PDA

View Full Version : Was this paranormal?

StarEyedShelly
October 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Hey everyone! I had a sort of weird experience the other day, and was wondering if it was something weird or just me being paranoid.

I usually keep my computer in hibernation mode, or I'll have it turn off after an hour of inactivity to save power and all that. When it's in hibernation, you have to either move hte mouse or touch a key for it to resume itself. And it makes the litlte windows intro noise. So, a couple nights ago, at around 3am, I wake up to the "do do do do" of the windows intro noise. The thing is, I didn't touch anything on the keyboard or the mouse. I was asleep. And my roommate was upstairs. Did my computer turn itself on? Or was something...doing something....O_o I dunno. Am I just being paranoid about this? feel free to just tell me to just chill if need be.

covenofkeys
October 28th, 2006, 04:17 PM
this is my line of work:maybe i can help?
some questions to start....

question 1} do you have pets?
question 2}have you got wires which are dangling and accessible{as in easilly}
question 3} do you think it is paranormal?

>do not worry about others opinions on your answer to the last question.<
answer this honestly.

Shanti
October 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Did a big truck drive by and rattle the house, or was a washing machine on and in spin cycle? It sometimes doesn't take much vibration for that mouse to think its being moved by someone.

To me, paranormal is when you see the light switch being moved by no one and the lights, as a result, are being turned off and on....or the TV or radio or any other things that have switches/dials that require actual flipping, turning etc.

covenofkeys
October 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Did a big truck drive by and rattle the house, or was a washing machine on and in spin cycle? It sometimes doesn't take much vibration for that mouse to think its being moved by someone.

good point.

paranormal is anything which cannot be explained scientifically.basically.

Merrilyn
October 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Do you have an optical mouse? It has happened with mine.

Xander67
October 29th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Maybe you moved while you were in bed and this caused the mouse to move on the desk or wherever it was... (your bed is in the same room so the kenetic energy from you moving may have traveled from you through your bed, through your floor, and up to the table or desk which may have moved the mouse)
:whatgives

Fluoxetine
October 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM
The mouse wheels inside where the ball is are sensitive. The pull of gravity down as an exertion of force when coming to rest will cause one of the mouse internal wheels to activate. This can be one of the many ways your PC can restart. Another is the internal programs. Something like Auto update or spyware can restart your PC as it is only on a standby mode. Even though the power is off, current is still being drawn, the internal HDD (hard drive disks) are still in operation. It may be down to a program accessing due to time of day. If so, check your auto updates and change the times.

But hibernation uses a lot of memory. At least 512 MB of memory to be stored. You will see this in the power options and hibernate mode. Also starting hibernation mode messes up your registery on your PC. Use regedit from sysinternals.com to fix that, and spybot S&D from download.com to check for any spyware that may be on the PC. I had same problem a few years ago, but it was on an old machine. Now I just shut off.

Kailen
October 31st, 2006, 06:12 AM
Computers can also reboot hemselves due to errors. If the HD's are operational, then it is possible for such an error to occur, thus rebooting the computer.

Mouse
October 31st, 2006, 07:54 AM
A small power surge might do it too. The wireing here is quite old and occasionally a little surge will turn the power on and off again so fast that the computer doesn't stay off it automatically reboots. I'm not an electrition so I don't have an explanation for this, but it's happened to me a few times.

Kahlil the Heretic
November 5th, 2006, 11:40 PM
I think you're being paranoid. It is serious when a chair flies across the room, not when you're dealing with faulty, easily triggered mechanisms like that.

Cliona
December 2nd, 2006, 05:58 AM
This happened to me a couple months ago. My computer would just reboot in the middle of the night at odd hours, and then sometimes in the day. My hard drive was corrupted, nothing paranormal. Maybe that's what was happening with yours?