PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Herb Garden : How To

eaglewolf
February 9th, 2001, 11:40 PM
Transfered

Posted by mol

Ok. So how do we need to construct the box that will hold our herbs in an indoor herb garden. Lets take this whole thing step by step so we dont lose anyone...

Including me.

:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by eaglewolf

There are many ways to create an indoor herb garden, but I will post the easiest methods for us, and go from there.

First, you must consider two important factors :

Lighting and available space.

Young herbs require alot of light to grow. Natural is best and free, and unless you live in a dungeon, readily available. If you DO live in a dungeon, it is best to wait until your herbs can be planted outside.

Moving the herbs around a lot is not good for them, so you want to consider the space you have available. Can you use this space for as long as it takes to get the herbs growing, or until they can be transplanted outside?

You will need the following supplies :

Seeds, cuttings or transplants (your choice)
Potting container (purchased or home made)
Soilless mix (inexpensive and best)

*If you do not have, or can not get, soilless mix you can use soil found outside. This is not the best route for starting because of harsh properties normally found in outdoor soils. If you do use soil from outside, try to remove all weed and grass roots before planting.

Container : Should be shallow and drainable (holes in the bottom). The container you choose should be about 3 inches high, but not more than 5 inches.

*If you are making your own, you can use any number of houshold wares. Old milk cartons, soda cans (if you tape the sharp edges). Anything which normally holds liquid can be used, as long as you can punch holes in the bottom. Please be careful when working with any sharp objects! Whether containers or tools to punch holes etc. BE CAREFUL!!

Fill your container with soiless mix (or outdoor soil). Moisten the soil with water to begin with.

*As a general rule, seeds should be planted about 3 times as deep as they are wide. As an example (only) if your seed is 1 inch wide at its widest point, you would plant it 3 inches deep. For larger seeds, you will want to soak them in water first, to soften the shell.

Plant the seed and cover with soil.

New seedlings need plenty of water, so be sure to keep them moist. Once planted, most seedlings will begin to emerge in about 7 days to two weeks. Once they emerge, it is best to fertilize the soil. I will go into this more later...

Hmmm, looks pretty easy. This is a good place to start. If you have questions, please ask away. It is hard to post everything, and I am sure to leave you with questions.

Just a quick note I forgot, new seedling generally need 3 to 4 square inches to grow in. Keep this in mind when planting the seeds. In addition, try to keep your plantings uniform, do not mix seeds in the same pot. Some seedlings grow well together, others are competative. It is best as a beginner, to just avoid this problem by not mixing.

More to come...

~ew

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by belladonna23

I usually mix a little sand in with the soil, and it is recommended to put an inch or so of gravel at the bottom of the container to ensure good drainage.

I also usually mist my plants with water because a lot of moisture is absorbed by the leaves. While indoor plants tend to dry out more quikly than outdoor ones, I find it helpful to give them a thorough soaking every few of days as opposed to watering them every day. And keep in mind that some plants (rosemary for example) are particularly prone to root rot.

Feeding is important, but no one really wants to mulch indoors, do they? I've heard that kelp solutions are good fertilizer. I sometimes sprinkle a small amount of coffee grounds before watering my plants.

If you pick the flowers off, they won't go to seed. If you decide you want to dry some, you can hang the plant upside down in a paper bag and the leaves and seeds will fall into the bag as the plant dries out.

Posted by semele

Ok, so what about the little domes and bottoms at the store? are those good for indoor herbs? i ask because we do have a curious cat who would be in the box as soon as we turn our backs. Also what about all the incense we burn? Would it bother the plants? I mean, we burn a lot of it!!

As far as outdoors can the be put into a box and grow well outdoors or do they need to be planted into the ground??

I am so anxious to get started but have so many questions. We bought a bunch of seeds last night. Some basil, chamomile,dill, oregano....we grabbed a couple paks of everything they had. So I know we should plant them all seperate now, that was another question I had.
Thanks for the tips on drying them because that is mostly what we will be doling with them. Even bought us a rack to hold the herbs once we get them dried and ready to use. i did get some cilantro for cooking though as i love the stuff.

Keep the info coming...we need all the help we can get!
Semele

Posted by eaglewolf

>>Ok, so what about the little domes and bottoms at the store? are those good for indoor herbs

They can be perfect for indoor gardens, especially because they allow you to place herbs in different areas of the house, space allowing

>>Also what about all the incense we burn? Would it bother the plants?

We have never had a problem with this. Humidity is more of a factor than air quality.

>>As far as outdoors can the be put into a box and grow well outdoors or do they need to be planted into the ground??

Many wonderful gardens are spotted with planters of all kinds, though I suggest boxes or pots, rather than dome (or other indoor) planters.

>>I am so anxious to get started

As well you should be, gardening can be quite fulfilling and educational.

~ew

Posted by belladonna23

If you want to plant them outside, you can dig a hole big enough for the pot in the ground and bury it, pot and all. Or, you can set the pots on your patio. Then you can bring them back in before the frost!

Planting the herbs in their pots in your garden will keep pests out of your other plants. Sage and lemon grass, especially.

My cat used to love to eat my plants so I used to put a lot of them in hanging baskets. But I do think I've seen little plastic domes that you can use to keep your kitty from getting into them.

I haven't noticed the incense bothering my plants at all, and I burn lots of incense!!

I love cilantro too, and lemon grass. How would I go about growing rose hips? I drink a cup of rose hips tea every day for the vitamin C.

Posted by eaglewolf

How would I go about growing rose hips

mmmm, rose hips...

I have many great tips for cultivating and harvesting rose hips. The best roses for growing hips are rugosas, though many of the "wild" roses are good as well.

Generally, the bigger the rose, the bigger the hip.

Let me know if you plant roses, or if you plan to do so. I can help you out in that department...

If you would just like the "skinny" on harvesting rose hips, let me know and I will post it.

~ew

Posted by belladonna23

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building and don't think planting roses would be feasible at this juncture. Wish I could, though. **sighs dreamily**
Any tips you have on harvesting hips would be much appreciated. Where I will find them is another story...

Posted by semele

Thanks for the tips guys! I think we will plant them after the weekend. May try some of the hanging basket variety to discourage the wildman from nibbling. I will have to search out the best window for them. It may be a good idea to set them out on the porch..or hang them rather as we have a neighborhood cat that our son feeds.
Semele

[Edited by eaglewolf on 02-10-2001 at 12:45 PM]

Lynnaea
February 10th, 2001, 06:35 PM
I also have cats, Semele, and they love to lay in the flower pots and nibble on the herbs. I grow mine under grow lights in the winter, so to the cats it was a nice cozy place. I finally put chicken wire around all the shelves. I have to lift it up to water, but at least the herbs don't have broken stems anymore.

mythril
February 12th, 2001, 01:46 AM
Hi all!

I know topic of this forum is specifically on indoor herbs but Id like to know how to get rid of Aphids without harming them or the plants in a out door herb harden!

And without picking them off one by one (*Grin)

?

mol
February 12th, 2001, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by mythril
Hi all!

I know topic of this forum is specifically on indoor herbs but Id like to know how to get rid of Aphids without harming them or the plants in a out door herb harden!

And without picking them off one by one (*Grin)

?

I started you a new thread in this forum..

ailura
February 12th, 2001, 03:10 PM
My favorite item for creating a planter is the old fashioned two (or larger) liter plastic pop bottles that have a "base".

The base (usually black) has holes in the bottom. If you take the plastic bottle out of the base and cut off part of the "top" of the bottle where the bottle is indented from the cap to about halfway down... then invert it into the black base, you will have an instant greenhouse .. this works best with CLEAR bottles.

Place your soil mixture into the base, add seeds or cuttings and VOILA! Instant greenhouse... very little water is needed as most of it will remain inside the greenhouse. Once the plants have taken root and are growing well, you can remove the clear plastic and allow the plants to grow or transplant them into better containers.

I am going to start with seeds as it is still too early for the regular growing season.

I will include Rosemary in my 'garden'... but I would love to know if anyone has any other good magickal suggestions and their uses.

Thanks

)0( Ailura

Wyrdsister
February 12th, 2001, 08:16 PM
Merry Meet all!

I am curious about how much humidity herbs need to grow - or in my case, stay alive. ;)

I have had wonderful success with starting basil from seeds, but just when you think they have a great start, they keel over and dry up the first time you turn your back!! Are all herbs this sensitive to humidity, or just basil?

Any suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated! I'm determined to grow my own herbs! :)

Thank you all,

Wyrdsister

belladonna23
February 12th, 2001, 08:32 PM
This web site has tips for specific herbs, broken down one by one.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/growingherbs.html

I understand all to well the low humidity problem. I have a humidifier in every room, and still it's rather arid in here....

Wyrdsister
February 13th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Thanks Belladonna! I've now bookmarked that link for future reading. :)

Wyrdsister

Lynnaea
February 14th, 2001, 02:52 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ailura
[B]My favorite item for creating a planter is the old fashioned two (or larger) liter plastic pop bottles that have a "base".

The base (usually black) has holes in the bottom. If you take the plastic bottle out of the base and cut off part of the "top" of the bottle where the bottle is indented from the cap to about halfway down... then invert it into the black base, you will have an instant greenhouse ..

Wow, great idea, I am always looking for new ways to use discarded stuff. Green witch that I am.

I use gallon clear platic milk jugs as mini greenhouses for newly transplanted tomatoes, but it works for any plant early in the Spring when the weather is not settled and the nights get cool. I cut the bottom off and place one over each plant, if it is windy you can put a stick in the ground and tie the handle to it. You can leave the top off of the jug for ventilation, close it at night.

PaganKattGrrl
February 15th, 2001, 06:04 AM
mm all!
THis is really about indoor gardens, I had a question about
a plant starter kit I saw at Walmart.. comes with everything, little 'soil discs' and all, little 'Greenhouse' lids etc. My question is Are there some herbs that would like this better than others?
I tried to grow some last spring but they died.. :(
I wasn't doing the green house thing and I thought it might help. Would I have to water them at all since they'd be in a green-house??
I'd really like to start a indoor herbal garden, but maybe I'll just have to get starts of herbs instead of growing from scratch :) I've got 2 silly cats, and I need to remind myself to water them with sticky notes because I get busy and forget :)

Sorry if I'm rambling.. it's 4 am and I'm getting sleepy!

Roberta

mol
February 15th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by PaganKattGrrl
mm all!
THis is really about indoor gardens, I had a question about
a plant starter kit I saw at Walmart.. comes with everything, little 'soil discs' and all, little 'Greenhouse' lids etc. My question is Are there some herbs that would like this better than others?

Roberta

Mywife and I actually have been wondering the same thing. My instinct was not to buy the wal-mart kit. I dont really know what to do...we bought quite a bit of seeds...but we are still unsure on how we want to grow them.

Lynnaea
February 15th, 2001, 09:19 PM
A friend gave me a few of those Wallmart indoor gardens with herb seeds for a Yule present. I have always had problems starting parsley outside, so that is the first one I tried. It came with 8 peat discs, according to the directions, I soaked the the discs in water with a couple of drops of liquid plant food, they expanded to one inch high like it said. I then planted the seeds with tweezers. I placed the mini-greenhouse under the grow lights and waited, it took about 3 weeks to germinate. Oh, plant when the moon is waxing, it does work better. No, I didn't have to water at all, but I kept checking in case the little discs dried out.

Out of the 8 I have 4 parsley plants, about one inch high as of now so I am about to transplant them into a bigger pot. I also replanted the discs that didn't germinate. Transplanting will be just popping the disc into soil, the roots don't get disturbed.
A couple of days ago I went back to Wallmart and bought some more discs to germinate the rest of my plants and am waiting for the new moon to get started.
I think they will be sucessful for hard to germinate seeds, all the mints, parsley, and such. Also should be good for the really tiny seeds that get lost when you try to plant outside.