PDA

View Full Version : This just makes me sad.. dying turtle

LacunaCobra
March 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I stopped by my fave reptile store to have my boxie's beak and nails groomed and as I was walking around I saw a sickly little wood turt. Her eyes were swollen shut and she was gasping for air. I'm friends with the owner so I said, "What's going on with that turtle?" He said that people brought her in like that. Turns out they lost their electricity for a while and let the turtle get cold and never bothered to make temporary adjustments to the setup. They just abandoned this little gril. He asked me if I'd like to take him home and care for him because he was considering euthanizing her by putting her in the freezer. :grrrrr: My heart just broke. He gave her a hefty dose of Baytril with a ridiculously large needle.. WAY to big for such a little turtle. Now her little leg is so swollen she can't even move it. He sent me home with a vial of Baytril, which I HATE using cuz it causes so much bruising to the injection site, along with a feeding syringe. I was on the phone with my vet when I pulled out of the parking lot. This poor gal is so pitiful. I just hope I can save her.

She's a Central American Ornate Wood turtle and I named her Kes after one of my favorite Star Trek characters.

Since I've had her home, she's managed to get one eye 75% open and the other one about 30% which is a BIG improvement considering they were both swollen shut. They're still pretty puffy tho. She seems to be a lot livlier since she's been in my care. She's stretching her head out and responding to my voice. She's such a sweet turtle. It's so terrible that no one was willing to give her a chance.

She needs lots of healing energy. Her prospects aren't great but she does have a chance now that I have her on fluids and the right antibiotics. Please send her your love! :loveydove

Starlight*Rains
March 9th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Sent! :hugz: All the best to the turtle and yourself. You truely have a heart of gold.

Catiana
March 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
:hugz: and healing energy sent.

Shanti
March 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Its great you came along to help the poor fellow. Did you ask the vet about antibiotics? Bacterial infections pop up fast in our reptilian friends.

Shame the people with their electric shut off didnt give the turtle to the store before it got sick. :( They prob had no way to get heat for the little guy. Better to give it away than make it sick. Glad it found you.

Energy for your rep friend.

person of shadow
March 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM
:hugz: energy for the both of you!

Willow Rosette
March 9th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Oh that is just so sad. You both are deffinately in my prayers.

LacunaCobra
March 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Kes passed away this afternoon. I'm so upset. There is no reason she was made to suffer like that. I know she's at peace now. Thank you for all the kind words and energy. I know Kes thanks you too. :sniffsnif :sadman:

Catiana
March 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM
:hugz:

Cindlady2
March 10th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Peace to little Kes. My she be warm and happy now.

Old Witch
March 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
At least she had someone who loved her for a little while! Good for you!

Willow Rosette
March 11th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Oh honey Im so sorry. At least in her final days she knew she was loved. :hugz:

LacunaCobra
March 12th, 2007, 01:37 AM
My boyfriend is an animal communicator so he was able to talk to her after she had passed. She thanked me, or rather the female primate (lol), for giving her a quiet place where she could die in peace. She said she was in terrible, terrible pain and that death was a release. She also said that no one had ever told her she was pretty until I did and that if I had come along sooner she would've lived to be old. My other turtle that passed away, Mr. Magoo, came later that night and said that he would look for Kes if she came passing by. I'm glad she has a welcoming party waiting for her over there! That makes me feel a little better.

Shanti
March 12th, 2007, 12:15 PM
:(

PandoraHealer
March 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM
i run a reptile rescue out of my home- i see things like that on a daily basis- almost kills you doesn't it. I'm terribly sorry but congrats and thank you for taking her in and 'fixing her up'. best of luck
BB-PH

LacunaCobra
March 16th, 2007, 09:49 PM
i run a reptile rescue out of my home- i see things like that on a daily basis- almost kills you doesn't it. I'm terribly sorry but congrats and thank you for taking her in and 'fixing her up'. best of luck
BB-PH

It's great to find another reptile rescuer out there. It is heartbreaking at times. I'm trying to adopt two eastern boxies from the Mid-Atlantic Turtle and Tortoise Society. They were both hit by cars. One is blind and the other has had one leg amputated already and may need to have the other one done as well. It's so sad. :(