PDA

View Full Version : Link: Ancient Greek Buddhists

BenSt
February 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Hey all,

As part of my foray on Wikipedia, I came across soemthing I for one had never known about. This is about the descendants of the Greek Macedonians under Alexander who were left in Asia near India. Its a fascinating read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Greek_Kingdom

Hope you enjoy :).

Tobias

Glory
February 24th, 2007, 12:51 AM
That is interesting. Thanks for the link.

Cerulean_damselfly
February 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Wowee---I can tell friends who might love Greek and Buddhist traditions separately that there was a cross over at one time and place!

Thanks much....

Cerulean_Damselfly

el123
February 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I would strongly recommend this DVD to anyone interested in any religion associated with India.
"The Story of India" has a whole chapter on Buddhism. Also talks about the meeting of King Chandraguptha with Alexandra the Great when Chandraguptha was a young boy and how this influenced him. Shows the IndoGreek coins & much more...:hyper:
It also shows many places of significance like the very spot the Buddha gained enlightenment, Where he had his first sermon Dhummakchuckkappavathana Sutra, The caves he lived in...etc.
It also talks alot about Hinduism and other religions. PLUS also about Sanskrit and its links with other languages.

I would highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=760792&SearchID=8158449&SearchRefineID=14557564

"Description
Acclaimed writer and historian, Michael Wood’s ‘ten thousand year epic’ uncovers the fabulous sights, sounds and dazzling achievements of the world’s oldest and most influential civilisation. In this captivating six-part adventure, Wood chronicles the history of the subcontinent, the incredible richness and diversity of its peoples, cultures and landscapes, the intense drama of its past and the originality and continuing relevance of its ideas.
From the deserts of Turkmenistan to the Khyber Pass and the plains of Pakistan, from the Himalayas to the palm-fringed shores of Kerala, Wood discovers a land whose past is almost unimaginably rich and brings to life some of the most momentous and moving events in world history."

mouseytalons
February 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Wow! Thanks for the interresting link!