PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft and the like

Jolixte
February 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Why are 'kill and level' mmorpgs so popular? I'm actually being serious here; I'm curious. What does it activate in our psyches? What human desire does it fulfill? :)

Against The Tide
February 5th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Lots of reasons:

Escape from reality - in the real world. I work my ass off and I get paid much less than a guy who does much less work for me, just because he's well connected and sleazed his way into management - online its a level playing feild. Its about time invested, hardwork and skill the things that really should matter in the real world, but obviously don't - Also, there is the tangible progress. - When you ding you are stronger, better than before. Its good to see and be reassured that work = progress, cas in my life it sure as hel doesn't always feel like it.

Plus.. wow is wacky and fun, I love to role play and I like meeting new people... my guildies are a bunch of fine people from all walks of life, for such an odd bunch we get along really well, and i love that. I love how we can combine our individual player strengths to over come the evil dungeons of Azeroth... its like fight club, A guy came to WoW for the first time, his ass was a wad of cookie dough. After a few weeks, he was carved out of wood.

TheWomanMonster
February 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah...
escape from reality, kinda like 'playing' a movie.
Because you can't kill that much stuff in real life without reprecussions?
Real life doesn't have such good graphics? *laughs*
Um...
Honestly I can't speak for anyone but myself...
and I don't know WHY I like it so much.

Maybe it's the power trip and ego boost I get from being so damn god like on these kinds of games...
*giggles*

:D

Against The Tide
February 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM
And pwning 14 year olds and making them run crying to mummy is always a productive use of a professional 'respected' 23 year old's time....

Jolixte
February 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM
And pwning 14 year olds and making them run crying to mummy is always a productive use of a professional 'respected' 23 year old's time....

LOL. You rock.

Sitalique
February 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
For me it's escape from real life and the chance to pummel something.

Because in real life they really do frown on the whole beating a person to a pulp thing.

Oh, and my game is EQ :)

RainInanna
February 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I wish more people would deal with stress and violence through non-harmful means like computer games. People seem to need an outlet!

TheRiverDaughter
February 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I play WoW because of the people I play with and because it's just darn good fun. My husband and I both play, though I'm as much of a roleplayer as any other kind of gamer (I had a character in BWL but not Naxx, for those of you who are WoWers). My characters have personality and participate in stories both in game and on the forums, and that's a huge creative outlet for me. I also *love* exploring and new content - I've been running around in the WoW expansion fishing and cooking and just generally having a good time soaking in the new bits of the world.

My husband, much like Against the Tide, plays because he is frustrated with work and can actually do something that takes skill and effort and shows *progress* when he is working on WoW. He also plays a "nontraditional" class role (that is more supported now, fortunately) and enjoys the challenge of making people go "huh?" when they realize that he's doing something that most people of his class don't/can't do.

There's that aspect too... <grins> but then I've not done much PVP since before christmas. I was definitely needing a stress outlet then though - graduation and planning and craziness.

((and for the pure curiosity factor - I'm on Feathermoon (Alliance) and The Scryers (Horde) ))

CoolJ
February 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The "kill and level" aspect of the games isn't the major focus of me, what people usually call "grinding" ... I play the games because they're unworldly.... I can be amazing creatures, fly, shoot fireballs from my hands... There's so many people to talk to and play with... and help.. I especially like helping people.. . I also like a good battle, and it's getting harder for me to keep track of what goes on in "Twitchy" games like first-person shooters, so games like WOW give a good level playing field.. still have to use strategy and think fast... but at least I won't get dizzy or killed by crack-smoking monkeys with cheats :lol:

redbint
February 6th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Absolutely obsessed with WoW - just love it, when I'm not working or on here or out I'm plugged in battling some frostmane troll or something!!!!!Good harmless fun!!! Until the server goes down!!!

morningglory
February 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I play Rpg's So I don't Have to Deal with Real Life Drama's That People tend to think They have to have or start in Real life just to be noticed.
In game see, I get the comfort of friendships, when drama begins Theres this cool Little function our computers have that can turn that off and never have to deal with the stresses of this. :lol:

I pledge to live stress free.... Has worked for about 2 years now!:)

Against The Tide
February 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
He also plays a "nontraditioenjoys the challenge of making people go "huh?" when they realize that he's doing something that most people of his class don't/can't do.

Im all curious now... what is he?

TheRiverDaughter
February 6th, 2007, 02:50 PM
A tanking paladin.

Has tanked, to date, three of the bosses in ZG (before BC released), Onyxia (before BC released), and now has tanked the first two instances in BC (Hellfire Ramparts and Blood Furnace) with little or no problem at all. Our MC/BWL raid was kind of odd about having him around though, and he got into trouble for not taking some of the set drops because his own gear was better (they told him he was hoarding DKP). But they got used to it, even if they didn't let him tank and he had to find other places to do it.

As my hunter, I don't mind much either way - warrior or paladin or beartank. As my shadowmage (pewpew priest ftw!), I'd rather have the paladin, hands down. He's a big fan of having me around too, because with vampiric embrace, I end up healing AND donating free mana. He and I can duo our way through just about everything with no downtime.

Questing group of shadowpriest, warlock, and tankadin results in much pain for bad guys too.

jodarius
February 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Lol, I love just pwnsaucing some allie piece of fluff, my big red pet tearing them down as they run pannicking, ah the thrill of brining your enemy down.

Plus there is some awesome art to it, and some creative story at times.

johenn123
February 6th, 2007, 03:13 PM

and I am one of those 14 year olds :p

Against The Tide
February 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Your the exception to the rule ;)

Tankadin? That works quite well. Especially in a 5 man.. you want the heals, buffs AND a tanking char all in one slot.

My main is a warrior. Lv 65... Poor warriors. Even at lv 70 we are going to be nerfed characters... I will play him to the end and for RP which I do heavily. I also have a lv 36 lock, 32 priest, 46 mage, 11 paladin and (not had time to play yet) a lv 1 draen shammy...

I like unconventional specs aswel. My warrior is nurse spec. He'll charge around putting plasters on and serving hot drinks :)

Malcolm
February 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I play, and I have absolutely no idea why I find it amusing. I go through periods were I can't stand the game and swear it off for a week or so...but I inevitably start playing again.

Then again, playing a mage is really awesome "HUGE FREAKIN DAMAGE NUMBERS" :lol:

srsly, pew pew!!!

Against The Tide
February 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Druid
Rogue
Priest
Hunter
Shaman
Mage
Paladin
Warlock = n00b mode

Warriors = hardcore mode.

TheRiverDaughter
February 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I've never really gotten into a Warrior - don't much like melee classes really. But then again... *raises hand* my name is Laur, and I play World of Altcraft.

64 Shadowpriest, 61 Hunter, 36 Mage, 24 Priest, 22 Rogue, 22 Druid, 19 Shaman, 13 Druid, 13 Warrior, 6 Hunter (draenei), 5 Warlock (blood elf), (and countless others that have gotten deleted before level 15)

I'm a ranged class preference - can you tell? And when DH is tanking, he can buff, but not so much on healing anything but himself (which is nice, as is his "i have less than 20% health so I take 50% less damage talent). All in all, though, it's a lot of fun.

Renny
February 6th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I like rpg's

I just like fantasy environments and creatures. I love the mage class. And they have GNOMES and they are so cute and badass!

I'm Arysta, gnome mage of argent dawn. She is 60 and I'm going to get her to 70 with my boyfriend. I also have Renny, a 61 gnome warrior

Diashto
February 7th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Why are 'kill and level' mmorpgs so popular? I'm actually being serious here; I'm curious. What does it activate in our psyches? What human desire does it fulfill? :)

There was actually a study done to answer just this question:

http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/

It's based on Everquest, which was the most popular MMORPG by a long shot, before WoW came around, but the basic tenets are the same.

The study has a LOT of info to try and digest.. but it boils down to this: Psychologically, the acquisition of rewards is, well, rewarding. Most games let you get your first level-up within one or two kills or quests completed, then make you work harder for a better goal (levelling from 3 to 4 is more rewarding than 2 to 3, for example, because at level 4 you get spells!).

Its the constant reward of advancement at first, then its working hard to get the gear upgrades so that you can advance faster and/or easier, and so on and so forth.

I was an EQ addict. Now i can go 2-3 weeks without even logging in. Sure, i miss it sometimes, but I enjoy my interaction with real people too.

Lyrien
February 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
If you're asking more of a 'why do people play these games' kind of a question as opposed to ' why do people play kill and level games', then I'd have to say that it's because of distraction or escape as many people have already mentioned. If you are asking why people play kill and level games, that I have no idea; they are too incredibly boring for me. DAoC is a prime example of kill and level. WoW and EQ are quest based and therefore have more interesting content.

Interestingly, I've always played healer classes; I don't really kill anything. What does that say about me or that type of player? Personally, I play only for distraction. It's not an escape for me (it used to be), as I no longer get involved in anything. (ex: guild politics/socials, raids, long questing, uhh..groups...lol) Basically a couple nights per week my husband and I log on, run around and goof off.

Against The Tide
February 7th, 2007, 11:57 AM
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/02/world_of_housecraft.jpg :boing:

jodarius
February 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Arg so many allies. Why oh why?

JKing tho, I love horde, played a couple ally, dont like it, the people, no offense, dont seem as fun as the horde side.

Plus I've seen alot more allies ganking in outland than i have horde.