PDA

View Full Version : EVPs

Liguana
October 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
What do you folks think of EVPs (electronic voice phenomenon)? I got caught up in some ghost finder sites one day while surfing. Most of the EVPs sounded like nothing but static. It's the ones that seemed to respond to what was being said and done that were interesting. I know our brains are designed to extrapolate complete information when given only fragments. I also know people will frequently hear what they are expecting to hear when recording in a supposed haunted area. Some of the voices were pretty clear though. Any experience with this stuff?

Fechin Taliba Rune
October 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't get mixed up in that stuff, personally. I mean, if you're just recording and something happens, that's one thing, but messed up things happen when you actually try to draw stuff out through that.

Theory shows EVP to be caused by the energy given off by what one might call the soul. Though no one can actually prove this, there's plenty of evidence that suggests this to be accurate. Anyways, that energy can take an electric form so that communication can occur through the electric devise.

Personally, I think the main reason a lot of what people hear is what they expect to hear is because they're concentrating so much on the possibility that they subconsciously reach out with a bit of their own energy and distort the recording. That only accounts for part of them, however. I believe a great deal of the clearer voices you mentioned are, in fact, exactly what they are often believed to be. Sometimes they come across on their own, but I think it's a bad idea to actively provoke this type of phenomena.

Basic rule of thumb: If you can't control it, by the Goddess, don't tick it off.

covenofkeys
October 12th, 2006, 03:50 PM
i work alot with the paranormal-EVP included. jobwise its rewarding, mentally its draining...lol

Fechin Taliba Rune
October 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I wish I could work more with the paranormal, but I'm not sure I'd ever mess around with EVP. That's the one thing left on this planet that still has the power to creep me out.

covenofkeys
October 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM
well thankfully i know what i know, so i can deal with this type of phenomena.
its really not that scary-to me at any rate.dont get me wrong, the first time was scary, but my curiosity overrid the fear. long studying, long hours,hard work and research...im still here

Fechin Taliba Rune
October 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
How long have you been working with that stuff? How'd you manage to get used to it?

covenofkeys
October 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
too long, and you do get used to it like anything, i suppoes-the novelty wears off after a while!! lol

Fechin Taliba Rune
October 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I'm jealous. I'd like nothing more than to spend the rest of my life investigationg the paranormal. And writing about it, of course.

covenofkeys
October 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM
well its not all rosey thats for sure. -and i do write about it. lol

Fechin Taliba Rune
October 13th, 2006, 04:22 PM
*sigh* I'm just one of those morons who will never be truly happy until I've immersed myself in the unexplainable and have my life constantly on the line for no real good reason. It's a mixture of the mystery and the adrenaline rush, I think. I want to face the more dangerous side of the things that go bump in the night, even though a lot of it freaks me out.

covenofkeys
October 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM
mmm.-well what do you want to know exactly??

Fechin Taliba Rune
October 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Honestly? Everything. I want to know everything.

But mostly, right now anyways, I just want to know how to get myself into situations where I'm more likely to have run-ins with the supernatural side of life. I wish there was somebody who lived near me who would get involved with me, but alas, everyone else seems to have far more common sense than I do.

What I really want to figure out is how to build a stronger connection with the paranormal side. It seems that, for people who do get involved, the more they manage to connect with the paranormal, the more the paranormal wants to connect with them.

covenofkeys
October 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
do you have IM{Instant messenger} it would certainly be a lot easier to answer what i can there.

Fechin Taliba Rune
October 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
No, I don't. I've got the private messages system in here and a yahoo e-mail, but I can't download IM onto the computer because it belongs to the school.

covenofkeys
October 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
:bangyourh oh poop. okay......briefly...do you believe that you have any E.S.P?
if so, please state-if you would rather do this in pm, i have no objection.

>>for those who dont know, E.S.P is this; extra sensory perception.
this means you are more sensitive than most, by way of feelings,second sight-things like that.
it is said that you may be born with this gift/curse, or that you may acquire it through some sort of trauma means-for example near death experiences, so forth.

Janus109
November 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM
You can hear some spooky EVP's here..

http://ghostpix.com/gis/E.V.P.html

_inabox_

covenofkeys
November 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
thankyou so much for this link, was interesting, to say the least.

The Panther's Dream
November 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I've always been fascinated with the paranormal. Despite the fact that it freaks me out sometimes, my curiousity gets the best of me. I continue to read about it and watch television shows about it, which usually scare me even more! Curiousity is funny like that. I'd love to be more directly involved with it but I'm a big chicken. :lol:

Mainedruid
November 5th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I love the paranormal. I wish I had the funds and time to do more. My kids pretty much keep me at home. I have a couple programs for filtering and disecting EVPs and some video/pic programs as well. I just wish I could get out there.

TAPS/Ghost hunters on sci fi is a great show. I really like how it is set up. That group was around for a long time before the show as well, so I have a lot of respect for them.

The Panther's Dream
November 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I love the paranormal. I wish I had the funds and time to do more. My kids pretty much keep me at home. I have a couple programs for filtering and disecting EVPs and some video/pic programs as well. I just wish I could get out there.

TAPS/Ghost hunters on sci fi is a great show. I really like how it is set up. That group was around for a long time before the show as well, so I have a lot of respect for them.

I really enjoy that show as well. I wish they spent a little more time at the locations, but other than that I think they do a great job.

Elistariel
February 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Well I've dug up an old thread, but it's relevant.
I tried to record my first EVP last night. With my nikon coolpix no less. Hey it's all I had. I probably didn't get didiily squat.
I whispered a few questions. I didn't say them out loud since I was at my grandparents' and I didn't want to wake them up and have them wondering what in heck I was doing. :lol:

I'm not worried about getting or not getting voices.

What I want to know is, how do you get past feeling like a total dork when you're essentially talking to thin air?

I'd like to try it again sometime with my handheld tape recorder (analog unfortunately), and let it run as long as possible.

Oh and no one has ever died in my grandparents' house. They built it. All I know is that the land used to be a saw mill.

I have yet to review the whopping 6 minutes and 44 seconds. I'm gonna wait till my roomie gets home. Cause we're dorks like that.

I'll let you all know if I actually got anything. (doubting it.)