PDA

View Full Version : Resolutions for the New Year

Kalika
November 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Have you started thinking of yours?

I generally don't do much with this, but I've been thinking about it alot lately, as there are some personal behaviors I would like to change.

What about you? Any you'd care to share? Have you had any success with these in the past?

Marcasite
November 29th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Probably to be more patient with my fiance. That has been my resolution for many years and I'm getting there, but slowly.
And then maybe something school related like skipping less class, getting all As that sort of thing

Cyzarine
November 29th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I haven't really ever made any resolutions in the past. Last New Years I made one to quit smoking and I was doing good but my husband told me it's ok to have a cigarette or two once in a while and that triggered my nicotine habit again. Mind you, I do honestly dislike smoking. I think I'm going to aim for that this up coming year and as well eating right. I barely eat and I am always forgetting to take vitamins. I don't care about weightloss issues but I almost passed out several times because I didn't eat. That can't be a good sign and I have kids to take care of so I can't let myself get sick like that.

TheWomanMonster
November 29th, 2006, 04:29 PM
New years resolutions... Hmm?
I guess I should start thinking about things I want to change.
There are a few that stick out in my mind.
Maybe I'll just make them resolutions in general though. :D

LadyAutumnCat
November 29th, 2006, 04:33 PM
None in particular, I'm just trying to change my life in general.

Liberty
November 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I normally don't do resolutions.

I guess mine for the New Year would be:

1. Lose 5lbs.
2. Start saving up money for my trip to Scotland.
3. Try to get my internship done before the summer.
4. Eat less sweets.

Athena-Nadine
November 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Right now mine are to wear less sweats and more pretty things and even lengerie, to spend more quality time with my husband as a woman, not just a mother, to go out and enjoy my friends more, and to do more for myself. :D Oh--and to lose 35-40 lbs. and get back into athletic condition.

It's all too easy to become completely absorbed in my son at the expense of everything else around me, including me.

WokeUpDead
November 29th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I don't normally do them but I really need to pick up better study habits

Rudas Starblaze
November 29th, 2006, 11:14 PM
1. try to take over the world.
2. something else i cant mention.
3. come up with a fool proof get rich quick sceme.
4. did i mention i cant mention something?
5. um, wasnt new years on november 1st?

KarmaMorgaine
November 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Hmmm...mine aren't really impossible goals for a change. This year I've really changed and grown, and gotten my act together. And then this week I got hired at a great store and I know I'm going to do very well there. Add that to my father surviving his heart attack and everyone else in our family, for the most part, is still with us and doing well I've had a pretty good 2006!

So here are my goals to make 2007 better:

1. Take time to write everyday, even if it's only for 15 minutes.
2. Take time to meditate and do daily devotionals, not just hitting the Sabbats and Esbats. Again, even if only for 15 minutes a day.
3. Eliminate meat from my diet and kick my soda addiction, because I want to be healthier. Not sure yet if I'm going to kick the caffiene habit as well or not, we'll see how these first two go.
4. Find a wonderfull partner and hopefully break my seven year celibacy streak.
5. Try the hobbies I'd like to get involved in and make a point to try new things, instead of just focusing on one or two little aspects of my range of talents, quirks and interests.

I think that's about it...and I think I can really do it too! :)

Mirain
November 30th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I really need to work on my budgeting skills :money: and then maybe adopt better eating habits.

Aedrais
November 30th, 2006, 02:12 AM
My 2007 Resolutions:

1. If I haven't already by New Years, then by the end of January, make it to the 150 lbs mark. By summer, make it 140 lbs. (I give myself a lot of time to slowly adjust my lifestyle. It's healthier and easier to maintain, that way.)

2. Find a university to transfer to.

3. Make it to New Years 2008 with my SO. (We make these goals traditionally. Last year, we hoped to make it to New Years 2007. ;))

4. And... make it to Italia this summer.

katriona
November 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Let's see

1. focus on my spirtual path
2. spend more time with my husband
3. concentrate on making a businss out of my soaps, lotions, and bath accessories
4. do yoga and meditation every day
5. get out of debt
6. eat better
7. write in my journal every day
8. finish school
9. get into better shape
10. after getting a handle on getting out of debt, save up for a trip to Europe in two years.

Against The Tide
November 30th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I don't do New Year's resolutions - If there's something I want to change in my life I will try and change it at the earliest opportunity and not endure it any longer than I have to. Most NY resolutions I've witnessed are:

a) Never taken seriously: I see people try the same resolutions year in and year out, they take them and have an attitude as though they expect to fail - thus its a self-fufilling phophecy.
b) Are not thought out well enough: I worked with someone who was on a 40 cigarettes a day habbit and his NYR was to quit, Jan 1st he went without a cigarette. Jan 2nd he was back on - The cold turkey/throw ourselves at the gym approach doesn't work when you are trying to destroy/create habbits. Only slower more subtle changes in lifestyle will last.
c) Too vague: If you are aiming to be happier in life, or fitter or spend more time with your kids and less in the office you need specific goals to focus and reach for. Say if you wanted to lose weight for the beach holiday this year and put yourself on a diet, without a goal you will be happy to lose a few pounds here and there, but with a specific goal you can hold it up and know exactly how far you are from it, how much harder you need to push yourself, what are the problems inpeeding your progress.

Not to rubbish resolutions in general - I think its good that we can take stock of our current situations and see what areas of our life need working on, we shouldn't settle for 'OK' or 'alright' when we can have 'great' and 'fantastic'.

My current short/mid term life ressolutions (because everyone shared there NY ones) are:
1. Work on my self confidence. I want to be happy when I'm single and not feel that I need the love of another to justify my very existence. I want to feel that in any given situation I can offer just as much as the next guy. I want to enter crowded rooms and not feel intimidated by the weight of responsibilty created by the dellusion that I need to please everyone.
2. I want to be nice people person again. No more pushing people I love away with arguments, or hurtful remarks. No more letting people down at the last minute because I'd rather not try than try and fail.
3. Give my doctors a fair chance. Stay on the prozac, Attend cognitive therapy sessions.
4. Get my six pack back (not too far away hopefully) and grow my hair long again then show them off to the world.
5. Get training and get a real job, I deserve better than minium wage heavy and dirty toiling (everyone deserves better).
6. Have a good working knowledge of palmistry and rune casting to supplement my tarot knowledge. Use these skills to bolster income and improve other people's lives.
7. Use my bad life expeirences as lessons learnt and share that knowledge with other people - find out what is required then volenteer for the samaritans or child helplines.
8. Have the two holidays I've planned next year - One in Holland the other Norway. Hell nor high water shall stop me from having the best time ever with my friends.
9. Learn to spell! I majored (or english equivilent) in English, why is my writing so sloppy. Fix it Adam!

Kalika
November 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I don't do New Year's resolutions - If there's something I want to change in my life I will try and change it at the earliest opportunity and not endure it any longer than I have to. Most NY resolutions I've witnessed are:

a) Never taken seriously: I see people try the same resolutions year in and year out, they take them and have an attitude as though they expect to fail - thus its a self-fufilling phophecy.
b) Are not thought out well enough: I worked with someone who was on a 40 cigarettes a day habbit and his NYR was to quit, Jan 1st he went without a cigarette. Jan 2nd he was back on - The cold turkey/throw ourselves at the gym approach doesn't work when you are trying to destroy/create habbits. Only slower more subtle changes in lifestyle will last.
c) Too vague: If you are aiming to be happier in life, or fitter or spend more time with your kids and less in the office you need specific goals to focus and reach for. Say if you wanted to lose weight for the beach holiday this year and put yourself on a diet, without a goal you will be happy to lose a few pounds here and there, but with a specific goal you can hold it up and know exactly how far you are from it, how much harder you need to push yourself, what are the problems inpeeding your progress.

You're absolutely right. :) Alot of those things apply to alot of people, and I think people seeing that might help them better acheive their goals.

[/optimistic ramble.]

Amythyst
November 30th, 2006, 02:31 PM
My resolution-- and my hope-- is to find what I have obviously been looking for my whole life.

Sitalique
November 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I think I'm gonna give up on resolutions. Every year (actually almost every morning really) I say the same thing, but it never happens and I get more depressed and life either stays the same or gets worse. Never better.

So, I'm giving up on resolutions like it seems I do with everything else.

Cynyr
November 30th, 2006, 10:05 PM
To persue genuine happiness at whatever cost.

SilverClaw
November 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Mine are the same as the ones I make On Sahmain,except I take sometime to revise them and see if I am being reasonable or not.

I have had success with my goals a few years ago, but the past two have been another story I hope that this upcoming year to at least finish my one poetry book, one tarot deck, open my art business, and revive my magazine..Also loose weight and get back into shape.