View Full Version : willow tree in a pot?

April 10th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Merry Meet to everyone in the Green Room! I am Hestia--- mom, hearth goddess and wanabe green witch. I just recently moved into a home that has a front and backyard which I'm looking forward to working in. I got the idea that I might like to plant a willow tree somewhere and was wondering if it's something that can be initially grown in a container. I read Litha's post on planting your own grove and thought I might try it with the willow tree. BB

Earth Walker
April 10th, 2001, 06:44 PM
They can be started in pots, and then planted out back
when it is 6--8 months old. To protect it from the cold,
cover it well with straw. :sunny:
Oh, and after transplanting to the ground, give it a good
watering with warm water, about 65--70 degrees F.
This will help ease the shock to the plant caused by
transplanting. :bigredgri

April 15th, 2001, 11:29 PM
Merry Meet Hestia,

I was wondering if the Willow tree is just an ordinary Weeping Willow? This is a gargantuous tree, just thought you might want to know it gets 75 -100 feet tall by 50 -100 feet wide and it is a fast grower!! So, don't plant it too close to your house!! There are smaller species/cultivars available that are just as beautiful.

It can be propagated equally well and as fast by root cuttings or by seeds (they do not require any dormancy period, before planting).

To add to what Mystique said...when you tranplant it, it must be in a moist/wet area. They do not like dry, chalky, sandy soils.... the wetter, the better! You needn't worry about the hay where you are, but the water and some bonemeal to help the roots take are a definite. Also must be in full sun.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

April 16th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Merry Meet and welcome Moonwillow! Thank you for your post regarding the willow tree. I'm still in the research phase of this project and would love your suggestions on what type of smaller species are available. I'm actually not sure if it's even feasible given the area I live in (I think I'm in zone 9, not really sure), and we do get very HOT, dry summers. I'm open to other varieties it's just that I've always had an affinity for the willow tree. If I can't plant one in my yard I can always visit a beautiful one down by the river which is a 5 minute walk from my house.:)

....and if I'm not being too much of a bother I have a little question about pennyroyal. I have one growing in a little pot in a kitchen window and I've noticed it keeps getting little fuzzy 'seeds' all around the stem. I'm not sure if they're bugs or something else. Should I be removing them? They always come back.:(

Thanks again and welcome to the community. If you haven't yet, help ypurself to the lemonade, cookies, banana bread and other delights!

April 17th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Hello Hestia,

I tried to look at a hardiness zone map and I guess California seems to be mostly a zone 9, but parts of it seem to be zone 8 (farther in from the coast). My geography sucks, big time!! Sorry! I'm with Silverwitch, I couldn't find my way out of a paper bag! (in Britain, USA or Canada!).

There are a couple of types of Willow that they say could survive in a zone 8 (as long as you keep it watered, it will be just fine). Maybe this would be a good excuse to build a pond or bog? I love Willows too!

If they are available:

Common name - Globe Navajo Willow
Botanical name - Salix matsudana 'Navajo' (apparently used in SW USA?)

- or -

Common name - Black Pussy Willow
Botanical name - Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys'

Pennyroyal - Mentha pulegium, mmmm.... It kinda sounds like the plant is trying to spread and get bigger. It is a clump forming plant. I think it likes its home!

Hope this is helpful?

Thank you very much for your welcome Hestia! I have seen a lot of mention regarding lemonade and banana bread (mmmm, my favorite) but am a little confused?
Not sure what that means :confused: just good jesture I assume?

Take care, you all are great folks here!