PDA

View Full Version : Elementalism and Magicians

WarriorZhanna
November 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I'm confused about something. Recently, I've been interested in Elementalism. All I know about it is that elementalists just work with the 4 elements, spirits and energies, no Gods. But I feel a deep connection to some Gods: Isis, Zeus and Ra, and so far I've considered myself a Kemetic-influenced (since I call Isis my mother-Godess, I'm obsessed with Egypt, and sometimes I use Egyptian spells) mage with a few Shamanic leanings (I use shamanic tecniques in healing).. (Yes, I know, it sounds so mixed up).. *sigh* lol. The thing is.. I'm a bloodwitch because I'm my great grandmother's sucessor, but I don't consider myself a witch really, even though I'm her successor and all that.
But anyways, let's get to the point. I was wondering.. are mages/magicians and elementalists basically the same thing? Since both work with magick and energies.. I haven't heard that any of these two worship Gods. Or maybe, I haven't researched enough?
Also, I've heard that a magician's path is called "Ceremonial Magick", is that true? If not, then what is the path called? For example.. a Wiccan's path is called Wicca, etc etc.. so what about mages?
And, what is the difference between an elementalist and a mage? Then.. if I'm not wrong, there are also different types of mages.. like light-based mages, fire-based, etc etc.. ?

I hope these questions didn't sound too dumb though.. lol. These are like the only things I've been confused about, the rest is clear though. :hahugh:

Blessings and Light,
~Suzana

Humming Bird
October 23rd, 2015, 03:03 AM
Not all elemental systems have eight elements, some such as certain Eastern ones have 8, for example.
With the four you also have your elemental grades in each, wherein the four are reflected in each of the four:
Fire of Earth, Air of Earth, etc.
The Zodiac is actually an elemental system with a triad modality of cardinal, fixed and mutable.
For example, Pisces is mutable water, Cancer is cardinal water and Scorpio is fixed water.
The planets while they aren't elements per se, are a celestial equivalent to the base elements.

Elementsl, magic(k) then can be very broad indeed, and everything has relation to it.

As for gods, sometimes they do work with gods if those gods have a strong affinity for a particular element.
Then again, you may be discovering there is more than elementalism to your praxis.

What exactly is it you inherited from her that influences your own path?
Did she leave you any kind of understanding of how these things are related-
and are you trying to make them harmonious under the term witch because of her influence?

In a very basic sense an elementalist and a mage tend to be the same thing but this is not always a case.
Elementalist is a term used to describe someone who works with the elements, how they work with them varies.
They may simply try to be around, get a feel for and learn the virtues of these elements.
A magician does this, however an elementalist may or may not practice magick, though most I would say do on some level.
A magician may not work within an elemental heavy paradigm but good luck finding a system that does not have elemental or planetary correspondences.
Magical systems, ceremonial ones usually tend to operates on the mechanics of one or the other, often both.

Neither infers gods, yet neither path is anti-gods, and we are talking about umbrella terms that are very broad.

If we are looking at the cultural origins of the word magick we are looking at the cermeonial magick stying.
Traditionally and classically ceremonial magick does include god-names and calls thereof,
however while the writers of many of the classic sources would have been more apt to see these as very literal and specific beings with their own agendas,
Many ceremonial magicians, though hardly all, tend to see the names as formula.

Is a magicians path ceremonial magick? Depends on what you mean when you think of magician, technically witches that practice the arte magical are considered magicians.
Wiccans who follow trad-Wicca via Gardner are certainly magicians. However many witches do not draw upon the culture the word "magician" comes from and might not chose it for their preferred label. Practitioners who pull from the grimoires and traditions characterized by the styling thereof are much more likely to refer to themselves as a magician.
They also practice Ceremonial Magick.

Now technically, Ceremonial Magic(k) means exactly that, magick that is heavy on ceremony and ritual, and tends to be very specific in what it calls for.
However, it is also associated with the traditions of classical magick of this nature, which tend to draw heavily on Abrahamic and pre/proto-Abrahamic sources.

Not all magicians work those influences, some use ceremonial techniques but go off in another direction.
Examples inlude those who work based on the Necronomicon,
Crowley, who went even further with an Egyptian pantheon than the Golden Dawn, which still often incorporated YHVH, INRI etc.
Or even Gardner, who applied ceremonial techniques to witch-mythos.

Ceremonial magick isn't a specific set path so much as a category of many paths.
Same with a mage, there is no one term for a religion of mages.

Nope, it doesn't work like that. You many personal have an affinity with a specific element however the magician is to be elementally balanced, and able to work effectively with all four.