PDA

View Full Version : Review: Llewellyn Tarot by Anna-Marie Ferguson

TheRiverDaughter
March 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Llewellyn Tarot Deck and Book set
By Anna-Marie Ferguson (same creator as Legend: The Arthurian Tarot)
Published by Llewellyn

Card size: 3” x 4.5”
Back image: Brown with gold diamonds and a large red and gold dragon medallion. Upright/Reversed is noticeable from the back of the card, but only in the way that the dragon is facing.
Pictures at: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/llewellyn/

Boxed set contains deck and accompanying 250ish page book. This deck also comes with a red-gold drawstring bag designed for the cards (it’s *very* pretty)

Major Arcana:
8:Strength, 11:Justice, 16: The Horned Man (only major “rename” from the traditional deck)

The trumps are all almost impressionistic in their artwork - very soft, beautiful, paintinglike cards. Each is matched with a Welsh legend: the name of the card is at the bottom, the name of the legend at the top of each card. Some of the traditional elements from the RWS symbolism have been changed (the Chariot driver is male, and in Strength, the warrior is overcoming a boar not a lion) but usually those changes are explained in the book, most often to reflect the land and traditions of Wales and Welsh culture. The characters are dressed in a quasi-medieval/historic style as befits a mythological subject.

Minor Arcana:
Wands: Intellect
Swords: Action
Cups: Emotional/Intuitive
Pentacles: Practical/Material

Fully illustrated minors after the RWS symbolism; court cards are Page, Knight, Queen, King.

The art of the minors is more sketchy than that of the majors - like ink drawings filled in with watercolor. I love the effect that this gives the deck. I like both the impressionistic style of the majors and the more direct style of the minors, and I really like the way some of the cards are drawn (the 10 of Pentacles sticks out).

It came with two "spread cards" - a 5 card "situation" spread called Llew's spread, and a 7 card path/dream spread called the Dragon spread. I have really come to like the 5 card spread and have used it very successfully with other decks as well. The first section of the book also contains a Celtic Cross and a Horseshoe spread.

I have been somewhat disappointed with the Llewellyn book because it is focused on welsh myths rather than the cards themselves – the myths are wonderful and beautifully written, but the interpretations are more lists of possible ideas about the card than actual descriptions. There are card notes for reversed cards. If you are interested in Welsh myth and history, however, you will really enjoy the book.

For a beginner? Yes, because the cards are so close to the traditional RWS interpretations that if you don’t like the book you can look up the card meanings elsewhere. Also, the images on the cards are relatively clear, but could definitely be used in a meditative/intuitive reading style.

All that aside, I LOVE the artwork in this deck. Even if it didn’t come with the book (which it does!) I would still enjoy reading with this deck because I am so drawn to the imagery. I have noticed that the cards take awhile to soften up to shuffling, because they are a little wider than usual, but then I prefer the “well beaten” feel of a deck rather than for it to feel new.

cjtarot
March 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I bout this deck because I had the Fenestra Tarot in my Amazon Cart and needed something else to get me to the "$25/Free Shipping" I honestly didn't think it would be this nice..I HAD a problem with the name..most decks named after publishers or stores are just OK..

I have Anna-Marie Ferguson's Legend: The Arthurian Tarot. In fact that is the deck that drew me back into Tarot. So I figured what the heck..

GUESS WHAT... I LOVE IT!

I am drawn to the images, the colors and the fact that there is a story behind each of the Majors.

My suggestion, look past the RW meanings of the minors and see what draws you or stands out when you read.

Get over the name and buy it...

Cj:viking:

mommydx3
September 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I bought this Tarot deck a few months ago and have had some really great readings from it.

That aside, the artwork is beautiful, I love the soft watercolor images. And the stories in the book are very interesting if you are into Welsh culture and Arthurian legend. I really have enjoyed this Tarot deck.