I have Dreaming in the Dark, by Starhawk and she refers to the dark ****, I was taken aback but I looked it up in Barbara G. Walker's, The Women's Encylopedia of Myths and Secrets, and found that "****" was synonmous with "woman" and the Goddess' gential opening ("Kin") and it refered to matrilineal blood relations. It's an old word that wasn't slang, it's was just the language , though today it's used in a vulgar manner.
I know what put me off was when I went to a site that adored the Great Whore, it was startling, but I read further and learned something:) ~raven

Ari
April 10th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Lady Raven
Just thought I'd share Barbara G. Walker's Feminist Fairy Tales, the cutest story is Ugly and the Beast. It's a good read, some stories I couldn't get into, but they're alright.

I borrowed that off a friend a year or two ago...Ugly and the Beast was one of my favourite stories too ;) If you liked Walker's book, you might find "Fearless Girls" by Kathleen Ragan interesting too...

Lady Raven
April 10th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Ari, thanx! I'll check it out.~raven