PDA

View Full Version : 9 virtues

Dustypuppy
November 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Which of the 9 virtues do you have to work hardest to meet?For me its perserverance i really need some magick glue to help me stick at things!x

Wolfpoet
November 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Hmm interesting question.

Courage:

Courage comes in many forms and is rarely found on the battlefield these days, the vast majority of us are not Soldiers and can not find battlefield courage.

I like to think I'm brave enough to stand by my convictions, however this is perhaps more to do with being stubborn than being brave. Facing outside events takes courage but to face internal foes is the hardest of all things to do. To face one's inner daemon's and flaws, to truly face up to our mistakes and have the courage to admit to them and to fix them.

To me this is the highest form of courage and the most dificult to achieve.

Truth:

Perhaps the hardest of all virtues, simple honesty. We ALL lie and often for the most innocent of reasons. Again the internal truths are the hardest and moist difficult to face, to be true to one's self and one's own beliefs in a world that mostly considers those beliefs to be nonesence.How many of us have denied our faith to others to escape public ridcule? How many of us try to blend in and avoid unwelcome attention from others?

This is just physical truth, how many of us face the moral and spiritual truth? Odin was a seeker of knowledge, he suffered greatly in his quest, a quest that never ends. Many people think they have found the "TRUTH" and stop searching, lecturing others on this truth and setting themselves up as fountains of infinite wisdom. They forget the essential message behind the legends of Odin and Loki, only a fool stops searching for truth.

Honour:

The most dangerous of virtues as Honour and pride go hand in hand. Honour is not to be confused with reputation, anyone can take your reputation but only you can lose your honour.

Honour is a dificult concept to understand, because it is so very easy to feel one's honour has been challenged when in fact it's just the jealous voice of pride telling you to fight. Honour and truth go hand in hand because to maintain one's honour, one must be true to one's self and one's own set of ethics and morality. If you can stand up and truly say that you have not sacrificed your beliefs to make life easier, that you have not betrayed your soul for common gain, then your Honour is never in doubt.

Fidelity:

Fidelity is keeping faith with our pantheon and with those who have gone before. We are not lone Wolves, we are a pack linked by blood and faith to generations who have long passed to dust.

In all that we do we must be wary that we do not do our past an injustice. We must rise above the misconceptions and mis-interpretations of our heritage and remain true to the legacy that we have inherited. In all that we do we must be able to say that our ancestors and our Gods would not disapprove.

Discipline:

Of all the virtues, this is the hardest for me.

I am too damn stubborn and too damn rash for my own good. I live and think with my heart even in situations where my mind would give better council. Self-discipline is vital to living a life that is true to our faith and ancestory. This takes many forms, from the ability to stay the course in the face of public ridicule to the ability to remain calm in times of heated debate and argument.

There is no task that can ever be completed without self-discipline, without the ability to be our own task-master and force ourselves to ignore distractions and finish what we start.

Hospitality:

This is one of the easiest for me to uphold, as it forms the very bedrock of my own culture and traditions (well it used to form the bedrock of English culture anyway).

Odin is known to travel from place to place in his search for knowldge, we never know if that stranger at the door is an avatar of the All-father. We are honour-bound to treat all others with respect, even in the face of their own disrespect. They may treat us badly but it is no excuse to respond in kind, we are all Brothers and Sisters even if some of the family are not the sort you would willingly invite to a friendly gather.

It has allot to do with honour as well, no person of honour would turn a stranger from their hall in the dark of winter. While in today's culture there is less risk of a stranger being frozen to depth in the snow if we turn them away, the principle remains the same.

Industriousness:

This goes back to the days of our ancestors when every day was a struggle against the elements and fate. Laziness and sloth can not be tolerated because it is not productive and if you are not productive you are a burden on the community. This is the same in our faith, it may seem harsh but if one is not industrious one is a burden to the Gods and our ancestors.

The only judge of our heart is ourselves, we must look deep inside our souls and ask if we are truly following this virtue or if we are merely a burden to our society, our faith and our people. We must take to every task with vigour and not rest untill that task is complete, no matter what cruelties fate my put in our way.

Self Reliance:

Perhaps one of the hardest of the virtues in today's society. It is easy to rely on others, our parents, our friends, the state. easy to be lazy and not rely on our own abilities but instead rely on what can be done for us. This is a fatal flaw in modern society.

We must strive to achieve what we want through our own actions, to EARN what we have instead of taking it as a hand-out. Because when all else fails we must, in the end, rely on ourselved for survival because sooner or later it will come down to you against fate. Believe me, fate will not hand you an easy pass, fate will make you fight for your victory and you will need to find that victory within your own heart and soul.

Perseverance:

My own flaw is to mistake the virtue of perservenace for sheer stubborness. our religion teaches us that fate is cruel and will always strive to make life dificult. It is through the challenge of fate that we gain strength, it is through adversity that we grow. we must have this virtue so that we can meet fate head on and take whatever we are given, to struggle on and never give up, never take the easiest path.

Odin did not have to suffer, he could of turned away from the path of knowledge. But he had the perseverance to suffer for his reward. We must all face our challenges with the same courage and ability to perservere against all odds or else we will forever take the easy path and never grow, never find knowledge, wisdom or honour in any of our actions.

Rick
November 27th, 2006, 09:37 PM
If ya boil it down, the only real virtue is to strive to live honorably, and we probably all have a little trouble with that one from time to time. I mean, c'mon, how many folks always come to a full & complete stop if no one else is in sight?

BTW, there are 30 "virtues" that can be gleaned directly from The Poetic Eddas...

The 30 Noble Virtues: What Is Praiseworthy?

1. Gifting is praiseworthy.
2. Generosity is praiseworthy.
3. Moderation is praiseworthy.
4. The maintaining of frith in all circumstances is praiseworthy.
5. Courage is praiseworthy.
6. The seeking of good over ill is praiseworthy.
7. Hospitality is praiseworthy.
8. Courtesy is praiseworthy.
9. Tolerance is praiseworthy.
10. The pursuit of wisdom and knowledge is praiseworthy.
11. The defense of freedom is praiseworthy.
12. Industriousness is praiseworthy.
13. Vigilance is praiseworthy.
14. The protection, nurturing and forbearing of kin is praiseworthy.
15. Showing respect for elders is praiseworthy.
16. Loyalty to friends and kin is praiseworthy.
17. Keeping an oath is praiseworthy.
18. Honoring the sanctity of marriage is praiseworthy.
19. Refraining from mockery is praiseworthy.
20. Refraining from arrogance is praiseworthy.
21. Making kin, honor and justice more important than gold is praiseworthy.
22. Cleanliness is praiseworthy.
23. The maintaining of one's dignity in all situations is praiseworthy.
24. Good organization is praiseworthy.
25. Persistence is praiseworthy.
26. The rule of law is praiseworthy.
27. To try ones steel against an opponent fairly is praiseworthy.
28. Respect for the dead is praiseworthy.
29. For a man to never strike a woman is praiseworthy.
30. To not abuse one's power is praiseworthy.

Mjollnir
November 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM
The NNV's are a purely modern adaptation and construct and to put it bluntly, EVERYONE, regardless of race/religion/creed/ or color should strive to live their lives in that manner. It isn't earth shattering or new news, yet the 30 P.V. that Rick posted from the Northvegr site are what heathens/asatruar should strive to be...in a modern context of course, this IS 2006 after all.

Oh and Rick? I am suprised as you are at my current status ..............................:viking: :viking:

If ya boil it down, the only real virtue is to strive to live honorably, and we probably all have a little trouble with that one from time to time. I mean, c'mon, how many folks always come to a full & complete stop if no one else is in sight?

BTW, there are 30 "virtues" that can be gleaned directly from The Poetic Eddas...

The 30 Noble Virtues: What Is Praiseworthy?

1. Gifting is praiseworthy.
2. Generosity is praiseworthy.
3. Moderation is praiseworthy.
4. The maintaining of frith in all circumstances is praiseworthy.
5. Courage is praiseworthy.
6. The seeking of good over ill is praiseworthy.
7. Hospitality is praiseworthy.
8. Courtesy is praiseworthy.
9. Tolerance is praiseworthy.
10. The pursuit of wisdom and knowledge is praiseworthy.
11. The defense of freedom is praiseworthy.
12. Industriousness is praiseworthy.
13. Vigilance is praiseworthy.
14. The protection, nurturing and forbearing of kin is praiseworthy.
15. Showing respect for elders is praiseworthy.
16. Loyalty to friends and kin is praiseworthy.
17. Keeping an oath is praiseworthy.
18. Honoring the sanctity of marriage is praiseworthy.
19. Refraining from mockery is praiseworthy.
20. Refraining from arrogance is praiseworthy.
21. Making kin, honor and justice more important than gold is praiseworthy.
22. Cleanliness is praiseworthy.
23. The maintaining of one's dignity in all situations is praiseworthy.
24. Good organization is praiseworthy.
25. Persistence is praiseworthy.
26. The rule of law is praiseworthy.
27. To try ones steel against an opponent fairly is praiseworthy.
28. Respect for the dead is praiseworthy.
29. For a man to never strike a woman is praiseworthy.
30. To not abuse one's power is praiseworthy.

Haerfest Leah
November 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Ooh ooh I wanna join in. :viking: <---K I'm here. I don't have anything to add tho, since it's already been well said.

As for the one that's hardest for me to meet, not sure I'll have to think about that one.