PDA

View Full Version : Faerieworlds in Oregon?!

dragoncrone
February 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
:fpraise: Send good vibes - I have applied as a vendor at this festival. It's in mid-July at a magical space outside Eugene, Oregon, and is one of the biggest fantasy gatherings in the western US.
And yes, they have dragon folk too, not just faerie.
Fingers X'd!!

dragoncrone
February 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
The Dragoncrone is going to Faerieworlds Festival!! :boing: :boing:

lightdragon
February 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
yeah.:boing: :boing: :boing:

Too bad i won`t be able to attend.:atantrum:

PeatBog
February 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I haven't been to that one. Is it in Veneta? Have fun. :wave:

Trithemius
February 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I just checked the festival's website and Brian and Wendy Froud are going to be there signing books and artwork. Wish I could go.

It looks like a lot of fun, I'm sure you'll have a blast!

~Owl~
February 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Wow...I didn't realize it would make such a news splash here, but being an Oregonian myself, of course I'll be there. I plan to make a full day of it, as there is much I want to know and learn from the experience as much as I can.

I live on the Central Coast of of Oregon, not on the beach, more inland...you could say I live inland...more along the Lincoln City Area actually, if anyone knows where that is...

I do love Eugene, and Veneta. The annual Country Fair is a blast!!!
The thing I love about Eugne is that it's like walking straight into the Haight-Ashbury District of old San Fransisco from the '70s again. At least it was, for the LONGEST time. But then it became a buyers market, and people started snatching up all the old Victorian homes that have ben here for 200-300 years or more. And then started renting them at OUTRAGEOUS prices, for they knew that "Mummy and Daddy" would just HAVE to pay for it if thry wanted their precious children to get a decent education at OSU in Eugene. Home of Hayward Field, and Steve Prefontaine...etc...so, it's an icon city.

Myself, I think Portland is disgusting. It does have some nice areas, but not many.

I still prefer coastal Oregon to anywhere else in the USA, really.

Although, I AM looking forward to going to the Festival, as they do have SO many things here to do each season. Saturday Market,( A rally nice classy flea

In south Eugene, in the Fox Hollow District, the Raptor Center, where they rehabilitate owls, hawks, and other birds of prey.

Along the coast, there's the Sea Lion Caves, the Oregon Coast Aquarium, haven't been there yet, but would LOVE to go someday...

Ahhhhh....I LOVE Oregon!!! Except for the rain and such...but then again, without all the rain, we wouldn't have all this beautiful greenery, so...

Theres
February 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
But then it became a buyers market, and people started snatching up all the old Victorian homes that have ben here for 200-300 years or more.
yeah Eugene is pretty cool. i like Portland too, but here in Salem NOTHING happens!
but there's nothing like SF in the 60's... that was a special combination of time and place.

however i have to point out that not only were there no western-style homes of any kind in Eugene 200-300 years ago, but the Victorian era itself is only a little over 150 years old.

dragoncrone
March 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Wow...I didn't realize it would make such a news splash here, but being an Oregonian myself, of course I'll be there. I plan to make a full day of it, as there is much I want to know and learn from the experience as much as I can.
I live on the Central Coast of of Oregon, not on the beach, more inland...you could say I live inland...more along the Lincoln City Area actually, if anyone knows where that is...
Ahhhhh....I LOVE Oregon!!! Except for the rain and such...but then again, without all the rain, we wouldn't have all this beautiful greenery, so...

We've been hearing about Faerieworlds for about 4 years now - every vendor from Oregon who comes to the Whole Earth Festival in Davis, CA in May, passes out postcards and flyers. I am SO EXCITED to be participating!!

We love Oregon - my son & his 'tribe' - family and friends - live in Grants Pass so we visit often. We're stuck here in Woodland, which is by Sacramento...in the dry hotter than hell Central California valley, AACK!!

dragoncrone
July 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Two days in a meadow of wonder surrounded by woodlands, entertained by passing faeries, fauns, demons and semi-naked people, listening to groovy live music. Such is the Faerieworlds Festival in Central Oregon.

Did I have a good time? Well, first of all, I didn't really go there to have a good time. I got a booth there to market the book, and the attendance numbers put out by the PR people were impressive: upward of 3,000 expected. Addressing that, I have two words: No Way. There was a healthy number of people there but not what I would describe as a 'crowd.'

These are purely observations based on other festivals, not necessarily a criticism of FW:
Guidance getting to the right place and positioning booths was spotty, so first-time attendees got bounced around a bit. AFTER booths were set up, a FW organizer came around and told us that, OBTW, there couldn't be any 'open spaces' between booths...Ever try to move an entire booth to the left about a foot? Lucky us, with leftover canvas and bulldog clips.
Other than that, I don't recall anyone coming by to verify vendor attendance or ask if anyone was having problems.
Having the booth fire-proofed is a requirement in the application, but we noticed no one ever came around to verify that fire retardant had been used.
We opted not to have electricity, but the people on both sides of us ponied up $40 extra, and had a hell of a time getting the power to stay on. Plus, one of our neighbors had some kind of additional hassle with another vendor.

On the whole, met some neat people, saw some far-out costumes, heard some great music, bartered for some cool goods, and sold some books. However, the bottom line dictates that I probably won't go back.