PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Devil

Nitefalle
November 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
So....I'm sure that everyone from the tri-state area knows the legend of the Jersey Devil. I, myself, am not a Jersey native and only know that he allegedly lives down in the Pine Barrens. A friend of mine *may* have had an encounter with him many years ago, but it's all very ambiguous. SO.....any one else got any stories?? Encounters?? Tall tales from your very own experience? I am intrigued.

TheWomanMonster
November 6th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Wikipedia's Jersey Devil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil)
In case anyone hasn't heard of it.

I've never experienced it, but I have heard stories.

It's a strange tale, in almost all of them this creature was once human...

Agaliha
November 6th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I saw the X-Files episode about it :lol:
I've never been to the East Coast so no personal stories to tell. I am curious though...

I did find some of these sites:

Jersey Devil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geur9Xtk5FK0oB0RdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3a2E2bDFvBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMwRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANCMTAwX zExNQ--/SIG=11tt1drjf/EXP=1162872791/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil) (descriptions, encounters and stuff)
Jersey Devil, The (http://theshadowlands.net/jd.htm)
Jersey Devil Main Listing (http://www.members.global2000.net/~starwiz/jersey_devil/) (a few blurry pics) :2G:
Leut's Jersey Devil Page (http://home.adelphia.net/~leuter/) (tons of theories and stuff)The Legend from Wikipedia:

According to one version of the tale, the Jersey Devil was the thirteenth child born to a Mother Leeds, a resident of the Pine Barrens in 1735. Mother Leeds was so upset at yet another pregnancy that after giving birth she exclaimed, "I am tired of children! Let the devil take this one!" What was once a human child immediately transformed into winged monstrosity; he ate all the other children and flew out through the chimney. There are many versions of this legend, differing in date of the birth and the degree of the Devil's disfigurement. In some stories, the Devil is merely a human child which Mother Leeds confined to her cellar or attic, only to have it escape into the woods (see feral children for more on similar legends and real life examples). A fork on this theory may explain how the legend ties in with an actual monster; some people believe that around the time that the hidden deformed child was discovered people began sightings of a beast and put the stories together. There are other tales that suggest Leeds herself was a witch or that she was cursed by locals for having an affair with a British soldier. The Shrouds House, a log cabin within the Pine Barrens, was reputed to be the birthplace of the Devil. Only ruins of the foundation of the house and a few other parts still exist today.
The Jersey Devil has been said to be companion to a headless pirate, a ghostly woman, and a werewolf. In certain parts of South Jersey, the Devil is rumored to live in an apocryphal Agent Orange plant near Chatsworth, a very small town surrounded by forest and sand.
There is another description of the New Jersey devil that is well-known to local people in South Jersey. A woman in South Jersey was having her first baby and she wanted him to be perfect. When the baby was born, it was the most ugly looking baby that anyone had ever seen at that time. The mother was so upset that she said "This isn't my son. This is the devil's son. May God give the thing back to him!" After saying this, she threw her son into the river. The son died. Now that river is said to be haunted by the devil. Many people have died there. It is said that there is an unknown source which sucks air to it from under a rock. When people swim near there, they are sucked under the rock; they are then held there until they die. Once they are dead, the body is let go so that it floats to the top for everyone to see.[citation needed]
Native American legends told of the devil as a friendly being that protected the Pines. Sightings of the devil were believed to be signs of good fortune. This view was widely accepted by locals from the late 1700s until 1909.

TheWomanMonster
November 6th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Nice links,
I like the theory from Leut's page there that says it might be a dragon...

Could be a lot of things... _inabox_

Agaliha
November 6th, 2006, 12:27 AM
On the X-Files episode it turned out to be a feral kid.
I know that's a possible theory.

I wonder if it's spread past NJ.

From Wiki:

While the descriptions vary, several factors remain fairly constant. It is commonly described as having a long neck, with wings and hooves. It is often said to have a horse-like head and a tail. The height of the creature varies among sightings from about three feet to more than seven feet. Most sightings also report that the creature has glowing bright red eyes and emits a high, human-like scream.

Sounds bizzare!

_Banbha_
November 6th, 2006, 01:47 AM
I actually read this novel:

Brigid's Charge

The author, Cynthia Lamb, claims to have traced her own family line -- and the Jersey Devil's mother -- to Deborah Leeds, who comes to Colonial New Jersey to escape persecution and assure continuation of a maternal line devoted to the Celtic goddess Brigid. Lamb crafts the novel from her own family history, wiccan ritual, Quaker philosophy, and the legend of the Jersey Devil.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0965469417/qid=1086445823

It was a bit more a fantasy then family history. I liked it for what it was; and have friends who loved it. It was certainly interesting at times. :)

Agaliha
November 6th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Sounds interesting, I'll see if the library has it for future check out :reading:

Nitefalle
November 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM
On the X-Files episode it turned out to be a feral kid.
I know that's a possible theory.
I wonder if it's spread past NJ.

From Wiki:

Sounds bizzare!

This is regarding your previous quote, describing the creature as having glowing red eyes, wings, a long neck and emitting a high pitched, human like scream. You know what that reminds me of??? The Mothman! I was just watching a show called SciFi Investigates, and they went out trying to see if the Mothman was real, and this description matches almost to a tee. Any thoughts on these similarities?
This also puts me in mind of El Chupacabra. Could it be one creature that just travels quickly?

lightdragon
November 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM
could be some form of primitive bird. Surviving pterodactyl descendants. These creatures were discovered to have fur or something equal to it. So this form of pterodactyl might have changed in the last few millions of years. there were certain fish thought to be long extinct that were discovered in the Congo in the early 20th century. The gorilla was thought to be myth until discovered a little over a century ago as does the red hairy man of the forest aka the orangutan. the glowing red eyes are the retinas reflecting light. many animals have it. Alligators and canines are an example of this. Also many reports indicate that it is easily frightened with a person screaming at them or with a broomstick