PDA

View Full Version : Excuse my ignorance...

Astreon
March 3rd, 2002, 08:58 PM
But whats the Difference between a "Vegan" and a "Vegitarian" ?? can someone fill me in?

Mnemosyne
March 4th, 2002, 12:22 AM
I believe that vegetarians do not eat meat products while vegans do not use any products from animals, meat or dairy.

Astreon
March 4th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Ah, thank you, thank you, i was reading another post and got nicely confused :)

Nect
March 5th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Mnemosyne's right...vegans do not consume meat, dairy, eggs and anything that derives from animals - jelly (made from gelatin, but agar agar is vegan), bleached sugar (vegans consume raw sugar, which is off-white in color), honey, to name just a few. Vegans try their best not to use or wear animal-derived products ranging from soaps made from animal glycerin (there is the vegetable alternative that is vegan), perfume that contains castor or musk to leather, wool, fur, and down. These are only a few examples...

Hope that helped!

Nect

Angel's Dreams
March 15th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Vegan is a total way of life. It's not only about not eating animal or animal products or wearing animal, it is about promoting an extremly nature based life. A lot of vegans fight against corporate consumerism as well as enviromental issues. I know that I am definately a vegan/activist. We buy local organics, or better identified as "authentic", vegetables, buy our clothes at second hand stores, refuse to wear any brand name labels etc...
It isn't for everyone, but I think if people try it they definately gain a new perspective on life.

Soya Cruncher,
Angel

Mnemosyne
March 15th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Do you find it difficult to be a vegan? I could be a vegetarian, but I don't think that I could be a vegan. For example, wouldn't it be hard to go out to a restuarant or a friend's party where food is served. So many foods are made with animal products. Have you found that you are healthier after turning to veganism, Angel? I do respect you for your beliefs though.

Angel's Dreams
March 22nd, 2002, 12:03 AM
I do find that I feel a lot healthier. If anyone is thinking of becoming either vegetarian or vegan, I highly recommend going to see a nutritionist/dietitian to see what you will be missing and for more information on supplimentation of protein etc.
I do find if difficult to eat with my friends sometimes, like when they go out for Mc Donalds, because I don't do the fast food thing either...too much grease and garbage. My friends are really good about my crazy eating habits and a lot of times we will eat at a food court or some place like that were I can eat my "brown bagged" lunch while they still get their fast food fix. And as far a the cravings for foods with animal products in them... I don't get too many, amazingly. Every once and a while I get a craving for one of my mom's awsome cookies or something so I go get something really sweet like dried apricots and that curbs the craving.
Somewhere with my head in the clouds.......
Angel