PDA

View Full Version : Goat Mascots?

Carla O'Harris
October 8th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I'm surprised no pagans have played with this one ...

Look at this : goat mascots of regiments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23rd_Regiment_of_Foot

The Royal Welch Fusiliers was a regiment of the British Army, part of the Prince of Wales' Division. It was founded in 1689 to oppose James II and the imminent war with France....It is one of the oldest regiments in the regular army, hence the archaic spelling of the word Welch instead of Welsh....As with the Royal Regiment of Wales, the regiment has traditionally had a goat mascot. The tradition dates from at least 1775, and possibly from the regiment's formation. The goat is given full honours of an officer by all ranks and attended to by the Goat Major.

A regiment existing since the late 17th century, with a goat as its mascot ... hmmmm .... Not to read too much into this, but it is interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Regiment_of_Wales

The Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot) was an infantry regiment of the British Army, part of the Prince of Wales' Division. It was formed in 1969 by the amalgamation of two other regiments:

* The South Wales Borderers
* The Welch Regiment

With the Royal Welch Fusiliers, the Royal Regiment of Wales was one of two British regiments to have a goat as its mascot. The regiment's goats were always named Taffy plus roman numeral to show the succession, and are traditionally selected from the royal herd kept at Whipsnade Zoo, Bucks, an outstation of the London Zoo. It's fitting that the two regiments with goat-mascots have now combined as one.

Margaret Murray would have had a field day with this.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/RoyalRegimentWalesGoat_gobeirne.jpg

http://www.royalwelshband.com/goat/goat.shtml

Shenkin (the Welsh pronunciation of 'Jenkins')is a goat from the Royal Herd at Windsor, and is the official mascot of the 3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh, and is looked after by Goat Major Sgt. David Joseph BEM.

Regiments of the British Army have always been prone to adopt members of the animal world as their mascots: bears, apes, dogs, geese, ponies and rams are just a few that have graced ceremonial parades. Three Regiments used to parade a goat - The Royal Welch Fusiliers, the Royal Regiment of Wales, and the Royal Welsh Regiment. However on 1st May 2006 these three Regiments merged to form ' The Royal Welsh', of which Shenkin is the mascot of the 3rd Battalion.

Wild goats were at one time quite common in Wales, particularly in the mid and northern counties of the Principality. The goat, particularly the billy is hardy, stubborn, and when confronted, aggressive, and can live off the land in the most inhospitable climates - character traits that were, and still are, desirable in a soldier.

The origins of the Regimental Goat reach back to the Crimean War of 1854/56 where one of the Irish soldiers acquired a small goat kid with which he intended to supplement his meagre ration. He was on sentry duty at the time and tucked the live kid under his greatcoat.

During the night, he fell asleep, to be suddenly awakened by the agitated bleating of the animal. As he came to, he espied a Russian patrol advancing and was able to warn the forward picket who drove off the enemy.

The goat mascot was present during a review at Aldershot in 1856 by Her Majesty, Queen Victoria of regiments that had returned from the Crimea. On that occasion the Queen promised the 41st (The Welch Regiment) that upon his death, the goat would be replaced by one from the Royal Herd in Great Windsor Park. That custom has since perpetuated.

Within the 1st Battalion of the Regiment, the Goat was officially listed as Private Gwylim Jenkins. The soldier appointed as his keeper and trainer is known as the Goat Major.

The Goat often accompanied the Battalions on active service and were, when applicable awarded the appropriate service or campaign medals.

The last Goat of the Welsh Regiment to go on active service was that of the 1 Welch which accompanied the battalion to Korea in 1951.

It's usual these days to take such stories at face value (heaven forbid we read anything pagan into such things ; Lady Godiva is Lady Godiva, gddamnit, not some remnant of Freya!!), but it still might be interesting to look at this with the eyes of the older Pagan Survival School ... which would see the above story as a rationalization of something more significant ...

Look how royally this goat is being treated :

http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/blowup1/24479

It's a good thing this isn't Inquisition times!! The clear adoration of this goat might draw attention!

Silverfire Darkmoon
October 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM
All I can say is....wow, that looks like one uncomfortable goat.
This just gave me a crazy idea. You know how a lot of sports teams and things have an animal mascot. Couldn't that be viewed as some sort of modern totemism thing?

Incidentally, I may be wrong here, but doesn't Murray talk about a black goat? I mean, obviously these people could use a black goat, they have a white one for the picture.....um, yeah. I know what I'm talking about.

Carla O'Harris
October 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I just thought it was interesting, and could be fun to be a little playful about this. But who knows? Behind some playful things there could be some interesting realities as well, if we have an open mind.

BenSt
October 8th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Atleast it wasnt a sheep...now that would be a cliche of good old Cymru hehe.

Thunder
October 8th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I particularly like the custom silver horn tips. Quite the Dashing Ram about towne.