View Full Version : Need an idea or answer!

March 26th, 2002, 02:50 AM
I need a chemical that I can spray(preferrably) on thin paper to
make it stiffen. Kinda like fabric stiffener. Any answers and
where to find them would be appreciated!

March 26th, 2002, 03:13 AM
...starch spray, for stiffening shirt collars. Might make the paper go transparent though... I've never tried it myself! This may be a silly question, but why don't you use card instead of paper?

March 26th, 2002, 03:29 AM
I have taken the very long detachable ends off both sides of
computer teletype printoff paper(whatever) and croched(sp?)
them into a chain. I plant to weave the chain into a tree form
if possible or if not, then a gordian knot. Materials Design Class.

March 26th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Spray starch or watered down glue would stiffen the paper. You might have to experiment with them to see which works better for you. For the watered down glue, try 1:1 first. I use that ratio to stiffen fabric.

Old Witch
March 28th, 2002, 12:51 AM
Can you soak the paper in say the Niagra brand Starch you buy at the grocery store or maybe paint that kind of starch on until it is soaked thru the paper?

March 29th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Could you try glue in a spray can?

March 29th, 2002, 11:41 AM
what kind of spray glue?:huh:

March 29th, 2002, 11:50 AM
I think i may have found something Flar

it is called "softsculp" it is like a spray glue


March 29th, 2002, 04:29 PM
I dunno if spray glue will work in the way you want it too - just I was using a tin of the stuff once, got some on my the sleeve of my top and that went pretty rigid before I washed it - is that the sort of effect you're looking for?

I did a quick search on the net 'coz I couldn't remember the name of the stuff I had, heres a few links to get you started...


Hope it helps:)

March 29th, 2002, 05:32 PM