PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is History's Greatest Mystery.

Danustouch
March 18th, 2002, 06:38 PM
History is rife with unsolved mysteries and puzzles, which have left generation after generation trying to figure them out. Such mysteries as..

"Who Built Stonehenge, and why?".

"Did Jesus ever exist?".

"Was Robin Hood, a real man, or a Fabrication?".

"Did Atlantis Really exist? If so, why was it destroyed".

etc, etc, etc.

These are just a few of my favorite examples. But I'm sure that you can think of many, many more. What other historical mysteries can you think of?

And why do you think they have capitivated people for so long?

Earthcup
March 18th, 2002, 06:45 PM
The origin of life!

It's puzzled and fascinated people since, well, the origin of life!

There's at least a few thousand creation stories and at least as many scientific theories...

Melysande
March 18th, 2002, 06:49 PM
"Is there life after death?" is my No. 1 choice. But also on the list would be:

Who makes crop circles and why?

Have aliens been here?

Does the Loch Ness Monster exist?

Are yeti/abominable snowmen/bigfoot (feet?) real?

Was the Red Sea really parted the way some scientists believe it could have been?

Did the Hanging Gardens of Babylon exist?

Mythrel
March 21st, 2002, 04:11 AM
how were the pyramids really built

and

why are there pyramids in the western hemisphere as well as in Egypt

baffles me anyway...

Theres
March 21st, 2002, 04:54 AM
how about the Florida presidential election?

Danustouch
March 25th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Was the JFK assasination really a political conspiracy?

Danustouch
March 25th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Well...hopefully, these historical mystery threads, will give us some leads to go on for new threads. Well folks, you posted the mysteries which interested you.....so why not post new threads about them, and we can discuss each one individually. How bout it?

Nina
March 25th, 2002, 05:14 PM
... is where on earth is my life heading right now? Not that I'm not interested in discussing all the other mysteries... but I'm sooooo curious about what I'm supposed to be doing with my life!!!

;)

Mnemosyne
March 25th, 2002, 07:39 PM
lol. Join the club, Nina. I suppose that all these mysteries fascinate us, because we do not have solid evidence to support these theories. I think that we want some proof that these ideas are true, and because we don't have the answers, these mysteries perplex us.

Theres
April 12th, 2002, 05:31 PM
what REALLY happened to the Templars?

Earthcup
April 12th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Greenman
what REALLY happened to the Templars?

Yeah! And were they really connected to the Church of Amor heresy?

StarryDancer
April 16th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Who built the Sphinx, and when?

I think if we get the answer to that, we may get the answer to some of the other questions...

Theres
April 16th, 2002, 05:47 PM
i'm not sure who, but the new arguements about the when are very compelling.
and if the Sphinx is from thousands of years earlier than thought, alot of Egyptoloy will have to be re-written.

Garnet
April 16th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Was King Arthur real? If so, how much of the Arthurian legend was truth?
What happened to Jimmy Hoffa? Madeleine Murray O'Hair? Judge Crater?
Did Bruno Hauptmann really kidnap & kill the Lindburgh baby?
Were the Rosenbergs guilty?
Why do my employers think I'm tickled pink to be given lots more work with fewer resources & more equipment that isn't being repaired for the same money & worse insurance?
When my predatory house eats stuff, where does that stuff go? Where are my glasses?
Why is it that when I check my insurance provider's website to find out if my internist/clinic is still in their system, all I get is a notice to check my card to see if I have mental illness coverage?
Will my 47 year-old sister ever grow up & take responsibility for herself instead of mooching off our dad?
Why haven't I won the lottery yet? How much longer do I have to wait to win it? Will I win enough to quit?
Why do I meet so many toads disguised as princes?

Danustouch
April 16th, 2002, 10:30 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mnemosyne
April 17th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Garnet, you have so much on your mind. My brain is on overload after reading all your perplexing questions. If you ever solve these "mysteries of histories" such as how to win the lottery, stop siblings from mooching off of parents, finding love without kissing toads..etc, please pm me. ;)

p.s. I don't think that Ethel Roseberg was guilty.

Earthcup
April 17th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Did Bruno Hauptmann really kidnap & kill the Lindburgh baby?

A retired detective reviewed the case and said that all evidence pointed to Lindberg kidnapping the child and accidently killing him.

If I can find the original article I'll start up a new thread....

Garnet
April 17th, 2002, 10:06 AM
I hope you find that article. I'd like to see it.

Here's another that mystery that's perplexed me.
How often does the city empty the recycling bins? Is it on some kind of real schedule, or only when the city workers don't have anything else to do? Mine hasn't been emptied for 5 weeks & it's full, so I'm going have to start sneaking around in the dark to put old newspapers into the neighbors' bins. (Stay tuned in case I get caught & need bail money...lol)

Djiril
April 17th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Was there ever a time when nothing existed? What was it like to be around then?
Wait a minute...:2G:

Garnet
April 20th, 2002, 07:56 PM
What Happened to the Amber Room?
Frederick I of Prussia had the best jewelers & artisans in the Empire make him wall panels of engraved amber with precious metals & gems. They took years to crate, & Frederick died the yeat the panels were created. His son wasn't impressed by them & gave them away to Peter the Great of Russia. Peter didn't know what to do with the panels, but his daughter did. Elizabeth had them installed in the Catherine Palace & had other panels made of marble, jasper, onyx, etc. (The amber panels didn't take up enough space). The panels were lovingly cared for for over 200 years, until the begiining of WWII.
Hitler decided that the panels were German treasures & sent troops to find them. Although the panels had been disguised (they had been deemed to fragile to move to safety), they were found & sent to Konigsberg in East Prussia. They were never seen again.
They may be hidden in a forgotten bunker in Konigsberg. According to some reports, they were moved & may be in an abandoned Czech silver mine, or in a submarine that was sunk while taking the panels to safety. Others believe the panels were destroyed in a bombing raid: amber burns at a low temp.
The panels were lovely; even in the old b & w pics, it's easy to see their beauty. Treasure hunters are still searching for the panels (occasionally, other pieces from the Amber Room turn up here & there).
The Russian & German governments are working together to duplicate the panels in the Catherine Palace.