PDA

View Full Version : some people should pay better attention to the signs...

Theres
April 11th, 2002, 03:03 PM
in 1912, a young Englishman named Frank Tower made a career decision.
like many young men of that day, he was going to go away to sea. so he went down and registered at the nearest 'White Star Lines' office, and shortly after he recieved his sailing orders.
what luck! his first assignment would be on White Star's newly-completed flagship, the oppulent and unsinkable Titanic! feeling that he had stumbled onto a good thing, Frank Tower sailed away from his homeland for the first time on April 10, 1912.
just a few days later, the 882' long, 46,000 ton Titanic was on the bottom of the Atlantic, taking 1522 people with her. only 705 survived. one of those 705 was Frank Tower.
as traumatic as the Titanic affair was, Tower figured that the odds of something like that happening again were astronomical. hey, lightening never strikes twice, right? so, after a brief period of recovery, he decided to sign on with the Canadian Pacific Line, and was promptly assigned duty on the 'Empress of Ireland', doing the North Atlantic run between Liverpool and Quebec City and ferrying thousands of immigrants to the 'new world'.
but on May 29th, 1914, while sailing through a heavy fog in the St. Lawrence River, the 8 year old Liner was rammed by the 'Storstad', an Norweigian steamer. the grand old Empress sank almost immediately, and 1024 people died with her. next to the Titanic two years earlier, this was the worst sea disaster to date.
but Frank Tower was found among the survivors.
what more did this guy need to see before he realized that maybe the life of a seaman was not for him?
he made his way back home to England, and probably spent a little time to ponder his future at sea. but surely the worst that could POSSIBLY happen had already occured. it's not like Neptune had a personal dislike for this poor guy.
so he made his decision, and went down to the waterfront in Liverpool to sign up with the Cunard Line. it was the war years, and Cunard was happy to have an experienced hand like Frank Tower. so they issued his orders, and Frank happily boarded his new ship... the 'Lusitania'!
and, as we all know, the Lusitania was torpedoed by a German U-boat off the southern coast of Ireland on the afternoon of May 7, 1915. death toll 1198, NOT including Frank Tower. he had made it again!
at this point i lose all account of Frank Tower's life, but 3744 people had died tragically around him. hopefully, he took the hint!

but what would you do if, knowing the history, you found yourself shipping out with this guy? would you get off the boat?
i might just chain myself to his wrist, since it seems like this man was unsinkable! (Molly Brown got NOTHIN' on this guy!)

Earthcup
April 11th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Become fast friends with him until I could get to shore ASAP!

LaughingWolf
April 11th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Get friend with him indeed! And get OUT as soon as possible.

I knew that story, since I'm from Quebec City and that we all of course learned in school of the Empress of Ireland's tragedy.