PDA

View Full Version : The Myth of Ogopogo

TheWomanMonster
November 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I lived for several years in the okanagan valley in BC.
The story of Ogopogo always fascinated me. It was a common local legend, camp tale and native lore. You really can't go anywhere in the valley without seeing the face of the Ogopogo, although the tourist friendly version of him definatly doesn't reflect the legend.

So in honour of the new Myths and Folklore section, I decided to share this tale. :)

From here, read the whole story (http://www.americanfolklore.net/folktales/bc1.html).

"His mind was full of dark thoughts and the demons spoke to him. His wild eyes and words frightened his people, and he became an outcast, shunned by all. One day in a fury of rage and pain, he attacked old Kan-He-Kan, a local wise man. The demon-possessed man killed the venerable sage on the shores of a beautiful lake near his home, and then ran away, afraid of what the people would do to him when they found out.

But the gods had seen the murder and were angry. They captured the demon-possessed man and transformed him into a terrible serpent as a punishment for the murder of the good Kan-He-Kan. Then the serpent was cast into the lake, condemned forever to remain at the scene of his crime."

Anyone have anyother ogopogo stories?
Anyone ever seen it? ;)

Maybe I'll tell you if I did later...

PeatBog
November 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I didn't get a look at Ogopogo while visiting the BC Okanagan this summer, beautiful place though, and great wine too.

TheWomanMonster
November 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I didn't get a look at Ogopogo while visiting the BC Okanagan this summer, beautiful place though, and great wine too.

It sure is, I'm heading back to see my Mum next month (hopefully). I plan on drinking a lot of wine. *laughs*

TheWomanMonster
November 5th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Some links with more Ogopogo information...
(I love this big sea-snakey)

TourCanada's Ogopogo page (http://www.tourcanada.com/ogopogo.htm)
Wikipedia's entry on Ogopogo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogopogo)

I did a lot of boating and swimming in that lake, and I have to say everytime we ever went near to Rattle Snake Island (I've been on it, it's aptly named! eek!) and Squally Point there were sudden storms... Which is a large part of the native lore surrounding Ogopogo (also known as N'ha-a-itk).

Phoenyxfyre
March 10th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I read a book once on lake monsters. Nessy was the primary story. But Ogopogo was in it as well. Until now I never could find mre on it. Thanx. I believe these creatures truely exist.

TheWomanMonster
March 10th, 2007, 04:10 AM
I read a book once on lake monsters. Nessy was the primary story. But Ogopogo was in it as well. Until now I never could find mre on it. Thanx. I believe these creatures truely exist.

British Columbia has a fair number actually, there's one in the Victoria and Sannich area too, in the ocean. Cadborabayasaurus? I think it is?

Lots of myths and legends surrounding not only the beasts, but their origins.

neat stuff isn't it. :)

Phoenyxfyre
March 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
*grins* it is, i spent hours checking all the links out in wikipedia and still didn't get to them all :awilly: