PDA

View Full Version : Officials order pet dogs killed in part of China

Catiana
March 7th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I think we may have already talked about this, but three cases of rabies in the last year with 1 death, so they're going to kill all of the dogs, that make sense, NOT!!. This sucks.

All pet dogs will be killed in a district of the southwestern Chinese city of Chongqing as part of an anti-rabies campaign, the government said.

Residents of the city's Wanzhou district have until March 15 to hand over their dogs, according to a directive seen Wednesday on the district's official Web site.

Hong Kong's South China Morning Post newspaper on Wednesday quoted a Wanzhou health official, Ran Hua, as saying the move would combat rabies in the area. He said three cases have been reported within the last year, and the paper said one person died last month.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0307ChinaDogs07-ON.html

TuathaSidhe
March 7th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I am in now way agreeing to what they are doing, there are always better options for things like this if people would just stop and think about it.

However, part of me can understand why they would panic. 3 outbreaks and 1 death in a year. I am 25 and there has only been one case of rabies in a raccoon and no deaths since ive been alive. Some places in North America havent seen rabies outbreaks in going on 50 or more years, so compared to over there, its a huge difference.

Again, not saying that what they are doing is right...if the gov would get off their butts and find a solution for the whole problem and not just a quick fix it now until it happens again thing, they wouldnt have the problems with it like they do now.

Communism at its finest...:/

Cindlady2
March 8th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Dogs aren't the only carrier of rabies and if the dogs are pets chances are slim of them getting it, even if they don't vaccinate like we do. I can see taking down wild dogs at this point, but not pets. And how many people will let their dog go to take it's chances rather than have it shot by police?
Bad idea.

TuathaSidhe
March 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Oh I know, and I understand that, but, mass histera can cause alot of problems.

I guess I just think, on one hand if they would help make it easier for some of these people to take care of their dogs, then they wouldnt have this problem to begin with. Like I said, I can see the reason for freaking out, but not the reason for the action that is being taken. :/

But then thats getting into a whole nother topic about the gov. over there and that might have to go into PP..a place I tend to stay out of mostly..lol

HetHert
March 8th, 2007, 10:51 AM
We're also talking about a country that has no qualms about wiping out the Tibetans...Communist or no the Chinese have a history of overkill. Pardon the pun.

Wouldn't it be nice if some pet activist group were to be allowed to go in and vaccinate the pets against rabies?

Shanti
March 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM
China doesn't respect human rights, they're not about to start caring about animals!