PDA

View Full Version : Student Intros

LadyAriana
February 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
I should have the first lesson edited and ready to go by tomorrow night, in the meanwhile tell me a little about yourself and why you chose to learn Italian.

Keldra
February 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Looking forward to seeing the course start! A little about myself... let's see... I'm 21, I live in England, and I'm a non-Wiccan witch with a passion for Tarot and trance work. Lately I've felt a pull toward the Egyptian pantheon and I've started research in that area. I am Anglo-Italian and my father's from Florence. I'm interested in learning Italian because it's half of my heritage, and it's a side I'd like to have a better understanding of. :)

LadyAriana
February 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Looking forward to seeing the course start! A little about myself... let's see... I'm 21, I live in England, and I'm a non-Wiccan witch with a passion for Tarot and trance work. Lately I've felt a pull toward the Egyptian pantheon and I've started research in that area. I am Anglo-Italian and my father's from Florence. I'm interested in learning Italian because it's half of my heritage, and it's a side I'd like to have a better understanding of. :)

Did your father ever teach you Italian? Did you speak it around the house as a child, or was it a strickly English language?

Keldra
February 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Did your father ever teach you Italian? Did you speak it around the house as a child, or was it a strickly English language?

No, our house was strictly English-language. :) My father left Italy at the age of four or five and was made to speak English in his home over here, so by the time my parents had me he'd been speaking it for some 30+ years. I did pick up some Italian from my grandmother and my aunt, who lives in Rome, but we saw them infrequently, so it was little fragments of the language rather than proper lessons.

LadyAriana
February 23rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
And more than likely you probably picked up more Roman dialect than italian proper, especially from your grandmother. Italian wasn't enforced in schools till about 40 years ago, so a lot of the older Italians speak dialect more than proper Italian.

welcome aboard

TheRiverDaughter
February 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Hi! I'm Laur/SF, and I'm really excited about this class. I have lots of other language experience (10+ years of French including a stay in Paris, 2 years of German) that is going rusty with disuse in my brain, but I love studying languages and I think this will be fun.

My father's family is Italian (I'm 3rd generation American born), but are not Italian speakers - just more cultural stuff <grins> I spent a week in Italy when I was in high school - touring Rome, Florence, Venice and a few places in between - so I have some experience with the language, but not much.

Anywho - that's me <waves>

twilightzonegrl
February 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hello, Im 15, and im learning French in school right now, i thought learning Italian would be cool as well...

purple dragon
March 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
I'm 16, I live in the UK, go to baording school.
I took French at GCSE level (and got an A), studied Japanese for 3 years, Latin for 3 years and was taught a bit of Cantonese. I want to learn italian one to add to my collection and two because my dad is moving to Italy when I leave school and so it makes sense to learn the lingo before I go

Peter_Parker
March 5th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I am 22 and a software engineer by profession. I want to learn Italian because i might get to stay in Italy for a year or two because of the new branch my company is planning to open there some-time in the near future. So even if i can learn rudimentary Italian, it will be of great help, you know. And in case i do not go there, i will always be nice to learn a new language, anyway. :)

Xirian
April 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Even though I haven't been accepted into this class yet, I am still going to post here, just in case. lol

I plan to visit Italy next year with my fiance. We hopefully will marry before we leave and that will be our honeymoon.

I have been fascinated with the italian history, culture and language for many years now. I have been teaching myself and have a friend who lives in Crema teaching me as well. She is very kind. I read italian to her and answer questions, but I want to cover all my basis. She knows her grammar, but does not always know why something is one way and not the other. She is fairly fluent in English, but not enough to teach me grammar reasoning. So it is difficult for her to explain things to me. We teach each other. She is very good with English and only has a few things to learn, but she has her hands full with me. lol

I can read italian better than I can speak it or construct sentences. That is why I am wanting to take italian.

I am 33 years old and I live in Iowa and work as an at-home Medical Transcriptionist.