PDA

View Full Version : What is the Supernatural?

TheWomanMonster
November 7th, 2006, 09:04 PM
The supernatural is described as being something which is unexplainable by science. Something beyond what we know as being scientifically possible.

From Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural)

The supernatural (Latin: super- "exceeding" + nature) refers to forces and phenomena which are not observable in nature, and therefore beyond verifiable measurement. If a phenomenon can be demonstrated, it can no longer be considered supernatural. Because phenomena must be subject to verifiable measurement and peer review to contribute to scientific theories, science cannot approach the supernatural; see scientific method.

Anyone have thoughts?

covenofkeys
November 7th, 2006, 09:12 PM
hmmm, yep i really should have resisted anything more to do with work tonight, but hecki had to do one thing more involving work-! i cant im glued to this blooming forum.~sighs~

oh well here goes.....read as much of it as my eyes could take, and my comment is '' a very good thread '' im going to look properly another time, but thanks for the link.x

plumedsnake
November 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM
There's been a massive thread on this on some other section. My main points that I felt that everybody else seemed to be missing is that nature refers to a process, not to substance. If nature was just the substance that the world was made of then everything is natural and there is no supernature. But if Nature refers to a process, eg, shovel chilli con carne down your throat and out the other end comes faecal matter, then there is such a thing as unnatural or supernatural, eg. Shovel faeces down your mouth and out the other end comes Chilli con carne. This would be an unnatural process.

Simply defining supernatural as what science can't explain really doesn't make sense. That isn't supernatural, it is just an aspect of nature we don't yet understand.

TheWomanMonster
November 8th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Hmm that's an interesting way of looking at it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

_Banbha_
November 9th, 2006, 04:07 PM
There's been a massive thread on this on some other section. My main points that I felt that everybody else seemed to be missing is that nature refers to a process, not to substance. If nature was just the substance that the world was made of then everything is natural and there is no supernature. But if Nature refers to a process, eg, shovel chilli con carne down your throat and out the other end comes faecal matter, then there is such a thing as unnatural or supernatural, eg. Shovel faeces down your mouth and out the other end comes Chilli con carne. This would be an unnatural process.

Simply defining supernatural as what science can't explain really doesn't make sense. That isn't supernatural, it is just an aspect of nature we don't yet understand.

While your analogy has quieted my appetite for a snack, I do agree. But, there are many who would post here in Paranormal who would believe differently. For example: That there are things beyond science or that science just gets it wrong.

And, I guess, that aspect would always be open to debate. :)

TheWomanMonster
November 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Debate is welcome.
As is linking to old threads regarding this same topic.
I just thought it would be appropriate to get a 'members' definition of the supernatural for the new subforum. :)

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

covenofkeys
November 9th, 2006, 04:23 PM
supernatural: of or involving a power above the forces of nature.

paranormal: of things that cannot be scientifically explained.

parapsychology: study of mental perceptions that seem outside of normal abilities.