PDA

View Full Version : Funny Green "Meteor"

Tabbykitty
January 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Everyone,

there was recently this funny green "meteor" seen where I live. The article can be read by clicking on the following link:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/251385/1/.html

What do you think it might be? The experts are still debating.

Lunacie
January 19th, 2007, 10:56 AM
A MW member reported seeing something like this in Colorado (U.S.) a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes it's a fragment of a meteor but this time they learned it was a piece of space debris burning up as it entered our atmosphere. I saw the same phenomenon myself about 20 years ago and it was awesome to see.

Silverfire Darkmoon
January 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I think I read somewhere that meteors can be different colours depending on what's in 'em. Different rock and metal combinations would create different colours....white, red, orange, green...

Rick
January 20th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Yep... I've seen green "shooting stars"... one that I remember vividly shot almost halfway across the sky in a very bright green fireball with a huge 'comet' tail... beautiful...

BTW, if an object burns green, it has a pretty high copper content...

TheWomanMonster
January 20th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I can't say with certainty but China just used a missle to shoot down an old satellite (you'll hear about this soon enough the USA is in an uproar),
Could this green meteor have been the resulting debris?
Would explain the copper, and the lack of sound.
;)
Just a thought.

ETA: Hmmm nope never mind just checked my dates and this occured 2 days before the supposed test. :D well there goes my theory!
Don't let Monsters post sleep deprived ramblings!

Lunacie
January 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I can't say with certainty but China just used a missle to shoot down an old satellite (you'll hear about this soon enough the USA is in an uproar),
Could this green meteor have been the resulting debris?
Would explain the copper, and the lack of sound.
;)
Just a thought.

ETA: Hmmm nope never mind just checked my dates and this occured 2 days before the supposed test. :D well there goes my theory!
Don't let Monsters post sleep deprived ramblings!

Maybe it still could have been debris from that - in a decaying orbit - finally loosing the battle to gravity.

Tranquility
January 20th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Looks like some sort of meteorite or meteor to me. A while back I saw a video of a policer offer who happened to catch a meteorite entering the earth's atmosphere on tape. His car's security camera caugh it. The entire sky around it turns green. Check it out: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/meteor.html

TheWomanMonster
January 20th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Looks like some sort of meteorite or meteor to me.

For the record:
Meteor = hunk of space rock hurtling through space.
Meteorite = same hunk of space rock when it enters the atmosphere of earth (on another planet).

Just a tidbit from my science geek days.

Lunacie
January 20th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Looks like some sort of meteorite or meteor to me. A while back I saw a video of a policer offer who happened to catch a meteorite entering the earth's atmosphere on tape. His car's security camera caugh it. The entire sky around it turns green. Check it out: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/meteor.html

Cool video! The one I saw was lower in the sky and we could see it for longer. I was riding in the bed of a pickup truck and had a wonderful unobstructed view.

Infinite Muse
January 21st, 2007, 12:31 AM
you know one day just before xmas i was driving to work and I saw this odd green "light" at a certain part along the side of the road. it zipped out of sight super fast. and i never did fgind out what it might have been. there were no houses in the area and no traffic at that time of day. i was totally creeped out the whole day and did *not* want to drive to work for a long time afterwards. even now i wish i could explain it away rationally

Tabbykitty
January 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Looks like some sort of meteorite or meteor to me. His car's security camera caugh it. The entire sky around it turns green. Check it out: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/meteor.html

Cooooooolll! Ive never seen a meteor or shooting star before. This footage really really looks awesome :D

Tabbykitty
January 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
you know one day just before xmas i was driving to work and I saw this odd green "light" at a certain part along the side of the road. it zipped out of sight super fast. and i never did fgind out what it might have been. there were no houses in the area and no traffic at that time of day. i was totally creeped out the whole day and did *not* want to drive to work for a long time afterwards. even now i wish i could explain it away rationally

say how big was this green light? Was it fairly close to the ground? Sometimes lights like these can be caused by phosperous seeping from the ground or it could be a being or entity. There are stories of people seeing flying or zipping lights in areas that are purportedly haunted or full of spirits......