PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft

Sketch
February 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Just wanted to know what everyone thought of WOW because I maybe thinking of getting it... The only that puts me off is the payment that you have to give every month. It looks really good, how big memory do you need and what is the best graphics card etc... Thanks xx

:woot: :viking:

Kalika
February 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Love it. :)

There are quite a few of us on here who play it, apparently, as you can probably see from the "What's on your mind" thread being constantly derailed by Jodarius and me arguing about Horde vs. Alliance. It's all in good fun though. :lol:

ETA: I think it takes 3.5 GB of memory - you need to have a minimum of 512 RAM. (I have ONLY 512 right now, and it runs fine) Graphics card.... is out of my area of expertise. :p

(Alliance on Hydraxis for me)

TheRiverDaughter
February 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I really enjoy Warcraft - I've been playing for about a year and a half. It's tons of fun, and you can really do lots of different things there (: I play on an RP server, and that's a large part of my playstyle, but you can be content/level oriented (PVE) or player vs. player combat oriented (PVP) if you like.

Most MMORPG's have an online playing fee - I pay every 3 or 6 months for my WoW subscription so I can get it a little cheaper. It's part of the deal though, really, for these high performance games.

As far as computer specs: it depends on if you want to play World of Warcraft standalone, or if you want to play the expansion (with the new races and new content) Burning Crusade. (the monthly fee is the same)

You need about 10GB of space if you want to play with the expansion. 512 or 768 GB of RAM should be fine. I have a 1.9 GHz processor and I have some (but not too much) problem and only in major cities. Graphics cards are not my specialty, but I have an 8x 128 bit ATI card and I dont have issues. If you want to run it at the tiptop of the graphics, you'll need a pretty good card - if you just want to enjoy the game with alright graphics, a decent (but not OMG!) card should be fine.

You can check out the technical support forum at www.worldofwarcraft.com if you want more info on computer hardware stuff.

Hope that helps!
-SF
(Alliance on Feathermoon, Horde on The Scryers)

Against The Tide
February 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
WoW is two years old now so you wont need the latest gaming PC to run it, mine happily chugs along well enough. Get the free 10 day trial of the game via the games website and I think the specs are there too.

A dialup is well fine to play WoW, but come patch day it can be heart breaking - so I recomend broadband as a minimum spec.

Kalika
February 16th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Heh. I like the tips too... especially the one about taking everything in moderation... even WoW. :D

I agree that you'll probably want DSL or Broadband if you don't have it..... otherwise the patches can be a serious pain.

Greybird
February 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
World of Warcraft is very hardware-friendly. Its art direction took a slightly exagerated, surreal dirction that doesn't push a whole lot of polygons or high-resolution textures.

Anyway, make this easy on yourself. Go here (https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/index.htm) and you can download a free 10-day trial of the game. You're limited in a few things (you can't use all the chat channels or the auction house, and you're limited to a certain level), but you can check out how the game looks, runs, and what it offers for free.

Later, if you decide to play, you can buy the game at the store (only $20 now), enter the code on your account to 'unlock' it and keep right on playing without having to reinstall or change characters.

Kalika
February 17th, 2007, 10:49 AM
World of Warcraft is very hardware-friendly. Its art direction took a slightly exagerated, surreal dirction that doesn't push a whole lot of polygons or high-resolution textures.

Anyway, make this easy on yourself. Go here (https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/index.htm) and you can download a free 10-day trial of the game. You're limited in a few things (you can't use all the chat channels or the auction house, and you're limited to a certain level), but you can check out how the game looks, runs, and what it offers for free.

Later, if you decide to play, you can buy the game at the store (only $20 now), enter the code on your account to 'unlock' it and keep right on playing without having to reinstall or change characters.

Actually, you can purchase the game right online if you have a debit or credit card. ;) And now the BC upgrade too. :p

ShadowcatX
February 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
I love it. I just got it Friday and I'm an addict.

Keldra
February 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
I love WoW. I've been on it for about sixteen months, on one of the European RPPvP servers, and was a Burning Crusade beta tester. I don't get a lot of time to play but with things like the rested xp mechanic (when you leave your character logged off in an inn or city, they level twice as fast afterwards for an amount of xp proportionate to the amount of time they were "resting"), it is a really easy game to pick up and put down as time allows.

As for the monthly fee, I think of it this way -- one meal and two rounds of drinks for two people, in one of my favourite reasonably upscale restaurants, costs the same as six months of WoW subscription. It's bargain entertainment. ;)

Against The Tide
February 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
I've been on it for about sixteen months, on one of the European RPPvP servers
O RLY? Do tell. :)

Amelserru_halqu
February 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM

I suggest that you buy the $5 fourteen day trial DVD because, well there aren't 6 CDs to put in and take out.

inkywitch
February 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
I've been playing for a year and a half for so. I currently have a high level priest on Barthilas (NEED A GOOD GUILD! :D)

Gwenhwyfar
February 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM
DING! 50! :))

lol

Keldra
February 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
O RLY? Do tell. :)

I'm on The Venture Co., (slowly) re-levelling my tauren shaman that I used to play on Nordrassil. :) Her name's Ardani. It doesn't help that I keep getting distracted by my blood elf priest though. ;)

Against The Tide
February 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
I was thinking bout Venture co. But went Horde on Darkmoon Faire and Alliance on Scarsheild Legion. It would be cool to get a Mysticwicks guild on the European servers.

AstralMoth
February 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
This game is really good fun. Moreso when you reach the level cap and start raiding/arena's.
So far i have 2x 70's on Argent Dawn and a whole bunch of 20-50 alts on horde and alliance on various rppvp servers.
Anything better than a 1.8gig cpu, a Ge-force 5200 and 1 gig of ram will run the game really smooth. I found the 512mb to 1gig of ram jump made more of a difference than swapping my aging 5200 Gf for a newer 6600Gts.
This game really does take up a lot your time though, its scarily addictive and for the 8 a month you pay for it you get a lot more entertainment than you would spending that on a DvD or CD every month.
If the Euro Mw guild ever kicks up send me a PM and I'd be happy to join up and help some of the newer players along :)

Kalika
February 22nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
An MW guild.... :)

Against The Tide
February 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM
Yeppers

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=151627