PDA

View Full Version : Could Judaism die out?

David19
January 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, so if you want to move it somewhere else, please feel free :).

But, something i've heard recently is that Jews have a very real fear of Judaism dying out, as a lot of Reform and Conservative Jews inter-marry, and that kids produced aren't likely to be raised Jewish, and also i've read that there are more Jews who explore different faiths like Paganism, and convert than any other religion (i'm not sure if that's true or not, though).

And then you factor in that, a lot of Jews were killed during the Holocaust, that halved their population.

So, do you think Judaism could die out, personally, i hope it doesn't, as while i'm not Jewish (religiously anyway), i do respect Judaism, especially the different traditions (for example, the Reform synagogue near me was the first in England to perform the first gay marriage), and mystical & supernatural sides of it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?.

Morr
January 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM
A lot of people tried to whipe out Jews and Judaism in many many creative ways over the past 3,500 years.

All that happened without a Jewish state (at least since the last exile from Palastine, to 1948 -- Roughly 2,000 years).

Nowadays, there is Israel existing and it will continue existing (of course I am discarding any nuclear attacks/wars discuissions...) and preserving Jewish idenity -- Both secular and religous.

So no, I do not think Judaism will disappear.

My husband is not Jewish and I am Jewish. We go to a reform synagogue, volenteer and interact. While I am Pagan in my beliefs, I honor my ancestors through servicing my Jewish congregation and teaching Hebrew. Its a very open community, a lot of interfaith couples who DO raise their kids Jewish (or at least being aware of Jewish culture), and its a very open minded and loving community that supports a Jewish way of living that is open to interpertation by anyone. Ie. you dont have to keep the 613 laws to be a good Jew. You need to be a good person. God is alive through your acts of goodness, kindness and honor. That is the main agenda of my congregation and it makes Judaism wonderful and lots of gay and interfaith families WANT to be part of it.

So no, I dont think Judaism will die out. Will it evolve? I think so.

Paracelsus
January 27th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Morr's spot on - ideas don't die - they just evolve.

omar
January 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM
In the age of Aqarius all Abrahamic religions will die out.

synopa
January 31st, 2007, 08:32 PM
No it won't die out.

omar
February 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
There has been hundreds of religions died out over the past 3,000 years.

David19
February 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM

Doubt it, loads of people go on and on about the age of Aqarius, and somehow i don't think anything going to happen. So many people also tie it into 2012 (and here's the thing, a lot of what's written about 2012, is complete BS).

And, no, Judaism won't die out, like what Morr said, they've survived from pagan times to Christian times, so they'll go on again.

Morr
February 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM

And throughout these 3,000 years when other religions died, Judaism did not.

PrincessKLS
July 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Well there was once a time in which various pagan paths were thought to have dyed out but they keep reinventing themselves. So perhaps that's what Judaism is doing and will one day become an esoteric faith.

Cloaked Raven
July 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Like Morr and others have said, they have survived while other religions have died. I agree. Judaism will not die out, they will continue to evolve like the other belief systems have over the years.

PrincessKLS
July 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Yeah name one of them, I'm sure there's a small sect of people still doing it?