PDA

View Full Version : Comments welcome!!! (Please Read)

Akeyla
November 11th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I often go through this forum and see that many threads are viewed by at least 12 or more people and yet they don't have a single comment under the original poem or story posted.

I can see how this can be a small blow to a writers 'fragile' ego. If you liked it, please say so. If you liked it except for one part than let the writer know, if you didn't like it and can give your opinion in an objective and helpful critique then please do so.

Otherwise it looks like 14 people read my poem and they didn't comment so that means that they didn't like it. (hypothetically of course)

It doesn't take long to type a quick. Nice imagery, or I liked the rhythm or any little comment.

I think that as much as we post our works here to share we also do it because as writers the only validation we ever get is from our readers. And if those readers never told anyone that they loved a book well then writers would be a lot more depressed than they already are _inabox_ (just kidding)

So please comment on threads as much as you can.

I would also suggest that Authors of poems make one thread for all of your poems, updating it with new ones as you go. Otherwise if fifty members post all their poems in single threads in one day then half of those won't appear on the main page and lets face it how many of us go looking for them.

Title it like (My Collection of Poems) or something like that.

That way we as readers will also have some of your previous work to compare it too as well as see all of your writing in one spot.

Not to mention that it would make this forum a lot easier to navigate.

You can also then post a link in your signature to your thread of poems. That way even people who don't often come in here may see it through other Forums and come for a look.

Just some suggestions.

Please make comments whether you agree or not, think it's a good idea or not or anything you can think to add. Ask questions about how to do it if you need to or anything else.

Thanks Guys and Gals.:cheers:

Agaliha
November 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM
I used to be a mod on a poetry board (for various categories there) so I know all about commenting. I used to do it all the time. ::sigh::
I could do some poems here and there. I'm a poet myself so I know about things. I don't post anything of mine here for fear of theft though. Happened before :2G:

Also a suggestion, on the poetry board there was a rule that for every poem you submit online you had to review three others to keep their flowing. It worked. Perhaps it could be used here?

I would also suggest that Authors of poems make one thread for all of your poems, updating it with new ones as you go. Otherwise if fifty members post all their poems in single threads in one day then half of those won't appear on the main page and lets face it how many of us go looking for them.
Title it like (My Collection of Poems) or something like that.

I think you should be more vocal about this. On page two there are many seperate posts for one person and it's taking up a good portion of the page. Having it all in one makes it easier to navigate the forum.
The poetry forum I was at did this too. They had a seperate area for "The Poet Files" It was my idea actually...but they never credited me. Not that I care. I haven't been there in a long time. Heh.

Ceres
November 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM
If you are writing poetry for feedback, it wont be as good as if you write your heart. Writers arent allowed fragile egos.

SilverClaw
November 21st, 2006, 04:32 AM
Well even if there are 0 comments some people do use karma pokes to give thier opinion as well.

And as for the writing poems all in one thread the pros and cons of that have already been discussed. I say it is up to each person as to what they want to do. I for one did not like having it all my work in one thread it, especially when it came to making changes and responding to comments.

Agaliha
November 21st, 2006, 04:55 AM
Well the poetry forum I was on had the poems posted in their categories (sadness, romance, inspiritation, etc) and a seperate sub-forum for the "poet files" where people would put links or summaries to the poems in the main areas. I don't think that's possible here unless the Admins feel the need for subforum categories (romance, darkness, nature, sadness, etc).

Akeyla
November 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM
Well the poetry forum I was on had the poems posted in their categories (sadness, romance, inspiritation, etc) and a seperate sub-forum for the "poet files" where people would put links or summaries to the poems in the main areas. I don't think that's possible here unless the Admins feel the need for subforum categories (romance, darkness, nature, sadness, etc).

I don't think that will happen, with the sub forums.

I am with Hymnia though. I wrote it as a suggestion as I find it easier to navigate if all one authors poems are in one spot. But there are people who like to post single poems and we're not going to tell them to stop. To each his own.

For me personally I find it easier to post all in one thread and then have a link on my sigs back to that thread. A person could have a few threads to their names for different kinds of poems if they wanted. I've also noticed that some people come in, post eight poems and drop everyone elses poems onto the next page, and then they never get read. I'm not limiting anyone on the amount that they could post but perhaps in those situations it would be better to post them all in one, titled 'My poems of the day' or something like that.

As for the comments, Yes I know some people get/give karma pokes for poems that they like or even PM's, I just wanted to make sure that we were making an effort to let people know that we appreciate them sharing their writing with us.

Keep in mind that these are nothing but suggestions, always open for discussion and feedback, to make this forum easier for everyone to use and a productive and supportive place too.