PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Chews Off Baby's Toes While Parents Slept

enchancea
December 15th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I didnt see this posted anywhere else:

BOSSIER CITY, La. A pit bull puppy chewed off four of a baby girl's toes while the child's parents slept, police here said Monday. The parents were booked on charges of child desertion and criminal negligence and were being held in the Bossier Parish Jail pending an initial court appearance.

Police said the parents were sleeping on a mattress in the living room of their residence and the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the puppy began chewing on their baby's toes.

Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, told police they woke up to the sound of the baby crying, found her mangled foot and took her to the hospital about 8:30 a.m. Sunday.

"They did not see the dog injuring the child," police spokesman Mark Natale said.

The girl underwent surgery Sunday at Sutton's Children's Hospital in Shreveport. There was no way to reattach the child's toes, Natale said Monday.

The puppy was 6 weeks old and had no record of receiving its shots and will be quarantined for 10 days to check for rabies. Natale said he did not know what the puppy's fate would be after that.

"The puppy itself was just several weeks old! I mean this was essentially a puppy," Natale said.

This puppy might have been trying to nurse on the toes of this baby," veterinarian Michael Dale speculated. "I know that sounds a little far fetched, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind."

Teresa Miller, who sold the puppy to the Hansches, was skeptical the dog did it. "He didn't chew on anything while he was with me. Out of all of them (in the litter), he was the least chewy."

Another veterinarian, Dr. Valri Brown, said if the puppy chewed off the infant's toes, it would not have happened quickly. "It would have to be a period of time maybe at least an hour," she said.

Meanwhile, the puppy's been quarantined at Bossier City's animal control office for the next 10 days to check for rabies. Natale said he did not know what the puppy's fate would be after that.

When she is released from the hospital, the child will be placed in a foster home until the case against her parents is settled, officials said.

NiftyWings
December 15th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I saw this yesterday. It blows me away that the baby was supposedly right there next to the parents, but they didn't wake up??

I'm also worried that this story will be used as another means to vilify pit bulls.

Merrilyn
December 15th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Flippin' idiots.

Maggie
December 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I saw this yesterday. It blows me away that the baby was supposedly right there next to the parents, but they didn't wake up??

I'm also worried that this story will be used as another means to vilify pit bulls.

I saw a news clip of this. The puppy is VERY young, and was sitting scrunched up and shaking the whole time on camera. I want to know why there was no bed frame, no crib and no crate for the puppy. And why it took so long for the parents to wake up.

KaidaMidnight
December 15th, 2006, 11:58 AM
The baby would have been screaming right? I mean, it would hurt it, so why would the parents just ignore the sound of their child crying and screaming???? That baby should not have been in it's carrier to begin with anyway. A bed, or even playpen, but not a carrier. And if they couldn't afford a crate or such for the puppy... keep it in a room that has a closed door, the bathroom or something. And your right Nifty... they are going to blame it on the puppy being a pitt... which is very very sad. :rant:

Catiana
December 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I saw this article a couple of days ago, its unbelievable the parents didn't wake up when the baby first started crying, I wouldn't be surprised if drugs on the parents part were involved.

Shanti
December 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Could you please place a link to the story? Copyright laws and all.

Yeah, its another pit bull bashing instead of neglectful parents bashing of course! Blame the puppy, not the parents. I saw comments on the net to various news articles of this story and its more bashing of the breed than anything else.

LightDancer
December 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I saw this article a couple of days ago, its unbelievable the parents didn't wake up when the baby first started crying, I wouldn't be surprised if drugs on the parents part were involved.

No doubt! I was up like a shot if I even heard my kids whimper when they were babies. I can't imagine sleeping through agonized screaming, especially if the baby was right next to me. Poor little babies, they both must be so scared.

Some people really shouldn't be in charge of living things:grrrrr:

Jamie

NiftyWings
December 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I'm glad the baby was taken into Protective Custody. For the child to be screaming for that long and the parents not wake up, something is seriously wrong. And even though the article doesn't mention it, there might have been something else going on.

And am I the only one that thinks it's strange that they dragged a mattress out into the living room just to watch TV??

wooleybob
December 15th, 2006, 02:32 PM
:idea: Lets take the parents to the pound,and let some dogs chew on their feet,and see how long it takes for them to scream???:grrrrr:

TuathaSidhe
December 15th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I'll see if I can find the links to the stories, but there is ANOTHER story, a second case where a Jack Russell did the same thing. I'll do some digging, cause they werent in my states.

This is only a 6wk old puppy in the pit case.....I wanna know where the parents were, they are the ones responsible for this happening, no ifs ands or buts about it. Even if their was no crate, like it was said, but the dog in another room if you cant watch is....

My thoughts are that they werent there when it happened, or messed up on something and passed out to the world.

TuathaSidhe
December 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Heres the one for the pit bull puppy case.

Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236001,00.html)

Fox news was just the first one to come up, but all the other articals from ABC, Yahoo, Etc. all say the same thing pretty much.

Here is the one for the jack russell mix pup, I dont know if it can be viewed without signing up..if you sign up its free and all though.

OnlineAthens (http://onlineathens.com/stories/081905/new_20050819036.shtml)

a few tid bits from it...

AUGUSTA - An Augusta mother was arrested after her 2-month-old daughter's right foot was chewed by a puppy and had to be amputated, officials said Wednesday.

The puppy had apparently jumped into the baby's bassinet and chewed off part of the right foot, Young said. One of the baby's toes also was missing.

Young said the puppy was a Jack Russell terrier mix. A police report says the puppy, named Rosco, is about the same age as Cadence.

Meadhbh
December 15th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I heard about this and there is something up. A puppy that size would take a long time to chew off one toe let along four. That and chances are it wouldn't randomly start chewing on toes, I hope they don't kill the poor little thing when the whole thing was the parnets fault to begin with.

Marcasite
December 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm also very skeptical - how on earth would the parents manage to sleep through the sound of their baby screaming as its toes are being slowly chewed off? If they didn't wake up for that, then how would they ever wake up in the middle of the night to feed the poor thing. I imagine pain screams would be a lot louder than hunger cries. Unless they were absolutely drunk/drugged passed out, there's no way they could have missed it.

MysticWitch
December 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Another veterinarian, Dr. Valri Brown, said if the puppy chewed off the infant's toes, it would not have happened quickly. "It would have to be a period of time — maybe at least an hour," she said.

this comment made me want to vomit. That baby suffered great pain as her toes one by one were eaten.. how would the parents like to have that done to them. They shouldn't have kids.

Lunar Raven
December 15th, 2006, 05:26 PM
That sounds rather suspicious (and horrible :(). I wonder if the puppy did it at all though... o.O

That just doesn't seem realistic to me.

The parents need to be investigated more.

Starlight*Rains
December 15th, 2006, 07:39 PM
This has my blood RAGING through my veins. I have 3 kids. They sneeze and I'm UP! No if's and's or but's about it. I cannot imagine the agony that poor baby felt. Makes me wanna call SS and tell em I want her. I don't understand why people like that still have the organs to reproduce....or their TOES!!!!!!!!:grrrrr:

I had a friend who lived with me at my mom's home when we were younger. I had my oldest and she had a son not 1 month apart from my daughter. He was preemie so very VERY quiet when he cried. She would roll over on him in the night and not hear him cry but I could hear his mousy whimpers from across the hall. I took him in with me and put him in my daughters bassinet. I laid her next to me to nurse and would feed him the bottle at the same time. I was 16 and basically had twins!!!! Needless to say...he was taken.

Teresa
December 16th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Grand always said if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all . So here goes : ........................................................@#$%^&^%$#@!
Sterilization !! .....................*&^%$#@! :rant:

Darbla
December 17th, 2006, 01:23 AM
It's making me wonder if the baby wasn't drugged, to keep it quiet or something. And I wouldn't think a drug test on the baby would be standard procedure at the hospital to find that out.

Sun Sprite
December 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM
My thought: If it took one hour to chew off one toe, it would have taken four hours to chew off four. Wouldn't the baby have bled to death in that much time?

I'm not sure I would blame the puppy without a vet or other qualified professional haveing examined the baby upon admittance to the hospital.

Second, how about all the people lineing up to adopt the puppy? Hope they aren't wanting it to be a fighter!

Infinite Grey
December 17th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I do not believe it would have taken the puppy long to bite a few baby toes off... I mean, infants are incredibly fragile... a toddler, yeah it would have taken a while... a child, unlikely it would do more than break the skin. These are also young parents, and very inexperienced... a baby's cry has the same decibels as a jack hammer, I imagine an educated parent might have thought the child was just being fussy at first... and given that (despite what the vet said) it probably didn't take the puppy relatively long to chew a delicate toes off... it's a tragedy that the parents have live with, and possibly lose their child over. People are quick to jump to conclusions (yet again)

Seren_
December 17th, 2006, 07:02 PM
A baby crying in pain is much different to one that's just being fussy, as their cry is different from when they have gas compared to when they're hungry...When a baby's in pain, it tends to be extremely loud and extremely high pitched. Anyone could tell something was wrong if the baby was crying.

In order for the puppy to chew the toes off it would surely have had to use the teeth at the side...they're not very sharp so it would have taken some time. And puppies chew, especially bored ones. I'm sure it could have had the toes off real quick if it wanted to, but in that case I doubt it would have stopped with the just toes.

Against The Tide
December 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I feel very sorry for the parents, I don't think they are bad people, just incompitent. Poor sods... Poor baby.. Poor puppy.

Callatya
December 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Is it certain that the mattress was in the living room for the TV? My first thought was that the financial situation sounded dire and that dog food and chew toys would be low on the list.

Philosophia
December 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
If the financial situation is so dire, why have a puppy at all?

Cindlady2
December 18th, 2006, 04:49 AM
IMO the puppy was too young to have been sold (8 weeks is much better) and to get a new puppy when you just had your first baby is foolish! Booth need too much attention!

Callatya
December 18th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I really don't know. I wouldn't, but puppy appeal sends some people into a really odd place. Maybe they thought it'd be nice for the dog and the baby to grow up together or something like that.

Its all a bit odd.

Galaxia
December 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Ω

Autumnsong
January 5th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I just have to wonder what made the puppy consider the baby's toes as fair game anyway. If he was trying to nurse, he could have been quite hungry, and if he was purposefully trying to EAT the toes, it's likely he was near starving.

So... underfed dog and neglected baby. Suspicious? Oi...
You know, even poor folks in the US can get welfare and food stamps and WIC. This shouldn't have happened.

And if they're as low as the article hinted, what if they were trying to raise the pit for fighting themselves? That would have brought them money without having to get a REAL job, and then they could still collect unemployment/welfare/etc, do their drugs, ignore their baby and keep their dog starved all at once.

wolfjan1
January 5th, 2007, 02:52 AM
The parents' story is hinkey at best. Apparently the are sleeping on the floor of their apartment with no furniture for the baby......I hope the police are testing them for drugs as well. They should NEVER see that child again. I do not think that the puppy is at fault at all. I hope he goes to a loving new home that understands the breed and will train it PROPERLY AND RESPONSIBLY!
Love and Energy to the baby and the puppy.

Zebi
January 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Update on the story:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/5072256.html

Shanti
January 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Funny how they call the dog a puppy now and not a pitt bull!!!
Also its funny how it went from a 'gnawing' to a 'quickly' biting toes off!!

So how much is sensualization and how much is freaky pet accident?

Thunder
January 6th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Alcohol.

Autumnsong
January 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I like how no one mentioned a ferret at all in the first few stories that came out. *rolls eyes*

Good grief.

NiftyWings
January 9th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Alcohol.

Yep, or some other psychoactive substance.

NiftyWings
January 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I like how no one mentioned a ferret at all in the first few stories that came out. *rolls eyes*

Good grief.

Of course... vicious baby-toe-chewing pit bulls make better news!

Autumnsong
January 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Of course they do! Even when they're six weeks old and scared out of their wits... the poor dear. I hope it finds a good home!

Revilo
January 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM
The baby would have been screaming right? I mean, it would hurt it, so why would the parents just ignore the sound of their child crying and screaming???? That baby should not have been in it's carrier to begin with anyway. A bed, or even playpen, but not a carrier. And if they couldn't afford a crate or such for the puppy... keep it in a room that has a closed door, the bathroom or something. And your right Nifty... they are going to blame it on the puppy being a pitt... which is very very sad. :rant:

That is exactly what I thought. Sounds like neglect all round here. This very much sounds like the parents could not afford the dog anyway (no real bed, no cot) and how comes they were stone cold while the baby was crying - correction screaming. ITs just a ashame the puppy chewed of the babies toes and not one of the parents toes.

I dont think this will be used against the breed, anyone in their right mind can see the parents were seriously at fault here. I dont particularly like dogs and do think that they are animals with large teeth(sorry dont mean to offend) and everyone should be cautious of them but here I just see two people who had a baby got a dog and didnt know how to care for either of them.

dragoncrone
January 10th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Crack cocaine?!

I'm glad the baby was taken into Protective Custody. For the child to be screaming for that long and the parents not wake up, something is seriously wrong. And even though the article doesn't mention it, there might have been something else going on.

And am I the only one that thinks it's strange that they dragged a mattress out into the living room just to watch TV??

Maybe they drag the car inside when they want to have sex?... Seriously, no more kids for these dip-wads!