PDA

View Full Version : Verthaine On:Priorities

Vincent Verthaine
September 19th, 2006, 04:11 AM
From THE BOOK OF CHAOS AND IT'S VIRTUES ("http://www.verthaine.sphosting.com/BOE8.html)

An Erisian hermit was meditating by a river when a young man interrupted him. "Master, I wish to become your disciple," said the man. "Why?" replied the hermit. The young man thought for a moment. "Because I want to find Goddess Eris.
." The master jumped up, grabbed him by the scruff of his neck, dragged him into the river, and plunged his head under water. After holding him there for a minute, with him kicking and struggling to free himself, the master finally pulled him up out of the river. The young man coughed up water and gasped to get his breath. When he eventually quieted down, the master spoke. "Tell me, what did you want most of all when you were under water." "Air!" answered the man.

"Very well," said the master. "Go home and come back to me when you want the Goddess as much as you just wanted air."

Infinite Grey
September 19th, 2006, 04:29 AM
sucks to be a discordian then :hahugh:

Vincent Verthaine
September 19th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Yep.That's why I'm going back to being an Erisian,instead of being a Discordian.
I'm getting to old for stupid politics.

Infinite Grey
September 19th, 2006, 04:54 AM
I've never really been into politics... you're screwed no matter which road you take... so I take my own... cross country baby!

Vincent Verthaine
September 19th, 2006, 05:07 AM
I've never really been into politics... you're screwed no matter which road you take... so I take my own... cross country baby!

Yep,sometimes the scenic route is best.

Infinite Grey
September 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM
What is the difference between a discordian and an Erisian?

SilverClaw
September 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM
"Very well," said the master. "Go home and come back to me when you want the Goddess as much as you just wanted air."That is a powerful way of putting it.

Yep,sometimes the scenic route is best.
And what is that other saying it is not the destination that is the best part, but rather the journey?

What is the difference between a discordian and an Erisian? That is something I have been wanting to know as well.

coaxialkettle
September 19th, 2006, 12:51 PM
vive la difference!
and also;LIVE the Difference!
the proof of the Pudding is in the Eating...

Infinite Grey
September 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM
vive la difference!
and also;LIVE the Difference!
the proof of the Pudding is in the Eating...

nah, cheers, I'm all good

Faux Sloatman
September 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Why didn't Eris help tjhe young man?

_inabox_

:awilly: :awilly: :awilly: :awilly: :awilly:

coaxialkettle
September 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM
but Siriusly,acc. to litt."Erisian Liberation Front"/"Legion of Dynamic Discord"...
note also the historical significant differences in Approach between the
Contemplative and the Meritorious "Orders" operating hidden hand in hand hidden
throughout the Mystery Schools Histories...
the rest is "secret"

Shanti
September 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Vin, that's sounds so Taoist in bases, the air part and the way the master acted.

Vincent Verthaine
September 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Why didn't Eris help tjhe young man?

_inabox_

:awilly: :awilly: :awilly: :awilly: :awilly:

Who's to say SHE didn't?

Shanti
September 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I feel the young man received the best help. He learned something he couldn't of learned so quickly and to the point. Experience, the unexpected, extreme point, sure will open eyes sometimes!

Vincent Verthaine
September 19th, 2006, 03:26 PM
What is the difference between a discordian and an Erisian?

Five tons of flax.
or
Discordians tend to focus on the active political side of Chaos,and Erisians tend to be a bit more focused on the spiritual side of Chaos.
Plus you can be a discordian,and not even believe in Eris.
Erisians tend to believe that Eris is The Head Boss Bitch In Charge of The Multiverse,and try to understand Her better.Some of us even Love her.

These are not concrete definitions or catagories,mind you.

eldora_avalon
September 23rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
One believes it is a religion disguised as a joke disguised as a religion.

The other believe it is a joke disguised as a religion disguised as a joke.

So, Erisians believe this joke is a religion, Discordians believe this religion is a joke. Each believes the opposite a little, except when they don't.

Let's also keep in mind that we argue about this a lot amongst ourselves and have never really got a good definition that we can all agree with. People like me who focus on Chaos Theory fit in either group or neither group, depending on the debate.

Labels are ignored when any one of us is attacked, Discordian, Erisian, Subgenii, Taco, or any other underdog nutjob, because we all gather together under the Discordian banner. We stick apart, but not always too far apart. We have been a more cohesive group here at MW than we have at many other times.

coaxialkettle
September 25th, 2006, 06:19 AM
1st poop:Is Eris "true"?
2nd P.;,,"{[these days]}*even false things are "true".
1st P.;,,:How can that Be?
"nd P.:,,,I don't know man,I didn't do it.
R.A.Wilson
*adored oar added,kttl.