PDA

View Full Version : Studying more than just what we reconstruct?

Morr
February 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM
As Recons, do you stay strictly within your own path's spirituality study? Or do you make a point to study other paths and cultures for extra fun and knowlege?

For example, while I am on a strictly Irish path, I dont stay on an Irish Reconstructionist study. I have begun studying a bit of Druidry, Egyptian culture and ancient religion, Thelemite and Ceramonial magic (Aleister Crowley), Herbology and Kitchen Witchery, and Voodoo (my husband is a Voodoo priest, so I am ""automatically"" a part of his Voodoo House, though I am not initiated and have no intentions to be initiated. As the wife of the Papa of the house, I am an ""honorary"" member, so to speak LOL).

I love studying other paths, just for the heck of it. There is a fire inside me that burns to learn about more ancient knowlege and spirituality beyond my own path.

While I know I AM an Irish Recon and very happy with my Deities and worship, I feel that learning and drawing from other religions and paths and just opening my mind and broadening my horizons contributes SO MUCH to my spirituality, even if I do not practice them.

Haerfest Leah
February 6th, 2007, 11:30 PM
If I don't stay stictly within my path I'm still close to it or the stuff I study can be related. I'm interested in Kitchen/Cottege witchery but since I honor Frigg & I also love to cook German & Celtic dishes, that's related to my path in my book. I have an interest in Celtic lore and Druidry. I don't count that as too far off my path either.

At the moment I don't really study much else. Between the family & college I don't have time for anything else.

Rick
February 7th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I've never sought after any other path, but in the pursuit of knowledge, I've always followed wherever it has taken me.

Gyda
February 7th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I'll read whatever grabs my fancy.Most of what I read is related to Norse/Anglo-Saxon though. Currnetly I'm rereading Gods and Myth of Northern Europe. I find reading about other paths others ways of thinking helps me to understand my own.

Gyda

_Banbha_
February 7th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I don't study other modern pagan paths. For instance, I'm very interested in Green Witchcraft but am not interested at all in the Wiccan aspects in many modern books and perspectives on-line. If I see it, I stripe as much as I can away and really have to go back to more or less original sources. That's just one example. I've nothing against Wicca per say and have learned a bit lurking in Paths but it's not a passion for me to learn what neo-Pagans are doing. You can't help but glean a lot of info in general threads anyway. Other Recon and Traditionalist paths interest me because we've similar interests and outlooks.

As far as history, myth, folklore, anthropology, archaeology...I find studies of different ancient cultures in general very interesting. If something interests me I'll read about it, go there and find out more. I've a passion for medieval stuff now for a while. That could easily be put into Irish Recon but I'm interested in Britain, France and the rest of Europe as well. I love the art. I like good historical fiction about it too. I've been going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Cloisters (The Unicorn Tapestries!) to learn more. I do wish they had some Sheela-na-Gigs though. 8O

Twinkle
February 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'm a Hellenic Recon..and most of my focus is on Ancient Greece...but I do delve into Roman history as well...only because I find it fascinating.

The Greek gods call to me, but the love of history knows no bounds with me.
:viking:

I've also done some preliminary research on other paths. I've looked hard at Discordianism in particular. I also have done some very light research on Thelema...only because people that I like practice these two religions, and I wanted to know more about it.

My heavy duty studying is all on Hellenic Reconstruction. There's not too much time for anything else.

Arion
February 9th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Although I'ma Hellene at heart, I'm also in love with ancient Egyptian culture and religion. I find it very beautiful and interesting, although I'm not drawn to it in a spiritual way, just for interest's sake. I'm interested in Middle Eastern cultures, Hinduism, and some Celtic and Norse beliefs. I like learning about religion in general, even the major ones, although the only path I really relate to is Hellenic/Greek Paganism. I've practiced Wicca and got into Feri Witchcraft, and they were really interesting, although I've realized I'm better suited to Hellenism.

David19
February 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm not exactly sure which religion is for me - Sumerian or Hellenic or Kemetic, i'm still trying to decide.

But, i do like studying other religions and beliefs and magical traditions, not only just to learn about them, but i could pick up some tips.

I really like learning about a lot of Middle Eastern religions and cultures (Sumerian and Babylonian being the ones i'm interested as a path for me), Celtic, African religions, South American (Incan, etc), Mesoamerican, Norse, Anglo-Saxon, Canaanite, Buddhism and Hinduism.

I also like studying and learning about various forms of Judaism and Christianity (especially early Christianity), and i'd like to learn a bit more about Islam too.

Yeah, i have a lot of interests, lol!.