PDA

View Full Version : Wyrd and Rta

Dustypuppy
November 27th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I was reading a while ago that wyrd can be defined as the 'Law of the universe'that which orders and allows all processes to meet their proper and rightful ends, it struck me that in this way there is a link to the Hindu concept of Rta- an impersonal principle which orders and maintains the correct balance in the universe, thoughts?x

Wolfpoet
November 27th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I was reading a while ago that wyrd can be defined as the 'Law of the universe'that which orders and allows all processes to meet their proper and rightful ends, it struck me that in this way there is a link to the Hindu concept of Rta- an impersonal principle which orders and maintains the correct balance in the universe, thoughts?x

Many religions share universal concepts, the Nordic concepts of Wyrd and the Skein are not unique to Nordic culture and faith. Fate is a commonly held view in a great many religions from Hinduism to Christianity (God's plan).

People's greates flaw is falling into the "one true faith" trap and assuming nobody else has figured out some of the essential facets of their faith of choice.

Rick
November 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Well, maybe... except that's not exactly what Wyrd is. Wyrd has nothing to do with order (or chaos, for that matter), nor with bringing anything to it's "rightful ends". In the proverbial nutshell, Wyrd is the consequences (I hate that word, it always comes out soundin' so negative... why can't we just say results?) of your choices. Every decision leads to another & another, until a point is reached where nothing can be undone. The only choice then is to live with the outcome of your previous choices, and accept the rewards or punishments etc.