PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about self-dedication to a particular deity?

Fiamma
October 13th, 2006, 11:56 AM
This question is mostly for Hellenic folks, but i'm interested in hearing anyone's thoughts..

...what do you think about dedicating oneself to a particular god or goddess?

This is something I've been pondering for about 7 years now. And feeling a bit of a prodding for nearly as long, and a much more direct prodding since earlier this past spring.

what you have to say probably won't have much effect on what I do or believe myself, but i'm still curious. Like I said, I've been pondering this for years, so this isn't me just jumping up and saying "I just discovered the gods and I'm going to dedicate myself to aphrodite because she's the love goddess and I want lots of love in my life" or anything like that., I know that it's a pretty hefty thing to be thinking about.

ModernKnight
October 13th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think if you feel called to do so, then do so. There's a lot of potential benefit in serving a god, but there's no reason to make a commitment like that before you're ready.

skilly-nilly
October 13th, 2006, 12:27 PM
This question is mostly for Hellenic folks, but i'm interested in hearing anyone's thoughts..

...what do you think about dedicating oneself to a particular god or goddess?

It's like falling off a cliff---the first step is hard, but then you're flying.

One hopes to find that one is hang-gliding rather than about to go *splat* but the verdict's still out on that.

Initially, I wasn't going to read this post; I read "self-dedication" as meaning "I am picking" which is just silly. Thankfully, your post makes that clear....."dedicating oneself" is (imo) the opposite action. You are all you really have to give in the end.

On the one hand, I don't think that the request from a Deity can really be wholly refused. The attention that the Deity gives you changes your life. You can be a willing participant or walk into it backwards, refusing to look but you will be affected. Even if the communication is refused and the Deity fades away, you will still be changed.

On the other hand, no one (even no One) can make you go faster than you choose to. I am the dedicant of an Irish Goddess Who by communication with me wishes to communicate with others. She gives me messages and projects and sends me places to do things and, although I can always choose to not speak and to not go, what She enacts always works.

On the gripping hand, it's not really all or nothing. You can dedicate a particular endeavor or skill and leave the rest of your self largely untouched. Or you can dedicate a set period of time and then re-surface to access after that's done.

Like a cartoon character, you can inch your way off the cliff until the moment you look down and see that there's nothing underneath you holding you up. Then you're flying.

Aleannah
October 13th, 2006, 01:01 PM
I was going to tell you to take some time and consider this because working with a particular god(dess) and dedicating yourself to them can be a tricky thing. They tend to get a little possessive at times. :lol: Anyway, I see that you have been carefully considering this, and if you feel a pull, then go ahead and dip a toe in the water and see how it goes. If your deity is paying attention (and they do), they already understand your hesitance and will work with you as much as you will allow. Maybe just sit down and tell them that you would like to include them, but you want to take it nice and slow so you don't get overwhelmed. Most deities will go with this - unless, of course, you're dedicating yourself to Loki. :lol:

Fiamma
October 13th, 2006, 01:39 PM
It's like falling off a cliff---the first step is hard, but then you're flying.

One hopes to find that one is hang-gliding rather than about to go *splat* but the verdict's still out on that.

Initially, I wasn't going to read this post; I read "self-dedication" as meaning "I am picking" which is just silly. Thankfully, your post makes that clear....."dedicating oneself" is (imo) the opposite action. You are all you really have to give in the end.

On the one hand, I don't think that the request from a Deity can really be wholly refused. The attention that the Deity gives you changes your life. You can be a willing participant or walk into it backwards, refusing to look but you will be affected. Even if the communication is refused and the Deity fades away, you will still be changed.

On the other hand, no one (even no One) can make you go faster than you choose to. I am the dedicant of an Irish Goddess Who by communication with me wishes to communicate with others. She gives me messages and projects and sends me places to do things and, although I can always choose to not speak and to not go, what She enacts always works.

On the gripping hand, it's not really all or nothing. You can dedicate a particular endeavor or skill and leave the rest of your self largely untouched. Or you can dedicate a set period of time and then re-surface to access after that's done.

Like a cartoon character, you can inch your way off the cliff until the moment you look down and see that there's nothing underneath you holding you up. Then you're flying.

as for the wording of the title and self-dedication...I was trying to keep it short and easy to get what I was referring to just for the title and realized that it was pretty bad afterwards...oh well, i explained what I meant in the post :-P

I've thought about the idea of dediatig a set period of time, or specificactions..but that doesn't seem to be right here, it does feel like an all-or-nothng thing, and like it's going to happen, sooner or later it's somehting I need to do, and seven years of consideration is a long time.

Do you mind if I ask which goddess you're referring to? (I'm curious. That's all. I know several women who are dedicated, in varying degrees, to Brigid)

Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate it.

ModernKnight
October 13th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I was going to tell you to take some time and consider this because working with a particular god(dess) and dedicating yourself to them can be a tricky thing. They tend to get a little possessive at times. :lol:

It really varies. A friend of mine from college was dedicated to Hades and Persephonie, then they approached him about doing some work for the Egyptian dieties as well. Both sets of gods had apparently already worked out the details beforehand. :)

Fiamma
October 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think if you feel called to do so, then do so. There's a lot of potential benefit in serving a god, but there's no reason to make a commitment like that before you're ready.

thanks...I think I've been at this point for a little while now and have kinda brought myself to a point where I'm just dragging my feet out of silly human insecurity.

Fiamma
October 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I was going to tell you to take some time and consider this because working with a particular god(dess) and dedicating yourself to them can be a tricky thing. They tend to get a little possessive at times. :lol: Anyway, I see that you have been carefully considering this, and if you feel a pull, then go ahead and dip a toe in the water and see how it goes. If your deity is paying attention (and they do), they already understand your hesitance and will work with you as much as you will allow. Maybe just sit down and tell them that you would like to include them, but you want to take it nice and slow so you don't get overwhelmed. Most deities will go with this - unless, of course, you're dedicating yourself to Loki. :lol:

no...it's not Loki we're talking about, oh good grief no...hehehe. The god in question is Apollo and he's got his own unique ways of dragging one over the coals...
:fishsmack

Malcolm
October 13th, 2006, 04:08 PM
You don't really dedicate yourself to Loki. He just kind of shows up starts crashing on your couch and turns your life inside out...and then you thank him for it.

Avalanche
October 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
You don't really dedicate yourself to Loki. He just kind of shows up starts crashing on your couch and turns your life inside out...and then you thank him for it.

So true.