PDA

View Full Version : LONG road trips...(m)

Margie
April 2nd, 2002, 09:15 AM
Hi all, sorry I've been gone all weekend. We unexpectedly went to West Virginia to visit my boyfriend's dad and step-mom. The drive isn't all that bad, 6hours. HOWEVER with a 3 year old and a 10 month old in the car that just changes everything! My oldest, Erica, used to get carsick! YUK. We just happened to find out one day when she was like 1 1/2, driving to WV and she just threw up the whole time. On the way home I bought Dramamine, gave her the proper dosage for that and we made it home safe and sound! She hasn't thrown up in the car since about May. I think we had also gone to WV after the baby was born and Erica didn't throw up-COOL! :D Well, we decide last Thursday to go to WV, we're driving, leave Ohio, enter Pennsylvania, stop for a bathroom break and not 20 minutes later, guess who's puking their guts out...THE BABY! I dug to the very bottom of the diaper bad looking for remnants of a Dramamine pill. (this was after she had puked a second time) I bite off a tiny piece and start chewing it up in my mouth to transfer to her mouth. She took it willingly (*surprisingly*) and didn't have a third incident.

Yesterday morning when we were getting ready to leave, I took the pill that I had left, split it in half and gave each of my daughters a dose. Erica had been up throwing up the night before so I was hoping to curttail that, and for preventative measures for the baby. When we finally made it home, our Jeep was dry and the girls were not sick and well rested.

SOOOOOOOOOO my question to you is what do you do on long car trips? What kinda games do you play with your children? How do you keep them occupied? How do you keep them from throwing up? What do you do?

Faery-Wings
April 2nd, 2002, 09:42 AM
The longest trip I have done with my kids was 3 hours, so that isn't too bad. We make regular trips to PA, about 2 hours and my kids know to pack a small back pack with toys. They seem to keep themselves very occupied that way. They do pretend play with their little figures, also their Leap Pads, etc. We also play word games- what words begin with the letter _ , or I Spy type games. For longer trips, I also pack baggies of snacks that they get at times along the way.

Thankfully, my kids don't get car sick, but my dog does- she is the one getting the Dramamine!

Chris

Flaire-FireStar
April 2nd, 2002, 11:42 PM
:T Here comes the other side of the story.. I can't go on long car trips (unless I'm driving) cuz I'm the one that gets carsick (can't fly or go on a boat very often either). But what I usually do is take a gravol before I go (used to work wonders, now I'm not so sure - have to try out this dramamine everyone's been talking about. :T) and usually I'll make it without having to holler at the driver to pull over. (Goddess knows how many times that happens. :sick: :() As well, since gravol makes me sleepy, I usually have a nap between bathroom breaks.
Being in the back seat is a bad idea for me...All through childhood I was the one riding in the front seat of the van so I wouldn't make a mess in daddy's van. (heheeh) Also, I can't read or anything like that, so either talking, listening to music (or books on tape) and sleeping are my only real options.
And, as always, we have barf bags readily available, just in case.

:o I hope no one has it as bad as I do -> 45 minute trips are getting to be too long for me now. :(

AradiaSupernova
April 4th, 2002, 12:29 PM
I only get sick if I'm in the car for more than 2 hours with no stop. If I'm driving (which I can now cuz I got my license), I don't get sick. To occupied on the road to get sick. But if I'm in the backseat of the car, I need a break once every 2 hours. lol

Sequoia
April 15th, 2002, 01:02 AM
I don't think I've ever really gotten carsick. . . but my little brother does. On windy roads. He once was on a tour bus and hurled all over this german tourist. . . ^^;;;;;; sorry lol but that's the extent of my knowlage of these things. . .

Mythrel
April 15th, 2002, 02:33 AM
mmmm...I love road trips...driving puts me at peace...

Dancin Girl
April 17th, 2002, 02:38 AM
My older sister used to get awfully, disgustingly car sick going around curvy roads, or up and down hills and such... of course this was back in the days of seat belts being luxury optional items.. and a Mother who refused to sit in the back seat and let sister ride in front... anyway, back then problem was solved by older sister laying on floor, taking a nap, not looking out the window at all.

When I moved back to Minnesota from Idaho with a 4 year old and a one year old.....Ohhhhh that was one of the Longest trips endured!!! 4 yr old daughter started puking the minute we got into the mountains!! After stopping a few times and being at my wit's end, not having another adult with me in the car, baby son screamin and daughter puking... I did resort to the floor option for her, no... I am not recommending it... but it did work, she slept through the mountains, I managed to hang on to my sanity!!

As for entertainment on long road trips... to solve arguing problems between my two kids, we had rotating front seat time each time we stopped they would switch places. Bags of small toys, books, snacks, cassettes and walkmans with headphones!!!! We played all sorts of make up story games such as What if?, If you could?, The usual I spy and sign games, Brain teaser cards, we brought the trivial pursuit cards and would play our own version of that....