View Full Version : Pronouns, Pronouns, PRONOUNS!

December 3rd, 2006, 04:09 AM
Pronouns in spanish serve the same purpose in English; you can use them when you have named an object you would not like to repeat ( La Carta becomes 'La'), when speaking about someone or thing, to show ownership, etc.

Here are the Spanish Pronouns:
Note I do not use vos, os, vosotros, so if anyone who knows about them wants to come along and tell yall about them, I will add that in and credit them.

Also note that just like in English, correct grammar is different than what is usually spoken for most people. I will attempt to give it to you so you can speak it.

A subject pronoun, is a replacement for a noun. Think of it as the nominator (nominativE), you are nominating them to have or to be doing something. You already know these, trust me.

They are:

Yo (I)
Tu (You)
Él/Ella/Usted (He, She, It, You formal)
Nosotros (We)
Ellos/Ellas/Ustedes (Those Boys, Those Girls, You all).

(yo) Puedo nadar contigo anoche.
I can swin with you tonight.

Now, notice when we wanted to say you, we did not use the pronoun tu, this time it has changed in to Ti. This brings us in to...

Direct Object Pronouns
A direct object is used directly. In English we call this Accusative, you're accusing someone sort of.

These are:
Note from now on we will use the persons to replace English pronouns, ie: Yo = First Person, tu = second, etc.

Me (1st)
Te (2nd)
Lo/La/Se* (3rd)
Nosotros (we)
Los/Las/Se (Them, You all, They)

An Example:
!(Me) Te Quiero! * Now, if you are Spanish you may recall a rhyme that went something something, me te quiero :lol:. However, most of the times you will not hear Me when someone says these things.

I love you.

Now, notice, the verb conjugations and dps working together.
Quiero = I Love, and te = you. Remember the subject comes first.

I hear some of you saying, "Now wait just a damn minute, Findarto, you told us about that Ti up there and I did not hear anything about it explained in that last section, bastard!" :idea:

Well, this brings us to indirect object pronouns. YAY!

Indirect Object Pronouns

An indirect object pronoun does what the name states, goes around someone. You use it when talking about others or yourself think of Me instead of I and Him instead of He most of the time. Now, this is flawed, but it kind of works.

And to copy from Wikipedia, whose nice chart I will link you to at the end of the lesson, love those damn articles. An example is:

Me lo dió* a mi.
He gave it to me.
*Dió is the third person of Dar.

Now, to Findarto-ify, this let's say for the record:
¿Recuerdas el anillo?
José dijo que lo dió a mi.

Remember that ring?
Jose said that he gave it to me.

Notice Dijo comes from Decir (To say), and is in the past like Dio is in the past of Dar. Decir is conjugated with a J in the past, Dar is not.

Now as you can see, mi comes from me. When using a preposition that is not 'con' the indirects are:

Ellos/Ellas/ Sí

If you are using Con (with) they are:
Con + Me = Conmigo
Con and Te = Contigo
Con + Si = Consigo
This is only for the first three tenses.

The last Pronoun... Whipee!

Possesive Pronouns
Possessive pronouns show ownership. In English they would be, Yours, Mine, Ours, etc.

mío / mía / los míos / las mías
tuyo / tuya / los tuyos / las tuyas
suyo / suya / los suyos / las suyas
nuestro / nuestra / los nuestros / las nuestras
suyo / suya / los suyos / las suyas

An example from my foggy memory of that new Folgers' commercial where they sing that song that gets stuck in my head:

Nuestra casa era hecho en los estados unidos... dun dun dun
Our house was made in the USA...

Oops, I lied, one more set of pronouns, but this is a fast one.

Reflexive Pronouns
Reflexive pronouns are used with reflexive verbs. To think back on what a teacher once said, think of them as things we do to ourselves like a mirror; a reflection.

They are:

Now, when you see a verb and it has se attached to it, especially when it's in the infinitive form and has brackets around it and I'm assigning it to you as a vocabulary word it means to each other, except of course for some exceptions which will come up during our Getting Ready for the Day lessons. Ie: Besar(se) is to kiss each other / to kiss.

Use a pronoun from each set you just learned in two sentences. You can pick the same or different ones from each. ;).

Here are some extra pronouns you have heard that I trust you will be able to figure out how to use, if not ask me.

Indefinite: Algo (something), nadie (nobody), alguien (anybody), todo (all), todas (all), uno (one), unos (some), ninguno (none)

Relative: Que (that, which, who, whom), quien (who, whom), cuyo (whose), cuyas (whose), donde (where), lo cual (which, that which)

Interrogative: Qué (what), quién (who/what), cuándo (when)