PDA

View Full Version : ATLANTIS the lost civilization.

jhon
November 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM
do you believe that atlantis ever exist?

(if you believe that it existed)how do you imagine it?

i think that atlants was there.i imagine it as avery beautiful city has alot of high technology stuff:spaceman: .

Zibblsnrt
November 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Considering the only historical reference to it is an obvious allegorical one-shot reference, I'm convinced it was either a fairly mundane city which got purplemonkeydishwashered into some mystical superpower over time, or (more likely) that it simply never existed.

omar
November 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
It was a rinkydink little island country that got so much power from its giant crystal that it blew its self up. The tale got bigger with every generation telling it. yup

PoisonIvy
November 28th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Well, Evidently it did exist cause I got a "past life" reading done and evidently I was there but left right before the "great flood" and went somewhere called Lemuria (wherever that is).8O

Protagonist
November 28th, 2006, 04:14 AM
"Atlantis" insofar as it is referenced historically (only once, in Plato) was probably a reference to the non-superpower island of Thera.

Agaliha
November 28th, 2006, 05:48 AM
I think it's possible that there is a lost civilization or small land mass.
The Earth changes, things sink and rise. That aspect I can believe.
Most all civilizations and culture had a flood story even culture that didn't cross paths (old and new world)...

I don't necessarly believe this lost civilization was "Atlantis" though. It seems nowdays the legend of Atlantis just keeps being built up more and more. And more. :2G:
Some even claim to be channeling aliens or who-knows-what from Atlantis or that it's on the Astral plane. I've even seen New Age like religions crop up with books about the wisdom and slavation found in Atlantis. And people attributing "Stargate: Atlantis" (the TV show) stuff on to it now...like the show is fact :wtf:

Not knocking these beliefs or anything, but it just seems farfetched from my view (and I do believe in aliens).
Like Zibblsnrt said, there was only one real reference to it.
And like Protagonist mentioned, Thera is another possiblity. More realistic too.

Here's Yahoo's Directory about it (http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Mythology_and_Folklore/Folklore/Legends/Lost_Continent_of_Atlantis/) --- 21 links. Those aren't the way out there ones though, these are fairly normal.

Agaliha
November 28th, 2006, 05:56 AM
FORUM GUIDE MODE
I'm going to move this thread to Myths & Folkore.

Yahoo categorizes Atlantis under Myths and Folklore:
Society and Culture > Mythology and Folklore > Folklore > Legends > Lost Continent of Atlantis

If this were focusing on Thera as Atlantis or Plato I might leave it in History, but the thread seems more focused on the legend of Atlantis...which deviates from history.

No offense intended to those who believe Atlantis is real, moving it doesn't negate that aspect.

dragoncrone
November 28th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Well, Evidently it did exist cause I got a "past life" reading done and evidently I was there but left right before the "great flood" and went somewhere called Lemuria (wherever that is).8O

Don't know where you are, but I'm out here in Northern Cal., and there is a sizeable contingent of folk who believe that Lemuria exists inside Mount Shasta... just fyi... :wave:

dragoncrone
November 28th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I go along with the island-destroyed-by-volcano theory, as a matter of fact I expanded upon that premise in one of the stories in my book.

PoisonIvy
November 29th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Don't know where you are, but I'm out here in Northern Cal., and there is a sizeable contingent of folk who believe that Lemuria exists inside Mount Shasta... just fyi... :wave:

COOL! I was wondering where that was,or if it really was a place.
I'm in Ohio of all places now.:lol:

dragoncrone
November 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Oh yes...Shasta attracts the paranormal crowd...remember back in 1987 or 88, the Harmonic Convergence of planets? People flocked up there in droves, just to be at Shasta.