PDA

View Full Version : Question about making candles

SilverClaw
December 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Aside from making the bees wax candles with the sheets what other ways can you make candles and what equipment would you need?

Brightshores
December 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I occasionally make soy wax candles - it's quite easy. You buy some soy wax flakes, wicks, fragrance or essential oil, and colorant if you want it. You melt the wax in the microwave to a certain temperature, stir in the fragrance and coloring, and pour it into containers. (I use glass votive candleholders for containers, but you can use almost anything fireproof..)

I got mine from here: http://www.creativeilluminations.com/category_6.php; but you can get it in a million places online, and I think Michaels and/or AC Moore might have most of the stuff you need.

Good luck! Candlemaking is a lot of fun. :)

Lunacie
December 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I was told that you can't melt wax in the microwave... is soy wax different somehow?

I used to make molded candles. I used old coffee pots or coffee cans, drop the wax into the can, sit the can in an electric skillet filled with water, set the temp on low and let it melt. Stir in stirene pellets and colors (scents if desired) and pour into the molds. Let cool and unmold. I also did a few poured candles that way, which is fun because you can do different layers or add seashells or leaves or other stuff.

Of10Rot10
December 17th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Wicks, always important. I like the kind with the wire center but that because you don't need buy the wick holders that way. Wick will burn slower if you dip it in the wax first and then pour the wax around it.

Chunks of left over candles are a get way to find out if you really want to make your own candles. Fill a large pan with water and melt the chunks in an old metal coffee can. Molds, well you can make a mold out of many things. If you use glass just be sure its a thick glass like a jelly or mason jar. Empty toliet paper or towel rolls make great molds. Use wax paper doubled to seal off one end and secure with a rubber band. Sand, use a glass, bottle large shell or bowl to shape the sand and remove then just pour the wax in and let it set up. These make great summer candle because some of the sand is trapped in the wax as it dries.

You don't have to really spend anything to color or scent either. Crayons broken up into small pieces will color wax and you can use things right out of the cabinet to scent them. Ground cinnamon and a splash of vanilla make a nice scent.

Candle are something that can be made pretty cheaply if all you are wanting is just a candle to burn or you can spend a bit more and make some amazing candles.

Brightshores
December 17th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Yes - I think soy wax is different, at least the brand I use anyway... it said on the directions that it was microwave-safe, and it worked just fine. :)

SilverClaw
December 18th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I got mine from here: http://www.creativeilluminations.com/category_6.php; but you can get it in a million places online, and I think Michaels and/or AC Moore might have most of the stuff you need.
Ooooh I could kiss your feet that is an awesome site and it accepts paypal .. Oh wow I was already in a hyper good mood and this made it better. :boing:

Thanks Of10Rot10 for the ideas that is awesome I have all sorts of things here to use as molds.. And these candles are a test run to see if I will be adding these to my online business. :D

I used to make molded candles. I used old coffee pots or coffee cans, drop the wax into the can, sit the can in an electric skillet filled with water, set the temp on low and let it melt. Stir in stirene pellets and colors (scents if desired) and pour into the molds. Let cool and unmold. I also did a few poured candles that way, which is fun because you can do different layers or add seashells or leaves or other stuff That is what my grandma use to do to :D THanks for your post :D

Brightshores
December 18th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Ooooh I could kiss your feet that is an awesome site and it accepts paypal .. Oh wow I was already in a hyper good mood and this made it better. :boing:

Glad I could help!! (Foot kissing is optional. :bigblue: :lol: )

SilverClaw
December 19th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Glad I could help!! (Foot kissing is optional. :bigblue: :lol: ) Ok how about this ?

I am not worthy I am not worthy :fpraise: :fpraise: :fpraise: :fpraise: :fpraise: :D

Brightshores
December 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM
:rollingla

I don't get that often, I can tell you. :lol:

I do owe you a :fpoke: for that one...

SilverClaw
December 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hey watch it that hurts ya know :nyah:

ravenscape
December 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Kewl! I decided recently to try out candle making. Figured I'd start by melting down a couple of pillar candles whose wicks disappeared on me. I was given some basic supplies and a book called "Candlemaking for Fun & Profit" as gifts. Will be traveling on vacation for two weeks starting tomorrow, but when I get back home I can't wait to try out the new toys!

Of10Rot10
December 25th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Excellent! Let us know how it turns out. :hahugh:

SilverClaw
December 26th, 2006, 03:58 AM
oooh cannot wait for an update :D